Middlesborough game - Absolute sh*te

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mistyred » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:31 pm

Stu is a secret Chelski Supporter. Does anybody remember the Schwepps ad I'm a secret lemonade drinker? where the guy creeps down the stairs at night?,that's Stu watching the Highlights of Chelski's game. ???
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Stu is a secret Chelski Supporter. Does anybody remember the Schwepps ad I'm a secret lemonade drinker? where the guy creeps down the stairs at night?,that's Stu watching the Highlights of Chelski's game.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Paul C » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:06 pm

Just watched the highlights on the LFC site, very dissapointed, I thought Zendens goal was off and Garcia's goal came off a defender, the main dissapoint was that Kewell and Garcia had some great chances but yet again messed them, Kewell's misses were terable :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ade » Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:39 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I have to say that I was never Hyppia's biggest fan, even in his heyday (personally I thought Henchoz was the better defender in 2000/2001). Thats not to say I'm slating him, but the way we played in 2001 and 2002 suited Sammi and it offered him a level of protection.

Nowadays I only rate him as a decent defender when we defend deeply, his problems when we play further up the field have been obvious since last season.

My point exactly. Also, to repeat, Babbel was superb that treble season.

Hyypia was too, but he's not able to shore things up now with inadequate support from 2 wobbly fullbacks.

When Josemi was signed, wasn't he sposed to be able to play RB and right centre back? If so, might be worth trying him out at right CB alongside Carra, with finnan at RB, in a Carling Cup game, or some other lesser match. Josemi's a good competitir with a good attitude, but his lack of pace and his tendency to drift in from the right back flank towards centre back is costing us.

As for Dawson, he's been touted as the pacy young centre back we need. My brother's a Forest season ticket holder and has been for 15 years. He rates Dawson highly, but says pace isn't one of his great strengths. If that's apparent at Div 1 level, he don't sound the answer at this level, at least not where speed is concerned.

What was Rafa's thinking on Cortez? Is he a CB?
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ShaneK » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:40 pm

I still dnt understand why we play kewell, he and rafa admited he wasnt fit... but yet he continues.
Fout mellor would of played this instead, but rafa must not rate him.
I'd be interested to know who rafa would want to come in a CB.. especailly with the budget liverpool are on.
Dnt think any one can argue that rafa has a hard job clearing up houillers mess... i dnt understand how houller managed to do so well with his team ???
ShaneK

Postby JBG » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:11 pm

Going back to Hyppia, yes, I rate him as a player, but he isn't my cup of tea. Its a matter of taste. I prefer more mobile centre halves like Jamie Carragher or even Henchoz of three years ago.

Sammi has his critics among non Liverpool fans, even back in 2000, 2001 and 2002 when he was arguably one of the best in Europe. I think Sammi can appear akward and clumsy because of his physique, but those appearances shouldn't mislead people into thinking he's not a good player. He was an excellent centre half in 2001 and 2002, but has declined by his high standards, and is probably a reasonably good player now.

Even in his heyday I always preferred Henchoz to Sammi, for me its a matter of taste. I simply prefer my centre halves a bit quicker and a bit more mobile.

On a more positive note, Jamie Carragher is emerging as a decent centre half.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Jaffaohyeah » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:25 pm

Our squad now seems rice paper thin. I was actually expecting worse of the game beforehand, a goal disallowed when we have no strikers on the pitch is very harsh. And it was onside ! To me their second had a measure of offside to it, as well. Harry Kewell 65 grand a week ? I could actually be as bad as him for that kind of dosh, no probs !
Jaffaohyeah

Postby spud » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:33 pm

Sami is past his best.  His distribution when in possession is awful.  He is slow to turn and cannot track a man.  He would look better in the Chelsea, Arsenal and Manure team because he would have less to do.

Yesterday, he left large gaps and has done this on more than 5 occassions.

The proof of the pudding is Jan, RB will sign an alternative if the club can afford to give him some transfer funds.

Without the underated Hamman, for the past few years, he would have suffered more.  He is very reliant on Didi's work in front of him.

Emotion and loyalty clouds facts here.
spud

Postby akumaface » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:46 pm

Kewell looked like a fat boy and seems labouring all the time. He just couldn;t catch his breath. Also, I think its a shame that Mellor or Sinama wasn't starting in place of Kewell. If Rafa thinks our strikers are no better than the two midfielders. If you want to put two midfielders as forward, Heck why not start Biscan. You never know and might get good result. I'm just so so so disappointed about the game last night.....I always said I don't mind them losing but just the way they lose....:angry:
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:49 pm

I think the problem is that these mid week International games disrupt team training.
When you have a settled side, missing a weeks team training is no issue.
But with Liverpool, we are in a position where we have players who are new to the team, like Alonso, Garcia and Josemi trying to gel with existing players like Carragher and Hypia; reserve team players making their way forward like Kirkland, Traore and Pongolle; established players like Kewell who are not fit and finally injuries taking out players such as Gerrard, Baros and Cisse. Combine all that with a new manager and coaching staff, there is no continuity to fall back on, when we have to change the formation with no time to practise as a team, we play like a bunch of strangers without confidence.
In addition to injuring players and wearing them out with travel, therse International weeks are knackering up out team preparation and confidence bonding.
We were also lucky to get Alonso back in one piece, after some of the tackles in the Spain game from Cole, Neville and Lampard, not to mention 'Brain Dead Shrek' ???
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:01 pm

Ade wrote:When Josemi was signed, wasn't he sposed to be able to play RB and right centre back? If so, might be worth trying him out at right CB alongside Carra, with finnan at RB, in a Carling Cup game, or some other lesser match. Josemi's a good competitir with a good attitude, but his lack of pace and his tendency to drift in from the right back flank towards centre back is costing us.

No, i don't ever wanna see josemi as a centreback. I already roll over and laff whenever i see the manure midgets neville & sylvester play centrebacks.

If josemi plays as a centreback, it will be a cruel retribution. Centrebacks have to be tall. Not midgets.  :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:18 pm

No, i don't ever wanna see josemi as a centreback. I already roll over and laff whenever i see the manure midgets neville & sylvester play centrebacks.

If josemi plays as a centreback, it will be a cruel retribution. Centrebacks have to be tall. Not midgets. 

Great post.

Totally maaaaaan.

I agree that Cannavaro's ****** isn't he because 5'9 inch centre halfs aren't any good.

???

Probably one of the best two centre halfs along with Nesta in world football over the last 5 or 6 years.
115-1073096938

Postby Redrider » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:19 pm

I think the problem is that these mid week International games disrupt team training.
When you have a settled side, missing a weeks team training is no issue.
But with Liverpool, we are in a position where we have players who are new to the team, like Alonso, Garcia and Josemi trying to gel with existing players like Carragher and Hypia; reserve team players making their way forward like Kirkland, Traore and Pongolle; established players like Kewell who are not fit and finally injuries taking out players such as Gerrard, Baros and Cisse. Combine all that with a new manager and coaching staff, there is no continuity to fall back on, when we have to change the formation with no time to practise as a team, we play like a bunch of strangers without confidence.
In addition to injuring players and wearing them out with travel, therse International weeks are knackering up out team preparation and confidence bonding.
We were also lucky to get Alonso back in one piece, after some of the tackles in the Spain game from Cole, Neville and Lampard, not to mention 'Brain Dead Shrek'
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:22 pm

Redrider, just because you post something twice doesn't mean it has extra validity. :D
115-1073096938

Postby Redrider » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:29 pm

Just correcting a spelling error and somehow managed to post it again.  Apologies, :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion