LIVERPOOL VS NEWCASTLE - The season starts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:29 am

Our little Luis played well last night added that bit of spark weve been missing, unlucky with his shot that hit the post also, I think he will play against Spurs on saturday.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby car » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:57 am

Bellamy had a bad preformance but i am sure it will be better when he scored first(at the end he was a newcastle player or better said oldcastle:D )! remember last year crouch played 7 games and didnt score and then he scored a hattrick!
car

Postby bigxchris » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:00 am

I think bellamys biggest problem at the moment is that same as we had with Crouch when he first arrived, he is so desperate to get goals that he pressuring himself to a point where I think he is putting himself off!
"Holy crip, he's a crapple"
bigxchris

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:33 am

edit.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 am

A Newcastle take on Bellamys bust up, the game and "that goal"

BELLAMY AND McDERMOTT "KICK OFF" IN TUNNEL

The very day Terry McDermott returned to Newcastle under the leadership of Graeme Souness, he made a blistering attack on the departed Craig Bellamy who had just gone to Celtic on loan. A personal attack that shocked us all: "I've never met Bellamy, but from what I've heard, he is not a nice person. Newcastle don't need him and I hope he never plays for Newcastle again."

An "interesting" comment, to say the least from McDermott, especially as their paths had never crossed previous. But the ex-Reds player - and the new Reds player - clashed in the tunnel at Anfield after the game on Wednesday. Bellamy had said previous he wanted to meet the Newcastle coach, and that certainly happened out of view of the TV cameras.

Both managers played down suggestions of the incident in the tunnel.

Benitez: "I heard some shouting but it was only two or three seconds. It was nothing more than that."

Roeder: "I'm not aware of anything. Terry McDermott is an experienced coach and that would be way below him to get involved in anything like that when he represents a club like ours."

ROEDER: "ALONSO TECHNIQUE WAS BRILLIANT"

Xabi Alonso scored a wonder goal against Newcastle and Glenn Roeder was quick to praise the player for having the ability to try it.

Roeder: "I don't think fans realise the technique or how difficult striking a ball like that is. It was a brilliant bit of skill but having said that if Steve hadn't slipped it would have been a great long pass into his arms."

He added: "We were disappointed to come in a goal down at half-time.

"For all Liverpool's pressure I thought we defended well but their goal was a shocking one for us tactically."

Wednesday September 20th 2006
LIVERPOOL 2 NEWCASTLE UTD 0

LIVERPOOL: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio,Luis Garcia, Alonso, Sissoko, Gerrard (Gonzalez 85), Bellamy,Kuyt (Crouch 82).
Subs Not Used: Dudek, Hyypia, Warnock.

NEWCASTLE UTD: Harper, Carr, Ramage, Moore, Babayaro,Milner (N'Zogbia 68), Parker, Emre, Duff, Martins (Rossi 76),Ameobi (Sibierski 82).
Subs Not Used: Krul, Butt.

How SKY TV just LOVE this fixture, but have you noticed, everytime we come away from Anfield the Scousers are laughing their backs off while we always seem to be a laughing stock?

The memories of this place are so bitter. Keegan in that frightening red jacket slumping behind the advertising board as his title dreams were (just about) ended by that Stan Collymore injury time goal. Robbie Fowler doing the same thing the next season. And for the record ... Xabi Alonso scored a goal from something like 70yds to make goalkeeper Steve Harper the latest "Anfield Mug".

Harper lost his footing and was flapping about in the mud as Alonso's brilliant effort flew past him, confirming the points for Liverpool after (ex-Newcastle target) Dirk Kuyt hit his first goal for the club on 29 minutes.

Liverpool had previously lost to Everton and Chelsea and ended a scoreless run of three games. Taking pressure off Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez, who has been questioned by fans and players for playing captain Steven Gerrard out wide.

Most Toon fans wanted to see how Martins looked against Kuyt. Did we have the best of the deal, or was the Dutchman right to pick the Reds? But it was hard to judge because Martins hardly touched the ball due to poor service, and although Kuyt was fed constantly he missed chance after chance and should have done far better. In the end both were substituted.

Liverpool dominated the early possession and Craig Bellamy, who was booed throughout by the Toon Army, had the first opportunity of the match but Harper denied him from a tight angle.

Newcastle were on the back foot and rarely troubled Reina, and it was no surprise when Harper was beaten on 29 minutes when Xabi Alonso played in Steve Finnan and the full-back crossed for Kuyt to score.

Newcastle had a penalty claim turned down early in the second half when Shola Ameobi fell under pressure from Daniel Agger. But later the referee was quick to spot Garcia push Alonso's cross into the net with his hand and the player was booked.

Newcastle twice more claimed penalties for handball but Halsey let play go on when Celestine Babayaro clearly punched Kuyt in the face when Newcastle were defending a dead-ball kick.

Bellamy missed a glaring opportunity to add a second after 55 minutes when Gerrard pressured Peter Ramage and the Welshman raced in on Harper. But he lifted the ball over the keeper only to send it wide when he should have scored.

Garcia shot against the post with a spectacular effor that Harper didn't even see. But although the goalkeeper got away with that, minutes later came the moment that will haunt him for the rest of his life. Standing in for the injured Shay Given, the Easington-born 'keeper said "I can't wait to play at Anfield", and I'm sure the clip of Alonso's goal will go down in football history and be shown over, and over ... and over.

Charles N'Zobia was robbed in the Liverpool half, the ball was played square, and Alonso struck from well inside his own half to stun the Toon Army into silence. The Newcastle crowd watched in horror as Harper stumbled and the ball drifted over his head into the unguarded net.

Just as we had seen in the earlier 70 minutes, Newcastle had little to offer in response and Liverpool never looked troubled.

BENITEZ: "ALONSO SHOULD HAVE PASSED!"

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez knocked a bit of the shine off Xabi Alonso stunning goal against Newcastle by telling him he should have passed.

Alonso struck from his own half of the field to beat goalkeeper Steve Harper, who stumbled and fell.

Benitez: "We showed that we can play good football, we can create chances and score some goals. Maybe we deserved one or two more goals but at the end of the day we got one very good score and one amazing goal.

"I think he (Alonso) played well but I was thinking of telling him off because I was watching (Steven) Gerrard running forward out wide. He could have passed it but in the end it was great vision and congratulations. He practises it all the time and I am always telling him to be careful when shooting from distance.

"I am pleased with the number of chances we created and defensively it was another clean sheet as well. It is important to have clean sheets, like last season. Clean sheets are not just for defenders they are for the team.

"We created many chances and I think our supporters enjoyed the game tonight."

Alonso's goal was his first since scoring from his own half in the FA Cup against Luton in January. And on that occasion too, Gerrard berated him for not passing.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:13 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Luis Garcia: One of his best games in recent memory IMO, didn’t give the ball away too often and was very threatening in attack, brilliant turn and through ball which nearly lead to a goal for Bellamy and unlucky to hot the post and not score in the second half. He got stuck in quite a bit too 8

Last night we saw the best of him. A genial performance from the little man, where every single intricate touch seemed to come off a treat. He was a constant threat every time he got the ball, made some intelligent runs and fabulous lay offs. That piece of control and instant strike which hit the post would have been up there with the best he has scored for us.

This game was tailor made for Luis, and is exactly the right way to utilise him... at home against oposition that are unlikely to punish his occasional unpredictability, over-eccentric style and lapses in concentration.

I love Luis. The little guy is worth his weight in gold.  :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Scottbot » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:35 pm

Thoroughly enjoyed the game and thought we absolutely paggered them. Newcastle never looked like scoring but it was always a bit of a worry untill the second goal killed the game off. Surprised Bellamy is getting stick. He missed a couple of one-on-ones but was very lively all game. Bellamy and Kuyt must be the busiest pair of strikers in the league, they both ran themselves into the ground last (from an attacking and defending point of view) night. Joint me of the match were Garcia and Alonso who were both back to their imperious bests.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm

How poor was Damien Duff last night?
He was awful, thats the worst Ive ever seen him play, he just doesnt suit being at Newcastle hardly world class last night was he?

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:04 pm

Ciggy wrote:How poor was Damien Duff last night?
He was awful, thats the worst Ive ever seen him play, he just doesnt suit being at Newcastle hardly world class last night was he?

And Martins was even worse  :laugh:

It cracks me up how that joke of a club claimed they'd 'stepped aside' to allow Kuyt to move to Anfield in the summer, with Roeder suggesting he didn't rate him at £9m.

:D
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:05 pm

our strikers still need to polish their finishing though, but its a good thing that we won. I am sure we can build on it and soon we will see ourselves finishing every chance we got with the new found confidence.
onizukaeikichi

Postby onizukaeikichi » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:07 pm

garcia has been great yesterday and Alonso, he's back dude hahaaha i have been waiting to see him perform like this since a long long time, perhaps newcastle cant mark him or they gave him too much space. I hope Pennant can do what finnan did today in setting up the goal, running into an empty space then cross, he's sometimes immobile :(
onizukaeikichi

Postby Ciggy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:08 pm

stmichael wrote:And Martins was even worse  :laugh:

It cracks me up how that joke of a club claimed they'd 'stepped aside' to allow Kuyt to move to Anfield in the summer, with Roeder suggesting he didn't rate him at £9m.

LOL I know old man Martins, wheres he from?

Anne Robinson has got to be kidding asif Kuyt would have chosen them over us, the way him and Fat Freddy went to Ireland to watch him play hiring a private jet to bring him back to Newcastle, and Rick Parry was over in Holland finalising the deal  :laugh:

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:09 pm

Went the game last night after getting a ticket last minute.  Newcastle can certainly take a hiding.  All round, a good performance i've really got no complaints with.  Luis Garcia's shooting frustrates me a little bit.  Only because I know what he's capable of. 

Daniel Agger and Alonso were the star men for me.  And Kuyt is full of running.  He'll score goals for fun this fella once he finds his feet 100%.
jonnymac1979

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:13 pm

Ciggy wrote:
stmichael wrote:And Martins was even worse  :laugh:

LOL I know old man Martins, wheres he from?

Anne Robinson has got to be kidding asif Kuyt would have chosen them over us, the way him and Fat Freddy went to Ireland to watch him play hiring a private jet to bring him back to Newcastle, and Rick Parry was over in Holland finalising the deal  :laugh:

anne robinson  :D

Let me reaffirm Cig. They never wanted Kuyt really at that price. They thought it was a better choice to pay £10m for Obafemi Martins instead, and few will argue with such wisdom on the basis of last night, apart from the fact the Liverpool man scored and played well, and the Newcastle forward did f#ck all. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby shanks74 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Not having Sky Sports and yet again not having a sniff of a ticket i fell back on news reports on tv,nearly choked on my flakes when they showed Alonsos goal !!!.

Bring on Spurs !!!!!!!!!!  :)  :)  :)
shanks74

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion