MAMADOU SAKHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:47 am

aCe' » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:03 am wrote:Will be interesting to see whether playing 2 left footed CBs can form a good partnership.
15mill is about 5mill more than I would have liked us to pay for him but theres no doubt hes a very good player and a good addition to the squad. Hopefully, this doesnt mean that Agger (or even Skrtel for that matter) might be on his way out because I think the 4 we have now (Skrtel, Toure, Agger, Sakho) + the fullbacks give us one of the strongest defensive units (in terms of quality in the squad) in the league.

If we can keep what we have in January and look to build on it by adding a central midfielder and more importantly another top attacking talent then I think we'll be in good shape.

Do you think Sakho will start the next game ? I think Skrtel deserves to keep his place after his performance in the last game. Agger could be under threat though possibly ?
Benny The Noon

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:34 pm

I wouldn't change the CB pairing for the next game, or the game after it for that matter (assuming they perform well). I think we're more likely to see him feature as a sub (go 3 at the back or as a LB) in the next couple of weeks rather than have him start. Perhaps a start in the league cup to get him adjusted to the side and the pace of the league. Might be risky putting him up against RVP and co on his full debut but I'm confident he'll adjust quickly because he has all the tools to be a good player in England. My major concern as far as he's concerned is the fact that he's left footed; so is our best CB. Traditionally, managers have opted against playing 2 left footed CBs and it'll be interesting to see what Rodgers has planned and how it pans out. We payed big money for him and I cant see him being on the bench for too long.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I'm guessing Sakho played as the left sided CB when he was playing for PSG ?

If it comes down to a choice between him and Agger then I would be surprised if Agger wasnt picked. That would leave Sakho on the bench. Or possibly we might be moving towards a three at the back scenario ?
Benny The Noon

Postby aCe' » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm wrote:I'm guessing Sakho played as the left sided CB when he was playing for PSG ?

If it comes down to a choice between him and Agger then I would be surprised if Agger wasnt picked. That would leave Sakho on the bench. Or possibly we might be moving towards a three at the back scenario ?

He did play as the left sided CB at PSG.

If Rodgers was the type of manager to adjust his style to the best players at his disposal then he'd definitely consider the 3-5-2 system.

Mignolet

Toure         Agger          Sakho
Johnson                                                     Enrique

Gerrard             Lucas
                               Coutinho

Sturridge          Suarez

Its a big risk though given the results so far this season. Rodgers doesnt strike me as a manager who would change his style to accommodate players in the side but Suarez and Sakho are two players who expect to be in the starting 11 and both have the quality to be largely influential to the side. Either way, it's a welcome headache for the manager I would think. Aspas is likely to drop to the bench for Suarez to come in but its a harder choice when it comes to 15mill new signing Sakho. Dont forget, Llori is another new CB in the that we paid big money for and he'll find it much harder to get a game with 4 more experienced CBs ahead of him fighting for 2 spots. Signing both Llori and Sakho without letting anyone leave was a bit surprising but I wouldnt take it a sign that we'll be changing the system anytime soon.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:15 pm

That certainly looks a more solid system - it certainly adds strength to a weak area as well as looking more structured up front. A bit like the Evans days with Coutinho playing the Macca role.

Certainly a lot of work for Enrique and Johnson but also plays to their strengths.
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:00 pm

aCe' » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:12 pm wrote:
Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm wrote:I'm guessing Sakho played as the left sided CB when he was playing for PSG ?

He did play as the left sided CB at PSG.

If Rodgers was the type of manager to adjust his style to the best players at his disposal then he'd definitely consider the 3-5-2 system.

Mignolet

Toure         Agger          Sakho
Johnson                                                     Enrique

Gerrard             Lucas
                               Coutinho

Sturridge          Suarez

Its a big risk though given the results so far this season. Rodgers doesnt strike me as a manager who would change his style to accommodate players in the side but Suarez and Sakho are two players who expect to be in the starting 11 and both have the quality to be largely influential to the side. Either way, it's a welcome headache for the manager I would think. Aspas is likely to drop to the bench for Suarez to come in but its a harder choice when it comes to 15mill new signing Sakho. Dont forget, Llori is another new CB in the that we paid big money for and he'll find it much harder to get a game with 4 more experienced CBs ahead of him fighting for 2 spots. Signing both Llori and Sakho without letting anyone leave was a bit surprising but I wouldnt take it a sign that we'll be changing the system anytime soon.

I like the look of that myself.
Johnson may be out for some time though so who would you go with ?
Henderson right wing back ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:04 pm

Wisdom would my choice but the daring pick would be McLauhglin
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:04 pm wrote:Wisdom would my choice but the daring pick would be McLauhglin

I dont think Wisdom would be good enough going forwards me for a wing back role personally.
Mcloughlin looks like he is going to be a top player, I was very disappointed he didnt play against Notts County.
Given that he didnt it's highly unlikely he will get much time this season imo.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Yeah I agree McLaughlin won't play which is a shame as think he is going to be a massive star - got ability that can make him out best RB since Trigger

Wisdom isn't as strong going forward but neither is Henderson from the wide area.

I'm pretty sure we won't be playing 3 at the back anyway so it will prob be Wisdom at right back unless Kelly is fit enough
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:28 pm

Unfortunately, Kelly is nowhere near fit enough, at least that's what I heard. I wasn't too worried about Johnson's injury, but people are saying that Kelly has looked very unfit when he played for the reserves and he might take a long time to get his fitness back. Certainly I wouldn't risk him in league games for now since every game is important. So I guess it's just Wisdom then, but I wouldn't mind risking it with McLaughlin at all.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Yeah I have heard the same about Kelly - rumblings that the training staff aren't happy at all with his current fitness and his work ethic since pre season. Hopefully he can recover the fitness because I think he has the ability to be an outstanding CB.
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:53 am

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tadhger09 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:12 pm

It will be interesting to see if he starts against Swansea. Himself and Agger maybe?
tadhger09
LFC Basic Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has warned new arrival Mamadou Sakho he will have to earn his place on merit as an £18million transfer fee provides no guarantees.

Managing director Ian Ayre described the France international as the club's "marquee signing" of the summer following his move from Paris St-Germain on deadline day.

However, the well-regarded centre-back will not be given an easy route into the first team.

"It doesn't matter one iota. It is not me that puts the price on them," said Rodgers.

"You judge the player on what he is giving you every single day. That's why I think it was unfair on the likes of Jordan Henderson.

"Jordan didn't set the price tag (£16million) on his head - he came in for a lot of money as a young player.

"He's shown over time and with confidence that you can be a very good player. For me it doesn't matter whether it was £1, a free transfer or £50million.

"You want good players with strong mentalities, players that are willing to be brave on the ball and want to win games - irrespective of the price."

Competition in central defence is now especially fierce, highlighted by out-of-favour Martin Skrtel impressing last time out in the win over Manchester United on his first appearance of the season in place of the injured Kolo Toure, who himself had enjoyed a good start to his Reds career.

Skrtel's future at the club appeared in doubt from the moment he was dropped last January to allow for the return of the now-retired veteran Jamie Carragher.

Speculation has linked the Slovakia international to a reunion with former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez at Napoli but Rodgers has played that down.

Competition

"It was hard on him at the beginning of the season, like last January when I made the change, I just felt that we needed experience in there," said Rodgers.

"Kolo came in and did really well in the games that he played but I've got no doubts about Martin Skrtel, he's a very good player and the competition will help him.

"I think that has been part of the problem here; players that have been comfortable and never really had competition.

"It is incredible credit to him for how professional he has been. He has never moaned once despite lots of speculation about him going here, there and everywhere.

"He and I have spoken a number of times, he knows where he has been at - he has never moaned or groaned, he has just got on with his work, done extra work so when that time came he was going to be ready.

"He was absolutely brilliant against Manchester United but that doesn't give me a problem, it just gives me a nice problem to think about. That's my job as the manager."

Defensively Liverpool have been strong so far, winning all their league matches 1-0 - extending a run which has seen them keep clean sheets in eight of their last 10 league games, conceding just three times.

Rodgers is likely to have all four senior centre-backs (vice-captain Daniel Agger included) available at Swansea on Monday but will be without right-back Glen Johnson, who is likely to be out for a further four to five weeks with a sprained ankle.

"Fortunately for us, with the way it works out and the international breaks, he'll probably only miss about four Premier League games," he said.

"Glen is the type of player that you never realise how much you miss him until he's not there. He played a lot of games last season and sometimes you can take that for granted with him.

"Roy (Hodgson) was maybe thinking the same - and then he didn't play for England. He'll go away, work hard and keep himself in the best shape he can. We're hoping over the course of the next five weeks he should be back."
Benny The Noon

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 am

Rodgers reckons Sakho "looks an absolute monster in training".

Get the feeling though he won't be picked for Swansea tonight, I reckon Toure will get the nod to partner Agger.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion