Friday 5 - New season starts tomorrow!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:35 pm

In less than 24 hours, it all begins again. Here's one last chance to Q some A's with a Friday 5.

1. 4-4-2 is almost certain to be our starting formation and lets face it, it's a classic. It works well, but with our squad and options anything is possible. What formations would you like to see Rafa experiment more with this season?

2. Torres, Benayoun and Babel are big money signings (relatively speaking) so what do you expect from them this season? What would you class as a successful campeign for each of them?

3. El Zhar impressed in pre-season, but can you see him, or any of the other reserves breaking into the team this season? If not, does this undermine our policy of bringing so many young players every year?

4. Imagine that it's the last day of the transfer window and Tom Hicks calls you up and says "We want you to make a bid for one high profile player before midnight." Who do you go for? Who do you think would make the biggest difference?

5. What are your predictions for the top 5 by the end of the season? Do you place Liverpool on top, a strong second, third again, scraping fourth or missing out on the CL all together?

Bonus: Looking over the fixture list, do you see any critical games or crucial periods? Are there any games that are must win, or all they all vital this year?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:56 pm

1. 3-5-2. A chance too see Agger Carragher and Hyypia together we can play with Finnan and Riise as Wing backs and 3 Cms Gerrard Alonso and Mascherano

2. Well Torres was 21 million and he needs to deliver goals. We need a 20+ goal scorer and with the price weve  paid he should deliver. Benayoun and Babel are quite versatile. Benayoun could play on both wings but i think he will spend most of the season covering for Pennant. I think kewell should be starter for lm and we should only use Babel as a forward if need be. So im not expecting to many goals from them 2

3. Well we see a few appearances from Danny Guthrie last season so you never no. However i think they will only play in cup games or if we suffer badly with injuries

4. Difficult to say because we have strenghtened the forward line. The Wingers and the defence has looked good from the past few seasons. However if there was no limit maybe sign Lionel Messi to play along side Torres.

5. I see us challenging definetely and theres no reason why we cant win it. My prediction

Liverpool
Chelsea
Man utd
Spurs
Arsenal

Bonus. Tommorow against Villa. It has been said on numerous occasions we need to start well. Also March and the start of april we are playing a string of difficult games

1st March Bolton Away
8th March Newcastle Home
22nd March Man Utd Away
29th March Everton Home
5th April Arsenal Away

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:00 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:In less than 24 hours, it all begins again. Here's one last chance to Q some A's with a Friday 5.

1. 4-4-2 is almost certain to be our starting formation and lets face it, it's a classic. It works well, but with our squad and options anything is possible. What formations would you like to see Rafa experiment more with this season?

2. Torres, Benayoun and Babel are big money signings (relatively speaking) so what do you expect from them this season? What would you class as a successful campeign for each of them?

3. El Zhar impressed in pre-season, but can you see him, or any of the other reserves breaking into the team this season? If not, does this undermine our policy of bringing so many young players every year?

4. Imagine that it's the last day of the transfer window and Tom Hicks calls you up and says "We want you to make a bid for one high profile player before midnight." Who do you go for? Who do you think would make the biggest difference?

5. What are your predictions for the top 5 by the end of the season? Do you place Liverpool on top, a strong second, third again, scraping fourth or missing out on the CL all together?

Bonus: Looking over the fixture list, do you see any critical games or crucial periods? Are there any games that are must win, or all they all vital this year?

1. I have to say that 3-5-2 is a great formation when you want to batter teams, and with Arbeloa, JC and Agger, we could have pace and power from a back 3, freeing up the 5 in midfield to crush the opposition and feed the strikers.

That said, I think Rafa will try his favoured 4-2-3-1 again, as well as 4-3-3 and 4-4-1-1.

2. I think we have to give Torres and Babel time to settle, tbh. A season should be plenty, and provided they show their quality when selected, and get a few goals, we can't really expect too much. Benayoun has a bit more pressure on him, I feel, as he's played in the Premiership for a couple of seasons, and has no excuse for not adapting, (unless the move from London to Liverpool has been traumatizing!). If he adds some much-needed flair and invention to the side, then his will have been a good signing.

3. I think he may feature on the bench a few times, and as a sub/starter if required through injury or suspensions, etc. Insua is my tip to play a fair bit this year, with Aurelio struggling to regain fitness in time for the new season.
Many of the youngsters Rafa has brought in are still very young (Under 18), and as such will require more time to grow into the role they wish to challenge for.

4. Hmmmm.... Good question! Erm... I'd probably go for David Villa, because he and Torres would be unbelievable as a pairing.

5. I've a feeling we'll sneak 2nd, maybe by a point. (But it could go either way.) I can't see us finishing below 3rd. Tottenham may push Arsenal down to 5th.

Bonus: All home games against every team, and wins at all the bottom half clubs' grounds. Nothing less than a draw at Old Shatford, Shatford Bridge and the sell-out stadium.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:14 pm

1) I would like to see a more attacking formation, and for us to go for the throat when we go one goal up

2) In an ideal world all three would really shine for us but i can only see Benayoun continuing where he left off, the other two MUST be given time to adapt, i would be happy with double figures from Torres, but for me Voronin is the one who i think will surprise a few who doubted his signing

3) I think depending on how the quest for the big two is going they will get a run out in the cups again

4) Ronaldo ( not the buck toothed fat one )

5) Man U
    Liverpool
    Chelsea
    Spurs
    Arsenal
destro

Postby Kukilon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:17 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:In less than 24 hours, it all begins again. Here's one last chance to Q some A's with a Friday 5.

1. 3-5-2 would be my ideal starting formation against all teams that will park the bus in their own half. Against the better teams I'd play 4-5-1.

2. Because of the price tag and the hype I expect the most out of Torres. I allready know that Benayon will work out great. I'll give Babel a season to adjust. I have my biggest doubts about Torres though he has showed signs of class.

3. They will only get a few shots in the cups.

4. Ribbery, Malouda, Alves or Etoo.

5. Strong second but I'll be pleased with a CL-spot.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby The Grudge » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:06 pm

1)I really dont care what formation Raffa starts out with..To me there is too much emphasis on the starting formation.The way things are now with us having so many versatile players we can field 11 players that are capable of switching formation if needed.

The biggest thing is intent,that is more important than formation.We need to be going out to attack and win games from the start,With the new signings we are capable of doing that.
Too many times last season we fell as victims of our own caution and respect for teams that really we should have been putting out of the game in the first 45.Raffa needs to be more ruthless and have more attack from the midfield areas.Too many times he played a striker as a link from C/M to a lone front man (Kuyt quite a lot).Too many times it proved unaffective!

2)I expect Torres to score goals,that is his job.The problem is that with he being by far our most expensive signing we are all expecting too much.Its gonna take time for him to adapt.
Lets just hope we can all be fair and let the man find his feet and climatise to the EPL...it will take time.The first season is the hardest.He will do well but not right away...15 goals would be a good 1st seasons work.
Benayoun has a fight on his hands to get into the 1st 11 but his versatility will get him more games than some may expect.I like this player...always did.Comfortable on the ball and confident going forward.Split many defences last season with one pass and is EPL tested.Good work Raffa!
Babel...smells like Gonzalez to me.Came with great expectations and failed!I hope i am wrong but i am not one for hype.Looks a good athlete and has an eye for goal.BUT the league in Holland is like another world from the EPL...Is he tough enough mentally and physically??I hope so..good luck to the lad.The good thing is that if any player fails Raffa has no problem shipping them out the next chance he has and does not dwell on his bad signings......Its up to those 3,prove your worthy of the most famous shirt in football ..or move on!

3)Cant see it...would be great to see another Carra come through but i doubt it!Our squad is massive as it is.These young lads need to be exceptionally good to get into the 1st team...more so now than ever!The academy must at times feel frustrated but we should all be grateful for all the hard work they do...If no one comes through this year thats ok but sooner or later we will get another Gerrard or Carra to the 1st team...then we will have a player that money cannot buy who belongs to the shirt.

4)Thats a tough one!....Id ask him for Kaka

5)Man Utd..Liverpool...Chelsea..Spurs..Arsenal

Sorry but thats what i think will happen!Hope its not though.One step at a time Raffa! :D

YNWA!
The Grudge

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:23 am

1. I like 4-4-2 as you said Ace its a classic formation, so I'd like to see us use this formation through out the majority of the season. But if there were another formation I'd like us to see try out, it would be the 4-5-1 come 4-3-3. We did use the 4-5-1 formation a few times last season particulaly against the likes of Chelsea if memory serves correct. But I'd use a similar formation at the other end of the scale, a more attacking one against the likes of Derby and teams like Sunderland where we went out and played an attacking 4-3-3.

So instead of having  wide men deeper alongside the midfield trio ala Riise, I'd like Rafa to play them up alongside the striker deployed, in a much more advanced role, inevitably having three forwards.

like this:

Reina

Finnan     Carra   Agger    Riise

Gerrard     Mascha   Alonso

Babel       Torres    Kewell

The onus for Babel and Kewell would be on them to primarily attack the opposition more so than to track back. Although they would have to get back from time to time I wouldnt want them playing a Kuyt-esk role, where there so deep they offer no attacking threat what so ever. This way may see us a little vunrable at the back, and more likely to conceed goals, but when teams like Derby and Sunderland play us there sole intention will probably be not to conceed themselves and pack ten men behind the ball. So instead of having the extra man in midfield it would seem better from time to time to have the extra man upfront.

2. Expect maybe an unreasonable word to use, but I'd hope they can provide what we've been lacking. Creativity, pace and goals. Whether these three have that in them only time will tell. I'd like to see Torres possibly notch up around 17 goals if not more, if he's used the most like Kuyt last season. If he plays as an out and out striker and has the capacity to cause defences problems throughout the campaign I'd be happy with him. Babel I'd hope can give us the pace along with goal threat possibly, although I wouldnt expoect as many goals from him as Torres I would like him to provide and assist better than what ..... say Pennant does and have more of an end product. As for Benayoun he maybe the cheapest out of the three but I'm expecting/hoping more from him, I'd like to see him become the catalist of most of our attacking moves, I hope he can link up the midfield to attack and spark the creativity on a consistant basis we've been missing, I have great hopes for him and I think he could turn out to be our best signing and hopefully the signing of the season.
Although he's not a 'big money signing'  I now feel Voronin will have a big season himself, he seems ideal for the Premiership.

3. To tell you the truth I dont watch many reserve games so couldnt honestly say. Going from last season I dont think many broke through so I wouldnt expect it to happen in abundance especially this season, and therefore could possibly undermine our policy of bringing in young talent, but only Rafa knows.

4. Intitially I would of said Carlos Tevez, but seen as he is United bound I think that could rule out my big money buy. And seen as we've brought in a few attacking minded players now I'd probably make a cheaky bid for Micah Richards to give Finnan competition and Rafa choice. I like the fact he seems very willing and able to barn storm forwards bringing the ball out from defence, sadly something else we've missed from our fullbacks especially at right back.

5. My heart always tells me top spot, but my head tells me a close third to second. Its getting harder and harder each year to become top dog. But sooner or later you'd think we'd get there.

Bonus: Cant remember the fixture list, and as far as I'm concerned it shouldnt matter IMO there all must win games.  :)

Good post Ace.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:58 am

The Ace1983 wrote:1. 4-4-2 is almost certain to be our starting formation and lets face it, it's a classic. It works well, but with our squad and options anything is possible. What formations would you like to see Rafa experiment more with this season?

1) i want to see him experiment 4-1-2-1-2
2) i expect yossi to create alot of chances and the strikers to be able to hit the 60 goal target rafa set them.
3) once lee peltier was said to be taking the step into the first team but now he is on loan. sigh. same old story. i think the league cup will be the platform for the youngsters to play.
4) i will take ronaldo from acmilan. i reckon he still has it in him and will give the opposition defenders a hellraising time.
5) chelsea/liverpool/manure/arsenal. basically anyone of them should win the tile so long as its not manure =). but ive a feeling manure will struggle this season.
6) all are vital. win all. show no mercy for we'll be shown none. destroy.  :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:42 am

May as well answer my own questions, so here goes...

1. 3-4-3. With this, we can dominate the middle of the park and put pressure on the oppo's defence. And if we're behind, we can switch to 3-3-4 for the last gasp goal hunt. I'd love to see us take to the field looking like:

.                       Reina
.       Carragher   Hyypia    Agger
.           Mascherano Gerrard
. Benayoun                     Kewell
.     Babel    Torres     Voronin

Well, it needs a bit of tweaking but you know what I mean.

2. If Torres bags a few and strikes up a partnership with another striker, I'll be a happy bunny. What was the last great partnership we had? Owen and Fowler? Owen and Heskey (perhaps not quite worthy of "great") but it's been long time. As for Yossi, i want him to impress and Babel needs to show why he has been rated as the new Henry. I don't mean that he has to single -handedly win the league for us, I just mean that if we get the odd glimmer of magic, a goal or 5 and some flair extraordinaire will mean that his is an investment worth having made.

3. El Zhar, Insua and maybe Threlfall will appear once or twice on subs benches during the best part of the season. If we're Champions with a few games to go, we'll probably see a lot more of them.   :D
Hammil and Guthrie are on loans and we should keep an eye out on them too.

4. Ronaldo (the buck toothed fat one!) :D
No, seriously I'd probably have someone like Cannavaro or Puyol. Something for the defence more than attack.

5. 1. Liverpool
    2. don't care
    3. really don't care
    4. couldn't giva a monkey's
    5. WHO ARE YA!?

Bonus: The games against Everton. They've had too many points off of us of late and I'm sick of it. Everton should be a guarenteed 6 points this season. No excuses.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion