LIVERPOOL VS NEWCASTLE - The season starts here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:00 pm

I was "watching" on radio. Can't wait to see Alonso's goal. If anyone could throw it up online somewhere, I'm sure loads of people would be delighted. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 pm

just what the doctor ordered, clean sheet, goal for kuyt and alonso showing signs of his old self, not firing on all cylinders yet but the teams playing better with each game.

job well done.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 pm

on a negative point, i thought Bellamy was very poor tonight, and to be honest he hasnt impressed me at all really since he joined. He does a lot of work on the pitch, with lots of running and closing down, but he really dosnt have much end product of me.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby soccerfreek421 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Speaking of Alonso's goal, how far out was he???

"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more
important than that." Bill Shankly
soccerfreek421
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:02 pm

come on the reds...guess who is in the top ten now  :;):

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 pm

soccerfreek421 wrote:Speaking of Alonso's goal, how far out was he???

He was behind his own centre circle, so 75 yards?
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby oOShrimpyOo » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 pm

showed glimpses of what we can do, but in my opinion everyone except alonso should have a solid month of shooting practise. Some of the chances we have and dont finish are painfull to watch, even my local sunday pub team could finish those chances. At least its a win, and im glad we did because otherwise we would be sitting here speaking about the chances that we missed to finish the game. Well done lads. BTW i think the team looked alot more balanced tonight.
oOShrimpyOo

Postby kirankara » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm

great result could have been three times as many goals, but that will come, someones waiting for a tonking from us we played well, few nerves will be settled by this result and players will look more comfortable on ball u could see it once we got goal apart from few moments we were fairly comfortable and creating good chances, thought luis played fantastic, kuyt well, bellamy usual hard working self, unlucky to miss, alonso back to his usual self, not saying that just because of goal, agger was solid. You'll never walk alone, and viva the rafalution
kirankara

Postby anti-hero » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:05 pm

Xabi

AAAAAAHHHHLLLLAAAAHHHNNNZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! !

:D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:06 pm

soccerfreek421 wrote:Speaking of Alonso's goal, how far out was he???

Annie Rd side of the centre circle.

Great match. I think the new signings are starting to link up now. Kuyt looks like a real stiker.

Bellamy didn't have much end product but he was involved in a lot of the play. I'll still think he'll score goals.

Enjoyed tonight. We just need a 10 match winning run now to get back up the table!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 pm

we should have won by 3 or 4 clear goals tonight but again we are guilty of missing too many sitters, non more so than Bellamy.

But a 1st goal from Kuyt, Alonso finally found his range, a clean sheet, Garcia hitting the post and that wonderful penetrating pass for the first goal and "THAT" second from Xabi means we can finally shake off our slow start. Still many things to be critical about tonight's game...not our best performance but nontheless a welcome 3 points
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Heh heh - have you seen the BBC live text commentary...

"Goal by Xabi Alonso (Liverpool) drilled right-footed (bottom-right of goal) from own half (35+ yards).Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle."

Am I right in thinking that's a bit of an understatement?  :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 pm

Dontcha wish we could play Newcastle every week? :D

In general, a good game.  We dominated the match for long spells and thoroughly deserved the 3 points.  Of course, we made things harder the necessary by not putting away our chances.  We could have won at a canter--4 or 5 nil--if Kuyt, Bellamy and Garcia had buried their gilt-edged chances in the 2nd half.  In the end, it took a wonder strike from Xabi to make the points safe.

Alonso far and away the man of the match and I'm chuffed for him.  The criticism he's come in for in the past month has been harsh and I'm so pleased he's reminded everyone just how vital he is to the side.

Kuyt played well again and finally has the goal his industry has deserved for several matches now.  Hopefully he'll kick on from here and really start pounding them in.

Bellamy was lively again but continues his scoring drought.  Once he finds the net, though, look out!

I thought Stevie had a really strong game--he is such an awesome force with the ball at his feet, running at defenders.  I hope he gets himself a goal soon as well.  One thing to note--and this picks up on a point Ace Ventura made in another thread--how much time did Stevie actually spend on the right flank this match?  Not much, I'll tell you.  He may have been recorded as our RM tonight, but he spent as much or more time in the middle and on the left.  People get too fixated on the teamsheet with Gerrard.  Where he lines up for kick-off is rarely where he spends the match playing.

At the back, I thought Agger looked a little shaky at times (relative to his recent form) and was lucky not to give away a penalty on Ameobi.  Newcastle will feel hard done by on that one but given the lack of calls in our favour this season, it's about time that we got away with one (the Carragher hand-ball shouts were rubbish, IMO).

All in all, a vital victory, a morale booster and, hopefully, the start of a good run of form.  Well in, lads! :buttrock
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:08 pm

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kirankara » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:09 pm

fowler e7 m7 think u being harsh on bellamy, most his "chances" he creates outta nothing really, he works very hard chasing lost causes and hustling players on ball, and just his being there creates oppurtunities as hes able to draw defenders outta position, think once a  goal goes in his nerves will setlle, ive personally been very impressed with him, a few inches her and there and he might have 2-3 allready this season, but like i said most the "chances" hes had are half chances really that hes created for himself in positions others wouldnt have been in in first place
kirankara

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion