NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Pig Catcher » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm wrote:What does folks think about the clubs attempts at trademarking the word Liverpool ?. They also tried to patent 6 times and Allez Allez Allez  :laugh: .

The club says its to protect themselves from being ripped off by unofficial products but its just greed imo.

Greed in what way? How do you think the club are going to use the trademarks? Do you not buy what Peter Moores said yesterday?
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Pig Catcher » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:15 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:41 pm wrote:What does folks think about the clubs attempts at trademarking the word Liverpool ?. They also tried to patent 6 times and Allez Allez Allez  :laugh: .

The club says its to protect themselves from being ripped off by unofficial products but its just greed imo.

Greed in what way? How do you think the club are going to use the trademarks? Do you not buy what Peter Moores said yesterday?

Yep exactly - it’s nothing to do with greed just about protection- Barce , Real etc do the same
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:40 pm

There is nothing wrong with red expressing an opinion, even if disagree with it. But what's the point of posting it on a discussion forum if you don't tell us what you're basing it on.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:46 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:

I think they should trademark anything that belongs to them but the word Liverpool does not. Liverpool F.C does and i am sure that is already done.

Allez Allez Allez is not even our song and the version sung by fans was made up by fans so they have zero right to it also.

I know he said it was purely football related and i believe him but i think its just a bit too much. If a new local side formed in a few years and wanted to call themselves Liverpool, Celtic, United or whatever they more than likely wouldnt be allowed to.

They have done extremely well in commercializing a lot of areas and hats off to them for that but i just think trying to patent this kind of stuff is stretching it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Pig Catcher » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:54 pm

There is already a local side with "Liverpool" in it. Our CEO went and met with them and said the trademark is not aimed at them and we'd be happy to work with them to find a legal solution to give them protection. The trademark is primarily aimed at counterfeit merchandise that is being produced abroad and being imported to the UK.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:35 pm

Pig Catcher wrote:There is already a local side with "Liverpool" in it. Our CEO went and met with them and said the trademark is not aimed at them and we'd be happy to work with them to find a legal solution to give them protection. The trademark is primarily aimed at counterfeit merchandise that is being produced abroad and being imported to the UK.

I read that they met alright but only after objections were raised. What would they do, say give them an exemption or a lease of some kind. While these owners might be lax a bit with it that is not to say future owners would. The word Liverpool isnt theres to bargain with.

Liverpool.F.C on the other hand is and in the case of dodgy gear its more down to the authorities is the countrys where they are being produced. There wouldnt be a market for it if it didnt cost so much for the original in the first place. We release a new kit every single year as well and despite any of that we are set to sign a new bumper deal so i doubt its really costing us that much.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:54 pm

How can they trademark the name of a city? A city that was there for 700 years before the football club even existed. I love LFC but the club doesn't define this city, this city is not just about a football club.
The word Liverpool belongs to this city and the people who live in it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:23 am

Yup... and I'm sure evertonians have the right to be associated to Liverpool, the city, as well...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:19 pm

My son took a holiday in Mexico and sent me a photo of him standing outside a department store called " Liverpool"

I was gobsmacked, it was Mexico FFS !

Went on wiki and found

Liverpool, first called The Cloth Case, was founded in 1847 by Jean Baptiste Ebrard, a Frenchman who first started selling clothes in cases in Mexico City's downtown. In 1872, he started importing merchandise from Europe[citation needed]. Much of the merchandise was shipped via Liverpool, England, prompting Ebrard to adopt the name Liverpool for his store, in 1862 he opened its second store and since then it has continued growing[citation needed].

Agree with those that say "how can you trademark the name of a city"

For most of the world if you ask them about  "Liverpool" they'll immediately reference our club or the Beatles !

Also on wiki is the history of a club in Uruguay name "Liverpool FC"  would love to see them invited for a friendly at Anfield.

Personally f*ck trade marks, I'm happy to see Liverpool's name displayed at every opportunity.   :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:19 pm wrote:My son took a holiday in Mexico and sent me a photo of him standing outside a department store called " Liverpool"

I was gobsmacked, it was Mexico FFS !

Went on wiki and found

Liverpool, first called The Cloth Case, was founded in 1847 by Jean Baptiste Ebrard, a Frenchman who first started selling clothes in cases in Mexico City's downtown. In 1872, he started importing merchandise from Europe[citation needed]. Much of the merchandise was shipped via Liverpool, England, prompting Ebrard to adopt the name Liverpool for his store, in 1862 he opened its second store and since then it has continued growing[citation needed].

Agree with those that say "how can you trademark the name of a city"

For most of the world if you ask them about  "Liverpool" they'll immediately reference our club or the Beatles !

Also on wiki is the history of a club in Uruguay name "Liverpool FC"  would love to see them invited for a friendly at Anfield.

Personally f*ck trade marks, I'm happy to see Liverpool's name displayed at every opportunity.   :buttrock

My Grandad was a merchant seaman, he sailed all over South and Central America in the 1920's on battered old tramp steamers - Buenos Aires, Valparaiso, Montevideo....you name it he'd been there.  Liverpool was the go to port for trade with all the America's so it's no surprise that evidence of those links still exist.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool ... Montevideo)

:laugh: Always thought they were called Liverpool Montevideo but its actually Liverpool F.C!!

monte.JPG
monte.JPG (26.08 KiB) Viewed 829 times
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:42 pm wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C._(Montevideo)

:laugh: Always thought they were called Liverpool Montevideo but its actually Liverpool F.C!!

monte.JPG

Founded over a century ago as well. There's an Everton in Chile too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:39 pm

They should stop acting the bollix and focus on players. How could a business possibly hope to get away with this? I mean really!!
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:32 am

Seems like they're just using the club to make as much money as they can and then sell for 4 x more than what they bought it for.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:10 am

UvS xR4GEx » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:32 am wrote:Seems like they're just using the club to make as much money as they can and then sell for 4 x more than what they bought it for.

Why didn’t the sell up when they were offered a billion for the club from a Chinese multi billionaire

They may end up selling at one stage but it’s not their aim
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion