Luis garcia - Trickster and ball waster, available .

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dawson99 » Thu May 04, 2006 12:31 pm

he sucks his thumb because he became a dad, its his tribute to his kid
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DAV » Thu May 04, 2006 12:34 pm

Garcia is an excellent squad player.
Not someone who I would want to see start every week.
But great to have on the bench.
I dont know why, but for me he seems to preform much better when coming on has a sub.
Maybe not to the same exstent as DAVID FAIRCLOUGH, but still a player worth keeping.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu May 04, 2006 12:39 pm

dawson99 wrote:he sucks his thumb because he became a dad, its his tribute to his kid

i know  :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 pm

:bump

Sabre and I have starting discussing this in the "Spain vs. Ukraine" thread but I think it might get lost there.  Soooooo, I've reproduced our comments here as well for the sake of a renewed discussion on our little Trickster/Ball Waster...

Sabre wrote:Just for the sake of discussion Ironically for the Luis Garcia, trickster and ball waster camp, LG is playing on the starting eleven, where as the so much desired Joaquin is not. Is it just me or we just don't appreciate King Luis as much as we should?

Bad Bob wrote:Definitely a bit under-appreciated in my opinion, Sabre.  The trouble is, in a standard 4-4-2 where midfielders rather than fullbacks provide the width most of the time (as is usually played in England), Garcia struggles a bit when stuck out on the right or left.  His natural inclination, as today's game illustrated, is to collect the ball on the wing and then cut infield.  Conversely, he likes to drift infield on the weak side (when the ball is on the opposite flank) and show for the ball in the "hole" or at the edge of the box.  Maintaining width by hugging the touchline and stretching opposition defenses down the flank is really not his game at all.

Which leads to my, "for the sake of discussion" question...

Given that we seem a little strapped for cash this transfer season, especially since Cisse will likely remain on the books.  Might we consider bringing in one 'proven' striker and playing Luis more as a second striker next season.  We've seen him take some wicked shots from distance, get into the box to latch onto lose balls/through balls and also to create chances for other players (such as Villa in the second half today).  That seems to be the brief for a 'second striker.'  I think we might get a lot more consistency and potency out of little Luis in that role and it provides the added benefit of saving us some cash.  Just a thought.

Sabre wrote:Spot on. I had some doubts, but since I saw him bagging a hat trick against Slovaquia, I just thought, he scores three goals, he knows finishing as a striker, he's comfortable in small spaces, why the fúck can't he be a second striker just behind the typical "9"?

The stats say that he loses a lot of balls. The stats also say that Ronaldinho is so far the man that has lost most balls in the world cup. The stats are cráp if they are not read properly. It's common knowledge that if you have to lose a ball, you can lose it in forwards positions, not in midfield.

Due to all this I think he must and will play as a second striker.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Excellent points guys. Obviously if moves break down in and around the opposing penalty area, it's nowhere near as big a deal as if possession is turned over on the half-way line, or worse, in our own half. Luis has blown hot and cold when he's played from the start out on the right, but when he's been brought on to play up with the strikers, goals have come and he's looked dangerous.

I think whatever signings we make, his chances of making the first 11 on the right will be greatly diminished, and he was hardly a regular out there with Cisse as competition. I definitely agree that he's an option as a second striker though, playing off Crouch or someone like Kuyt. He's always a threat from distance, and - as we've seen a few times - he's phenomenal in the air for his height. If he develops an understanding with one or more strike partners (some of his touches and passes in the final third have looked a little peculiar - at times due to colleagues simply not being on his wavelength), he's more than capable of holding down at least a semi-regular place up front.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:49 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:If he develops an understanding with one or more strike partners (some of his touches and passes in the final third have looked a little peculiar - at times due to colleagues simply not being on his wavelength), he's more than capable of holding down at least a semi-regular place up front.

That's a key point, Ivor...

Garcia can make some, shall we say, 'unique' decisions with the ball and, conversely, he can also get a little stroppy if he's not fed the ball where and when he wants it (as he did with Torres a couple of times today).  Those issues will largely resolve themselves, IMO, if he's given enough time to forge an understanding with Crouch, Robbie or New Striker X. 

Also, Sabre's spot on about his comfort with the ball at his feet in tight spaces.  I've seen him dance out of seemingly impossible tight spaces numerous times, producing openings for himself and especially for others.  IMO, he has a tremendous knack for unlocking defenses and producing a useful final ball for his strike partner.  No matter which and how many strikers we buy this summer, I'd like to see more of Luis as second striker.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:00 am

Garcia falls into a similar catagory to Craig Johnston, Pat Berger, Danny Murphy, Nick Barmby and Vlad Smicer etc. in that no one can quite decide if they are a success or not. Either through injury loss of form or inconsistant form they never quite gain the acceptance of the majority of fans or managers as first team regulars. Even though they score important goals, have outstanding games and generally perform to a reasonable level they never quite maintain the level of form required to secure their place in the team longterm. Perhaps its because they are versatile "jack of all trades" becoming valued squad players rather than first teamers. I cant see Garcia ever becoming a first choice second striker for Liverpool but I do see him as a valuable squad player who can fill that role as and when required quite successfully.
account deleted by request

Postby Judge » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:29 am

i like garcia coz his wifes fit

:D  :p  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:56 am

Judge wrote:i like garcia coz his wifes fit

Any chance of posting a pic then !!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:32 am

Garcia will get better and better in the Premiership. I agree that, at times, he can be frustrating. I believe Rafa sees him as a player for Europe. With increased competition coming from the signing of new forward and wingers Garcia will be under pressure to perform at a consistent level. Or, as Morientes found out, he will get the bullet!
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:42 am

cheeky sod  :D

Agreed Bad Bob, thats what i like about garcia, trying to find narrow spaces to exploit an attack. I think we will see more of him next season because of Rafa's rotation policy
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:50 am

bavlondon wrote:

Any chance of posting a pic then !!

click here and scroll down

:p
Last edited by Judge on Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:50 am

:bump

sorry boys n girls, this has to be bumped to be in time for the new season
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 am

Judge wrote: :bump

sorry boys n girls, this has to be bumped to be in time for the new season

Why ?

On What grounds ?

If there is something else to add then do so.

If its just cus you started (and brought nothing else constructive to) the thread then dont bother.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:48 pm

:sleepy:
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion