Liverpool vs middlesborough team news

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:27 pm

I just see a lot of times the ball going straight to the opposition and a lot of wastage.

I think you're looking at somebody else. If Alonso passes the ball to one of our players and that player loses it that isn't wastage on his part. Apart from that there's not much that Alonso has given away at his time here.

You want to talk about something special then go on and look at our game against Fulham on the road last season. Alonso was the key to winning that game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:27 pm

Homebooby wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:
Homebooby wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:its good to see some sensible posters posting instead of the doom and gloom brigade.
sissoko had a good game and covered every blade of grass but his distribution and retention of possession needs some work though. i thought hypia had a great game at the back as well. gerrard missed a few chances but again he was our main man.
its dissappointing to miss out on the 3 points but if we dominate every away game like that we wont be far away from the title come next may.

I don't consider myself part of the doom and gloom parade. I have been a fan since I was about 3 years old and have seen them through thick and thin. I just don't think that they are going to hack it in the long run.

I personally thought that Alonso was shocking today and gave the ball away way too cheaply. Come to mention it, I thought that Carragher had an off day distribution wise, but noone would mention that on here.

I appreciate Cisse only had 20 mins or so, but his first touch is abysmal at the moment.

well mate i`ve watched them basically all my life since the mid 70`s myself and in my opinion that was a good away performance. we had plenty of possession and chances but the luck didnt go our way thats all. you think certain players didnt play well today? do you think when daglish got the ball he beat 10 men every time and scored in the top corner? even maradona wasnt brilliant every game you`ve got to be realistic and all in all we were the better side away from home.

So we're even in terms of years put in then as a fan. I appreciate that they can't all perform on the same day, but a good away performance? What is the real difference between a home and an away game? It a piece of grass, 2 goals, 22 players and a ball...end of story. I've never bought that rhetoric, so time for you to flame me again.

I saw a midfield that didn't really know how to penetrate through the backline and forwards who didn't look like scoring all night. This is not the first season things have looked this way...it's been this way for years.

you`ve watched footy for over thirty years and dont rate alonso? and you think playing at home or away doesnt make a difference? as you well know, years ago in the 70`s it was our fantastic home form that kept the title coming back to anfield back in the days when everyone lost a few games home and away. quite often our away form wasnt great back in those days but we were so effective at anfield it didnt matter.
our success was built on it.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:29 pm

Homebooby, Start talking sense or fu*k off back to your home planet, You are writing utter sh!t mate, i know its a forum and your entitled to your opinion but your talking out of your rear end. 2nd half was a huge improvement and although i was fuming at the end that we didnt get what we deserved (a 4 nil win) there were plenty of positives and it beat most, if not all are performances away from home in the prem last season. Boro looked terrifyed of us they wouldnt attack cos they knew how lethel we were, unfortunatly today things didnt go Stevies way but he did put in a fantastic performance and he looks so much fitter and stronger than last season, Cisse caused havoc but sh!t out for a header at the back post, an excellent 1st game for Momo, he played even better once he got booked, he won the ball, tackled, passed well, linked up well and looked a class act in the 2nd half, Boeteng is a fantastic midfielder and does an excellent job for Boro and Momo matched him today and thats the best praise you can give the lad. Biggest disappointment of the game was wasting the 1st half when it was clear Boro had no intention of attacking after 5 minutes of the game, but Rafa will see that even teams who are gonna be challaging for the top 6 are scared of us and happy to take a point at home aginst us before a ball is even kicked. Only 1 team ever looked like winnin ant that was us, and that was something we couldnt   say a lot on are travels last season, if continue to play away from home the way we did 2nd half then the away day blues will well and truly be over.

Spot on, especially the last part of that paragraph. Boro fielded a full strength side and didn't create a clear goal chance.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:30 pm

Garymac wrote:Homebooby, Start talking sense or fu*k off back to your home planet, You are writing utter sh!t mate, i know its a forum and your entitled to your opinion but your talking out of your rear end. 2nd half was a huge improvement and although i was fuming at the end that we didnt get what we deserved (a 4 nil win) there were plenty of positives and it beat most, if not all are performances away from home in the prem last season. Boro looked terrifyed of us they wouldnt attack cos they knew how lethel we were, unfortunatly today things didnt go Stevies way but he did put in a fantastic performance and he looks so much fitter and stronger than last season, Cisse caused havoc but sh!t out for a header at the back post, an excellent 1st game for Momo, he played even better once he got booked, he won the ball, tackled, passed well, linked up well and looked a class act in the 2nd half, Boeteng is a fantastic midfielder and does an excellent job for Boro and Momo matched him today and thats the best praise you can give the lad. Biggest disappointment of the game was wasting the 1st half when it was clear Boro had no intention of attacking after 5 minutes of the game, but Rafa will see that even teams who are gonna be challaging for the top 6 are scared of us and happy to take a point at home aginst us before a ball is even kicked. Only 1 team ever looked like winnin ant that was us, and that was something we couldnt   say a lot on are travels last season, if continue to play away from home the way we did 2nd half then the away day blues will well and truly be over.

well that's lovely talk coming from a vegetarian.
Thanks a lot for that.

When we have a forward line that looks like they are going to do the job they are there to do and Stevie can sit and do what he is meant to do, I'll begin to agree with you. This was not a class performance and they certainly weren't afraid of us. They came out to take a point and they got it. Simple as that. We should have torn these guys apart. I really do think that you are giving them all a lot more respect than they deserve.
Homebooby

Postby LFC_fan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:30 pm

Homebooby, i sincerely hope u dun really know what ur talking. U shd be supporting the bitters, then all your posts would have been valid.
LFC_fan

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:33 pm

Homebooby wrote:
Homebooby wrote:
yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:its good to see some sensible posters posting instead of the doom and gloom brigade.
sissoko had a good game and covered every blade of grass but his distribution and retention of possession needs some work though. i thought hypia had a great game at the back as well. gerrard missed a few chances but again he was our main man.
its dissappointing to miss out on the 3 points but if we dominate every away game like that we wont be far away from the title come next may.

I don't consider myself part of the doom and gloom parade. I have been a fan since I was about 3 years old and have seen them through thick and thin. I just don't think that they are going to hack it in the long run.

I personally thought that Alonso was shocking today and gave the ball away way too cheaply. Come to mention it, I thought that Carragher had an off day distribution wise, but noone would mention that on here.

I appreciate Cisse only had 20 mins or so, but his first touch is abysmal at the moment.

well mate i`ve watched them basically all my life since the mid 70`s myself and in my opinion that was a good away performance. we had plenty of possession and chances but the luck didnt go our way thats all. you think certain players didnt play well today? do you think when daglish got the ball he beat 10 men every time and scored in the top corner? even maradona wasnt brilliant every game you`ve got to be realistic and all in all we were the better side away from home.

So we're even in terms of years put in then as a fan. I appreciate that they can't all perform on the same day, but a good away performance? What is the real difference between a home and an away game? It a piece of grass, 2 goals, 22 players and a ball...end of story. I've never bought that rhetoric, so time for you to flame me again.

I saw a midfield that didn't really know how to penetrate through the backline and forwards who didn't look like scoring all night. This is not the first season things have looked this way...it's been this way for years.

you`ve watched footy for over thirty years and dont rate alonso? and you think playing at home or away doesnt make a difference? as you well know, years ago in the 70`s it was our fantastic home form that kept the title coming back to anfield back in the days when everyone lost a few games home and away. quite often our away form wasnt great back in those days but we were so effective at anfield it didnt matter.
our success was built on it.

I just think that it is psychological mumbo jumbo this home and away lark. It goes against everything everyone ever says I know and you'll think me a total whacko for saying it, but I just think that that is half the problem. Go out there and get on with it.
Homebooby

Postby LFC_fan » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:34 pm

Homebooby wrote:
Garymac wrote:Homebooby, Start talking sense or fu*k off back to your home planet, You are writing utter sh!t mate, i know its a forum and your entitled to your opinion but your talking out of your rear end. 2nd half was a huge improvement and although i was fuming at the end that we didnt get what we deserved (a 4 nil win) there were plenty of positives and it beat most, if not all are performances away from home in the prem last season. Boro looked terrifyed of us they wouldnt attack cos they knew how lethel we were, unfortunatly today things didnt go Stevies way but he did put in a fantastic performance and he looks so much fitter and stronger than last season, Cisse caused havoc but sh!t out for a header at the back post, an excellent 1st game for Momo, he played even better once he got booked, he won the ball, tackled, passed well, linked up well and looked a class act in the 2nd half, Boeteng is a fantastic midfielder and does an excellent job for Boro and Momo matched him today and thats the best praise you can give the lad. Biggest disappointment of the game was wasting the 1st half when it was clear Boro had no intention of attacking after 5 minutes of the game, but Rafa will see that even teams who are gonna be challaging for the top 6 are scared of us and happy to take a point at home aginst us before a ball is even kicked. Only 1 team ever looked like winnin ant that was us, and that was something we couldnt   say a lot on are travels last season, if continue to play away from home the way we did 2nd half then the away day blues will well and truly be over.

Thanks a lot for that.

When we have a forward line that looks like they are going to do the job they are there to do and Stevie can sit and do what he is meant to do, I'll begin to agree with you. This was not a class performance and they certainly weren't afraid of us. They came out to take a point and they got it. Simple as that. We should have torn these guys apart. I really do think that you are giving them all a lot more respect than they deserve.

Granted, it wasnt a vintage liverpool performance, but you cant put players down just by judging them from a single game. Same reason why Biscan isnt regarded in the same class as zidane even though he had 2 or 3 fantastic performances for us last season.
LFC_fan

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:40 pm

LFC_fan wrote:Homebooby, i sincerely hope u dun really know what ur talking. U shd be supporting the bitters, then all your posts would have been valid.

I'll just say again. Take Stevie out of that game and tell me how we would have scored? With that level of quality in the team, we should be tearing them apart. Really, we should.....if what we aspire to is to win the Premiership, defend the CL....we should be eating these sort of teams for breakfast. We should have 20-30 points on them by the end of the season. Perhaps we will, but that doesn't detract from how frustrating I found the game and how we effectively dropped 2 points there.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:43 pm

LFC_fan wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

Thanks a lot for that.

Granted, it wasnt a vintage liverpool performance, but you cant put players down just by judging them from a single game. Same reason why Biscan isnt regarded in the same class as zidane even though he had 2 or 3 fantastic performances for us last season.

I know and it isn't just based on this game. I've followed all the pre-season games and my opinion remains the same. We need to be more direct and create way more chance than we do at the moment. We fanny about too much with the ball. Surely I am not the only one who sees us run three quarters of the way up the pitch only to swing it backwards, or across the field, or any way other than the goal? We've done this for seasons and all I am saying is that there is little sign of things changing at the moment.
Homebooby

Postby Garymac » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:44 pm

Homebooby wrote:

Thanks a lot for that.

Homebooby tell me something......

Did Boro play us off the park last season?
Did we have enough chances to win 3 or 4 nil?
Was this an improvement on last seasons Away form?
Why is Alonso not good enough for the prem?  (stupid question but you know what the saying is, if you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer and i cant wait to see yours)
You make a point that Stevie shouldnt be gettin in the opponents box because we should have strikers in there and that he should be sitting back, you also make a point that we should tear Boro apart, so basically you are saying Stevie should be sitting back and tearing them apart, Tell me how is that possible?

If you give me 1 sensible answer to any of the questions above, i will apologise for telling you to fu*k off.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:44 pm

but we DID tear them apart, if it wasnt for fouls and the like we woulda been well ahead. i think it was a solid first game
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stoney » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:52 pm

there is only one sensible answer i can see homebooby giving to your questions and thats no answer at all :laugh:
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pablo_Escobar » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:53 pm

Good thing , bitters lost in CL , EPL, We we'll be in group stage and we've drawn our first game :laugh:
Pablo_Escobar
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:53 pm

Garymac wrote:
Homebooby wrote:

Thanks a lot for that.

Homebooby tell me something......

Did Boro play us off the park last season?
Did we have enough chances to win 3 or 4 nil?
Was this an improvement on last seasons Away form?
Why is Alonso not good enough for the prem?  (stupid question but you know what the saying is, if you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer and i cant wait to see yours)
You make a point that Stevie shouldnt be gettin in the opponents box because we should have strikers in there and that he should be sitting back, you also make a point that we should tear Boro apart, so basically you are saying Stevie should be sitting back and tearing them apart, Tell me how is that possible?

If you give me 1 sensible answer to any of the questions above, i will apologise for telling you to fu*k off.

Did Boro play us off the park last season? - Honestly, I couldn't tell you, but does that make my opinion on todays game any less valid?

Did we have enough chances to win 3 or 4 nil? - Yes we did. All coming from Stevie....I haven't said anything to the contrary here.

Was this an improvement on last seasons Away form? - Arguably, but this is a different squad than last year. Comparisons are patchy at best.

Why is Alonso not good enough for the prem?  (stupid question but you know what the saying is, if you ask a stupid question you get a stupid answer and i cant wait to see yours) - Well I have nothing else to add other than what I have already posted. He seems to get knocked off the ball a lot, gives it away quite cheaply and thus made little impact this evening.

You make a point that Stevie shouldnt be gettin in the opponents box because we should have strikers in there and that he should be sitting back, you also make a point that we should tear Boro apart, so basically you are saying Stevie should be sitting back and tearing them apart, Tell me how is that possible? - Well with respect that is the strangest assumption I have seen in a while. I think that you are unfairly mixing 2 or 3 comments up for a cheap shot. I'll reiterate:

1. Without Stevie, there was almost no opportunity to tie the game up. With the quality we have in the squad, we should not be as reliant on him as we are. Tonight we weren't just reliant, we were dependant.

2. We should have torn this team apart with the quality that was wearing a pool shirt.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:59 pm

stoney wrote:there is only one sensible answer i can see homebooby giving to your questions and thats no answer at all :laugh:

well, I have tried to explain myself as much as I can. I can't help it if I am considered as uneducated in football as you all are thinking I am. I am sure that we will will increase the points that we earn this season as I think that our new keeper is going to see that we lose less goals. I am largely impressed by his decision making and positivity. I think that this wll spread throughout the defence. That said, what he was thinking on that corner tonight is anyones guess.

I just am saying that I don't see that magical change in the way that we are playing or creating chances at the moment. I hope that things will gel in the future, but I really don't see it happening at the moment.

I won't fill  up the pages any more with the same opinion as it is already getting old. I'll still be around on the board though.
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion