Luis garcia?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:42 am

Whats happening with little Luis?
I know there are rumours that he cant play a full 90 minutes because of a supposed knee injury, but he played a full 45 minutes for Spain on wednesday night, more than he is playing for Liverpool apart from the Benfica game.
Is he going to be nothing more than a super sub now?
Or will he get more playing time in the CL if we progress?
Bit of a mystery to me if he is injured he should have had the op a few weeks ago and he would be recovering now.

I would like to see Luis play just behind a striker not on the RW as such and I think Jan Kromkamp should develop into a right sided midfielder for the time being.

If Luis is going to be nothing but a super sub I dont think he will be to pleased about it, I know he gives the ball away and know he can be frustrating at times but he has flair and can add that bit of magic and get that much sort after goal.

I miss him TBH and he will be needed against Benfica at home next week cause since he has been missing out of the squad the goals have seemed to have dried up a bit., I dont have the stats maybe someone can look them up as to how many goals we have scored when Luis has been on the pitch to those in his absence.
Last edited by Ciggy on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 am

Sofar Luis hasn't really been at his best this season it's fair to say. It often happens in football that those who arrive on the scene with a blaze of glory find in difficult to press on in their second season and he definately hasn't been helped by his recurring injury. He's also been a touch unlucky in that he started out by playing out of position wide-right, but always with the rider that I'm sure Rafa had him down as the central point of a five man midfield once he got the personel to play his favoured 4-5-1. Since then as we know Rafa has been at least temporarily converted to a 4-4-2 and Luis doesn't look like a natural first pick in English conditions, particularly when he's not on the top of his game.
My guess is that once Rafa gets over his mind-numbing obsession with proving himself right about Morientes, the door may open for the little Spaniard. He can join an ever growing list who look like they may be able to play alongside Crouch, and in the short-term may once again find himself helping out wide-right in games where Gerrard/Alonso get rested.
My suspicion is that if we are going to win the FA Cup, or go close to winning the Champions League then we are going to need the little maestro to find some form. He provides that little spark of magic, that inspiration and cunning that can make the difference against the very best. It was round about this stage last season that he really caught fire with the goals which carried us to Istanbul and he is definately capable of doing it again, he just needs the confidence of a couple of good performances. He also like so many other players, needs the immoveable object of our strictly non-contributory first pick centre forward to be nudged aside and then we can properly have a look at him.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:21 am

He may not have been at his best but he has certainly scored a lot of goals this season 9 in all i think, That figure becomes a whole lot bigger when you consider he is being used as a sub most of the time.

Luis Garcia is our best finisher of the ball and should be played as the support striker he is there it limits his passing which we will all agree is pretty bad at times and allow him to run at defences.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:36 am

if he is 100% fit he needs to be playing just off the front man. he has the uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time, and has the ability to do the unexpected.

He dose give the ball away alot and seems light weight for the epl but he is far more likely to score than nando, but rafa is enjoying banging his head against a brick wall at the moment and he must believe that if nando gets 1 the dam will break and he will get a hatful, in rafa we trust comes into that one.

what will the front line be against charlton? nando and fowler would be my guess

i would like to see crouch and fowler, or fowler and luis for a bit of craft up front.

IN RAFA WE TRUST :)
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby DZed » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:13 pm

I think he should start more but also rotate games. He's a great player (especially in the champions league), but we need more of that form domestically! He's no doubt clutch at times!
DZed

Postby 2520years » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 pm

I like Garcia but his best position is linking the midfield to the attack.  Rafa has decided to go with a 4-4-2 for now, which I agree with, so the shape of the team comes before an individual player.  He's a good substitute to bring on in the EPL and he's good behind a striker in Europe.  Maybe he'll play against Benfica, but I suspect it'll be 4-4-2 again.

I can't see Rafa wanting him to go because he adds options to the squad/team, which is what Rafa likes more than anything else.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Effes » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:36 pm

I think Garcia should take over at RM so SG can return to the centre.

I think it's imperative that he starts against Benfica, we need his little bit of magic to help us get through.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:40 pm

i think we shud try garcia up front with kromkamp on the right and finnan right back i watched the charlon game yeserday and cromkamp put in sone pretty decent balls i think garcia up front as he is quick skillfull and a good finisher
Kopite-Jud

Postby Garymac » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:49 pm

Sorry to go off the subject slightly here but did anyone find Kromkamp strange yesterday, when he took a touch on the ball he looked great, moving forward bombing down the line (although he needed to be told by Gerrard to do so at times) good touch, superb tackling, hes tackling was fantastic yesterday, he stayed on his feet and just kept taking the ball off the players with ease.

But sometimes he would get in and would just boot the ball anywhere like he didnt look confident or a little nervous but i ws thinking "how can he be nervous when he went on a mazy run about 2 minutes ago". Think what Kromkamp lacks at times is concentration, he panics a little when he doesnt have to but apart rom that he looks a really good player.

Now about little Luis, to be honest i think he might not be here next year, he just doesnt look like he fits into this side anymore, he is never going to hold a regular place in the side and whether he will be happy having a place on the bench i dont know.

If hes happy with a subs role then id defo keep him but for someone on the fringes of the Spain team i dont think thats going to be good enough for him.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Gerrard30391 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:35 pm

i think he is rubbish at the minute to be honest. I think he is liverpools worst player at present. he can't control. every 10 or so games he comes up with one (yes one) bit of magic. Lets hope he can get some good form for a number of matches.
YNWA!
Last edited by Gerrard30391 on Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:08 pm

excellent player on his day but can we really rely on him to produce the goods week in week out? i said at the end of last season that with the impending arrivals he would be a fringe player this season and that's the case.

at the end of the day, as brilliant as he can be, his ball retention is pi$$ poor and with all the massive games we've got coming up we can't afford this luxury.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:57 am

Maybe rafa is saving garcia for the benfica game....who knows ?

After last saturday's display by our strikers.....garcia looks like our most potent goalscorer at the moment....... :D
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion