NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:58 pm

Huge credit to the management team and the owners for what we achieved last season and the position we currently find ourselves in. My main gripe with supporter critics is more about the pathetic barrage of abuse that they threw at the owners at a time when they had an extremely difficult job on their hands.   FSG stepped in at a time when we were in dire straits and very close to going into liquidation. After the appalling mistakes made by Hicks and Gillette It was inevitable that it was going to take a number of years to rectify the problems. The ludicrous suggestion made by certain individuals that the likes of John Henry should utilise his own money to sort out the problems of LFC was not only incredibly stupid but amazingly naive.

The transfer committee that was in existence during Rogers tenure certainly made a number of mistakes. It should however be remembered that they were responsible for the purchase of both Coutinho and Bobby Firmino.  Okay I fully accept that a stopped clock is right twice a day but the committee deserve a little bit more credit than they were ever given. They were operating in the bargain basement and it was inevitable that some of the decisions were going backfire.

As for Brendan Rodgers has the guy got to win the league with Leicester before some of you actually start realising that he is not the snake oil salesman that you suggest. Let’s face it he went pretty close to winning the league with Liverpool something  that is ignored by a lot of people who simply claim that Suarez was the reason we nearly won the league.  I will never dispute the talent and contribution of Luis Suarez however he was one player in a team managed by Rogers that were very unlucky not to win the league.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:01 am

yep I said at the time people were being disgusting towards Brendan. Look now, he's won a bunch of honours in Scotland (ok I know it's hardly champions League stuff!) but he's also doing to Leicester increduble things. A couple of good signings and he'll be right up there. Don't get me wrong I prefer Klopp but we shouldn't forget what Brendan tried to do here and how close he got us.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:07 pm

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:55 am

“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 am

devaney » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:58 pm wrote:Huge credit to the management team and the owners for what we achieved last season and the position we currently find ourselves in. My main gripe with supporter critics is more about the pathetic barrage of abuse that they threw at the owners at a time when they had an extremely difficult job on their hands.   FSG stepped in at a time when we were in dire straits and very close to going into liquidation. After the appalling mistakes made by Hicks and Gillette It was inevitable that it was going to take a number of years to rectify the problems. The ludicrous suggestion made by certain individuals that the likes of John Henry should utilise his own money to sort out the problems of LFC was not only incredibly stupid but amazingly naive.

The transfer committee that was in existence during Rogers tenure certainly made a number of mistakes. It should however be remembered that they were responsible for the purchase of both Coutinho and Bobby Firmino.  Okay I fully accept that a stopped clock is right twice a day but the committee deserve a little bit more credit than they were ever given. They were operating in the bargain basement and it was inevitable that some of the decisions were going backfire.

As for Brendan Rodgers has the guy got to win the league with Leicester before some of you actually start realising that he is not the snake oil salesman that you suggest. Let’s face it he went pretty close to winning the league with Liverpool something  that is ignored by a lot of people who simply claim that Suarez was the reason we nearly won the league.  I will never dispute the talent and contribution of Luis Suarez however he was one player in a team managed by Rogers that were very unlucky not to win the league.

What I was saying all along mate...

Btw, its not only Couts and Firmino, that was brought in durinf the rodgers era. Sturridge became one of the best strikers in england (before his decline). Also sterling was developed.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:42 am

It's funny that the signings you mentioned were all driven by Edwards and his team. Rodgers even initially said no to Sturridge in the summer due to his perceived attitude problem before we got him in Jan. I think Rodgers was pretty poor signings wise. Some of the players he wanted and some that he bought in show how poor an eye he has for players stepping up a level.

But he is a good coach. He did improve individuals and got an awful lot out of a bunch of players that didn't naturally fit together. He's definitely one of the better coaches around.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:42 am wrote:It's funny that the signings you mentioned were all driven by Edwards and his team. Rodgers even initially said no to Sturridge in the summer due to his perceived attitude problem before we got him in Jan. I think Rodgers was pretty poor signings wise. Some of the players he wanted and some that he bought in show how poor an eye he has for players stepping up a level.

But he is a good coach. He did improve individuals and got an awful lot out of a bunch of players that didn't naturally fit together. He's definitely one of the better coaches around.

I think that's a little unfair mate, Rodgers did want Chillwell and Deli Ali before they'd barely kicked a ball in anger in the pro ranks so he could spot talent and let's face it the club was in bargain hunting mode in those days, obviously Jurgen is 10 times the manager Brendan is but if Brendan would have been given the type of money Jurgen has had I'm sure he would have set his sights higher than the likes of Borini, Assaidi and Aspas etc.
When I say the money Jurgen has had as well it's not as if Jurgen's nett spend is anything to write home about, I'm just mentioning it to highlight how little Brendan had.
I've said it a few times on here, some of the best football I've ever seen from any Liverpool side was when Brendan was in charge, that front line of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling was something else, when they got on a roll they were putting 4, 5 and 6 past teams like it was nothing, and I'm not talking about also rans either, we gave teams like Arsenal,  Spurs, Everton and even United some proper hidings as well, sometimes on their own patch. We'd regularly put 3 past City too. That opening 20 minutes against Arsenal when they were top of the league and flying but we put 4 past them and probably should have been 7-0 up after half an hour is probably the most exilherating first half of football I've ever seen. Suarez was off the charts that day.
Pity that team couldn't defend, even with a defence that shipped over 50 goals our attack was that good we still should have won the league, after we beat City at Anfield in a game labelled as the title decider we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go. Henderson getting sent off in the dying seconds of that City game was probably the thing that swung it City's way, he was Gerrards legs.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:02 pm

I agree with the attacking football under Rodgers, it was sublime when we had Suarez.  But our defending was woeful and we were never going to win the league when we were conceding so many goals.

Rodgers was found out when it comes to replacing key players. The day Suarez left, so did any chance we had of competing for the league.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:19 pm wrote:
Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:42 am wrote:It's funny that the signings you mentioned were all driven by Edwards and his team. Rodgers even initially said no to Sturridge in the summer due to his perceived attitude problem before we got him in Jan. I think Rodgers was pretty poor signings wise. Some of the players he wanted and some that he bought in show how poor an eye he has for players stepping up a level.

I think that's a little unfair mate, Rodgers did want Chillwell and Deli Ali before they'd barely kicked a ball in anger in the pro ranks so he could spot talent and let's face it the club was in bargain hunting mode in those days, obviously Jurgen is 10 times the manager Brendan is but if Brendan would have been given the type of money Jurgen has had I'm sure he would have set his sights higher than the likes of Borini, Assaidi and Aspas etc.
When I say the money Jurgen has had as well it's not as if Jurgen's nett spend is anything to write home about, I'm just mentioning it to highlight how little Brendan had.
I've said it a few times on here, some of the best football I've ever seen from any Liverpool side was when Brendan was in charge, that front line of Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling was something else, when they got on a roll they were putting 4, 5 and 6 past teams like it was nothing, and I'm not talking about also rans either, we gave teams like Arsenal,  Spurs, Everton and even United some proper hidings as well, sometimes on their own patch. We'd regularly put 3 past City too. That opening 20 minutes against Arsenal when they were top of the league and flying but we put 4 past them and probably should have been 7-0 up after half an hour is probably the most exilherating first half of football I've ever seen. Suarez was off the charts that day.
Pity that team couldn't defend, even with a defence that shipped over 50 goals our attack was that good we still should have won the league, after we beat City at Anfield in a game labelled as the title decider we were 5 points clear with 3 games to go. Henderson getting sent off in the dying seconds of that City game was probably the thing that swung it City's way, he was Gerrards legs.

Rodgers spent just around £300 mil ( £140mil ) in 3 season so He is wasnt working on a shoestring

take Suarez out of his team and it was mid table at best

The level Suarez was in that season was world class.  ,
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am

Tom Hicks on Sky

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11876502/former-liverpool-owner-tom-hicks-talks-to-sky-sports-news-about-his-time-at-anfield

I’d say Liverpool would not be worth 3 billion if those two cowboys were still in charge. Thank God for RBS as they saved the club.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:12 pm

kazza » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am wrote:Tom Hicks on Sky

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11876502/former-liverpool-owner-tom-hicks-talks-to-sky-sports-news-about-his-time-at-anfield

I’d say Liverpool would not be worth 3 billion if those two cowboys were still in charge. Thank God for RBS as they saved the club.

It's incredible how much money went to American construction firms\architects for a stadium that was never built.

With the financial crisis it was a truly terrible time to be going through what we did and even a club like ours could only find two serious potential buyers. If RBS and SOS hadn't stepped in and we hadn't found a responsible buyer we were probably looking at a path similar to Leeds.

Hearing some of the things that came to light after H&G had been booted out, I'm surprised the club didn't pursue criminal charges against them.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm wrote:
kazza » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:58 am wrote:Tom Hicks on Sky

It's incredible how much money went to American construction firms\architects for a stadium that was never built.

With the financial crisis it was a truly terrible time to be going through what we did and even a club like ours could only find two serious potential buyers. If RBS and SOS hadn't stepped in and we hadn't found a responsible buyer we were probably looking at a path similar to Leeds.

Hearing some of the things that came to light after H&G had been booted out, I'm surprised the club didn't pursue criminal charges against them.

I’m just glad that the fans ( to use an American expression) kicked his @ss!

When he thinks about Liverpool he probably has a facial tick and starts to stutter   :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:22 pm

I fully appreciate that NESV which later became FSG certainly made a number of school boy errors during their first five years of ownership.  All owners make mistakes and ultimately it is very important that they learn from the mistakes and make sure that they don’t repeat them. The following article (click on the link) was penned in 2017.  It’s a little bit long winded but there are some interesting facts and I found the writers conclusion fascinating. His recommendation back in 2017 was that FSG should sell the club and take the profits.  Given what we had achieved in our first seven years under American ownership his conclusion is understandable. I have always been an advocate of patience and thank goodness the owners ignored any recommendations to sell. When the article was written we were into Klopp’s second year so for that very reason I have to disagree with the writers conclusion which admittedly is very easy in hindsight. It is quite unbelievable where we were three years ago and where we are now. If Klopp can actually get this title over the line then both he and the owners should be congratulated for what they have achieved.

https://anfieldindex.com/31340/fsg-foll ... sh-in.html
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:56 am

FSG/Klopp and LFC have greatly improved the outlook since then obviously however one summary point stands out for me which encourages the RM's PSG's City's and Chelsea's in europe to continue to buy success:  'FFP has been an abject failure of a concept; something FSG were hoping would be properly implemented'. UEFA corruption in being unwilling to enforce their own rules has held back medium sized clubs in all european leagues from having a fair chnace of taking on the big boys.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:12 am

kazza » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:58 am wrote:Tom Hicks on Sky

Disgraceful that this gutter scum is able to give these types of interviews and further insult us all.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion