LUCAS LEIVA - OFFICIAL THREAD

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:18 pm

I was speaking more long term. Short term I'd probably agree. Long term though I'm not sure any of our current CM's are good enough (discluding Can; he looks promising). Henderson can do a job as part of the squad, and Lucas and Gerrard can maybe help the transition to a new-look midfield if used correctly. Again, my disgruntlement is mostly with BR.
In the short term BR has to use what we have in the best way he can. He's not doing that and the players end up carrying the can.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:06 pm

RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:18 pm wrote:I was speaking more long term. Short term I'd probably agree. Long term though I'm not sure any of our current CM's are good enough (discluding Can; he looks promising). Henderson can do a job as part of the squad, and Lucas and Gerrard can maybe help the transition to a new-look midfield if used correctly. Again, my disgruntlement is mostly with BR.
In the short term BR has to use what we have in the best way he can. He's not doing that and the players end up carrying the can.

So we can agree that Lucas is the most viable option available to us ? We can also concur that the manager is equally complicit in overlooking the most obvious
solutions to our current woes in alleviating the concerted pressure on the defence by not utilising  a proper holding midfielder ?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:14 pm

:laugh:
Don't think he's the answer myself but is the better option for that position than gerrard at the moment. Based on his appearance in madrid he deserves more game time.
maybe a midfield of lucas, gerrard, can and coutinho would be a good option for the trip to palace
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:41 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:06 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:18 pm wrote:I was speaking more long term. Short term I'd probably agree. Long term though I'm not sure any of our current CM's are good enough (discluding Can; he looks promising). Henderson can do a job as part of the squad, and Lucas and Gerrard can maybe help the transition to a new-look midfield if used correctly. Again, my disgruntlement is mostly with BR.

So we can agree that Lucas is the most viable option available to us ? We can also concur that the manager is equally complicit in overlooking the most obvious
solutions to our current woes in alleviating the concerted pressure on the defence by not utilising  a proper holding midfielder ?

We do agree, yes. Just looking from different perspectives. Some of the money received from Barca should have gone into the holding position. Since it didn't then we must rely on Lucas who so far as I know is not in Rodgers plans. I'm naive to finances and accountancy and so I don't know if there's a financial reason we couldn't bring in a player before being free if Lucas' wage. I'd not have thought so though. Suarez leaving must have freed up significant funds.
The team isn't working out at the moment and we could point to any number of factors as to why. I know Gerrard playing as DM is one of your favourites and I partly agree.
If it was down to me in the short term I'd perhaps drop Hendo. I've said elsewhere I believe he's a very slow player with the subconscious habit of sucking the pace out of the game to better suit his style.
Gerrard should play less, but he still has plenty to offer. His experience, versatility and ability to lift the crowd make him an ideal squad player if we can renogotiatr his contract satisfactorily.
And yes, all of this comes down to Rodgers who fairly or unfairly must answer one way or another for his decisions.
And so we go full circle to wether or not Rodgers can move us forwards or not. What do the Red beergoggles see? :D
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:05 pm

The way our season is going Rodgers will pick Lucas and he'll end up having a nightmare.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:11 pm

RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:41 pm wrote:
We do agree, yes. Just looking from different perspectives. Some of the money received from Barca should have gone into the holding position. Since it didn't then we must rely on Lucas who so far as I know is not in Rodgers plans. I'm naive to finances and accountancy and so I don't know if there's a financial reason we couldn't bring in a player before being free if Lucas' wage. I'd not have thought so though. Suarez leaving must have freed up significant funds.
The team isn't working out at the moment and we could point to any number of factors as to why. I know Gerrard playing as DM is one of your favourites and I partly agree.
If it was down to me in the short term I'd perhaps drop Hendo. I've said elsewhere I believe he's a very slow player with the subconscious habit of sucking the pace out of the game to better suit his style.
Gerrard should play less, but he still has plenty to offer. His experience, versatility and ability to lift the crowd make him an ideal squad player if we can renogotiatr his contract satisfactorily.
And yes, all of this comes down to Rodgers who fairly or unfairly must answer one way or another for his decisions.
And so we go full circle to wether or not Rodgers can move us forwards or not. What do the Red beergoggles see? :D

I think Rodgers will eventually turn it around ,all managers go through  difficult periods ,only Rodgers difficulties are currently compounded with concerted media
pressure ,you only have to look at the start Dortmund have had in the Bundesliga under arguably the most innovative young manager in Europe to see the inherent  difficulties in staying true to your football philosophies and basic ideals.

At this moment in time ,Rodgers has abandoned his so called blueprint for how he believes the game should be played ,and to an extent diluted his basic principles
by pandering to players who have no place in the structure of a team for the foreseeable future....Why he's strayed from this is a complete enigma,but as the man
in charge of this great club I'm pretty confident with the fans backing and trust he will be as equally as driven as the supporters in seeing this team drag themselves
up that league table .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:57 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:11 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:41 pm wrote:

I think Rodgers will eventually turn it around ,all managers go through  difficult periods ,only Rodgers difficulties are currently compounded with concerted media
pressure ,you only have to look at the start Dortmund have had in the Bundesliga under arguably the most innovative young manager in Europe to see the inherent  difficulties in staying true to your football philosophies and basic ideals.

At this moment in time ,Rodgers has abandoned his so called blueprint for how he believes the game should be played ,and to an extent diluted his basic principles
by pandering to players who have no place in the structure of a team for the foreseeable future....Why he's strayed from this is a complete enigma,but as the man
in charge of this great club I'm pretty confident with the fans backing and trust he will be as equally as driven as the supporters in seeing this team drag themselves
up that league table .

Well I hope you're right and time will tell. I'm more skeptical. Why a quality DM wasn't brought in is one of many questions. I hope BR isn't as stubborn as he's currently appearing. As people have said...we're not even trying anything different. Maybe he has sudden rabbit in the headlights system and he'll snap out of it before he's squished. If nothing else then I'm sure Suarez's presence and Sturridges form relieved some of the natural pressure and now he's feeling it in full. Moyes of course faced the pressure without a Suarez to make it seem easier.
For BR (even though it's a Lucas thread) it's now about wether he sinks or manages to swim now that he's seeing what it's really about.
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:55 pm

Lucas's qualities were there for all to see earlier,Rodgers constantly overlooking him has been frankly mystifying he affords this team a platform to push on 
and a level of protection for the defence that few can give. He was everywhere today and the solidity he brings to this team should never be underestimated.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:26 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:55 pm wrote:Lucas's qualities were there for all to see earlier,Rodgers constantly overlooking him has been frankly mystifying he affords this team a platform to push on 
and a level of protection for the defence that few can give. He was everywhere today and the solidity he brings to this team should never be underestimated.

Great should be easier to sell now. Championship level at best.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 pm

ballotelliman » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:41 pm wrote:my god sorry to go off topic but how weird is this.  An israeli cricket umpire dies after being struck on jaw just 3 days after australian dies.

Some conflicting reports that he may have had an heart attack after being struck on the chest but as you say that is an odd (and terrible) coincidence.
RIP to both Phil Hughes and the umpire.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:22 am

Our record this season with or without Lucas in the side:

With Lucas: P 10 W 7 D1 L2

Without Lucas: P 11 W2 D2 L7

You do the maths.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:24 pm

stmichael » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 am wrote:Our record this season with or without Lucas in the side:

You do the maths.

Glad someone appritiates Lucas.  It does my t!ts in when people say he's sh!t. 

Just because he doesn't spray 40 yard passes and rakes in goals / assists he's "poor".

What he does do goes largely un-noticed by 80% of people. He tackles, he recycles the ball and his positioning is class. He makes alot of tackles and wins a  very high percentage of them. 

If this means nothing to some of you lot (lets not forget Gerrard made 0% tackles against Palace) then your football knowledge is bleak.
Kopite-Jud

Postby only me » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:45 pm

Kopite-Jud » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 am wrote:
stmichael » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:22 am wrote:Our record this season with or without Lucas in the side:

You do the maths.

Just because he doesn't spray 40 yard passes and rakes in goals / assists he's "poor".

What he does do goes largely un-noticed by 80% of people. He tackles, he recycles the ball and his positioning is class. He makes alot of tackles and wins a  very high percentage of them. 

If this means nothing to some of you lot (lets not forget Gerrard made 0% tackles against Palace) then your football knowledge is bleak.

KJ ,Lucas doesn't tackle he fouls! I've counted at least 6-7 ...The Fact SG stinks as DM doesn't make Lucas a good one at it. You can take any player out their and task him on fouling his man to stop play ,you don't need to be a genius at this. Leicester had us on the back foot for many minutes of the match so to say Lucas or the rest did a good job containing the MF is just not true.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Kopite-Jud » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 am wrote:

You do the maths.

there are many fans that appreciate the importance of Lucas, unfortunately there are some that never actually see the little things that are vital in a game... and there are others like the "only me" character who are just total toss pots
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 pm

If he scores most would say he had a good game, that is the limit of many's football knowledge. He does the unseen dirty work that all managers need. If not for Gerrard he would play every game and yet he is a far more a disciplined player than Gerrard. I'm not saying we cannot do better but he is the best we have at that role. We look a lot more solid at the back when he plays.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion