LIVERPOOL VS MANCHESTER UNITED - Its time....its time to finally beat the

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kharhaz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:05 am

peewee wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Reading the Daily post today and in an interveiw it said that Xabi is back in the squad for the game anyone know if this is true,
Nice to see him back if it is might get a little 10 mins just to get the legs goin

is this the same alonso that certain posters said our blip was due to his injury, then totally missed the fact our good run and great results were achieved when he wasnt playing also.

also its the pro rotationers that said we couldnt do without him while at the same time saying its ok to rotate him, work that one out.

anyway the mancs, i wonder if he will gamble with his team selection, surely he wont for this game

It does make you wonder doesnt it. I remember mocking a post when someone said "ARE WE MISSING ALONSO!" and I replied with a comment that said along the lines of "NO !". Then I got picked off because hell, what do I know??

I dont think he will gamble. As easy as the support is drawn it can just as easily be repelled.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oakton » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 am

i don't think we should bring in alonso into this game, this is a crucial game and it's gonna be very competitive, I don't think Alonso will be able to adjust the tempo yet after missing for so long, plus that mash and lucas are doing quite well, so it's best not to play xabi for this match.
oakton

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:50 am

Kharhaz wrote:
peewee wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Reading the Daily post today and in an interveiw it said that Xabi is back in the squad for the game anyone know if this is true,
Nice to see him back if it is might get a little 10 mins just to get the legs goin

is this the same alonso that certain posters said our blip was due to his injury, then totally missed the fact our good run and great results were achieved when he wasnt playing also.

also its the pro rotationers that said we couldnt do without him while at the same time saying its ok to rotate him, work that one out.

anyway the mancs, i wonder if he will gamble with his team selection, surely he wont for this game

It does make you wonder doesnt it. I remember mocking a post when someone said "ARE WE MISSING ALONSO!" and I replied with a comment that said along the lines of "NO !". Then I got picked off because hell, what do I know??

I dont think he will gamble. As easy as the support is drawn it can just as easily be repelled.

Yeah you cant do that around these boards, as the Armada will come floating in and get on his hobby horse.

Touche Peewee, we've done very well indeed without Alonso.

We havent missed him, like some would have you believe.
66-1112520797

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:17 am

peewee wrote:

:D Couldn't have put it better myself.....

Walk on....  :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:19 am

Bamaga man wrote:Yeah you cant do that around these boards, as the Armada will come floating in and get on his hobby horse.

:p  :D  :nod
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:36 am

I'd still prefer Alonso to Masch, despite our good run of form in his absence.  That said, he's too rusty to be a part of the match Sunday so he'll have to wait.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:37 am

I'd still prefer Alonso to Masch

So what.
66-1112520797

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:39 am

Bamaga man wrote:
I'd still prefer Alonso to Masch

So what.

Figured I'd get a nibble. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:43 am

66-1112520797

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:51 am

To elaborate, I think Mascherano is a fantastic player but doesn't do enough with the ball going forward.  In terms of distribution, Alonso is a better option.  Defensively, I don't think Alonso matches the Argentine in terms of pace or tenacity in harrying ball carriers but his defensive positioning and tackling are superior (Masch opts for the risky slide tackle too often, IMO) so it's fairly close in that department.  Overall then, Alonso shades it for me and I'll be happy to have him back.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:52 am

Bad Bob wrote:I'd still prefer Alonso to Masch, despite our good run of form in his absence.  That said, he's too rusty to be a part of the match Sunday so he'll have to wait.

Thats because you don't notice or understand the "unsung" part of Mascherano's game Bob ie He plays great week in week out  :D
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:55 am

Yes there has been much learning done over the last few weeks. Some of us ardent anti-rotationers have marvelled at how well the team has played, and have had to admit that the light at the end of the tunnel visa-vis number of rotations (although a sneaking feeling persists that if we played Pompey and Birmingham in consecutive matches now, Torres wouldn't be sat on his erse for both of them) was no such thing. Despite however the changes coming thick and fast, the team has probably been in the richest run of form since rafa took over.

For my part, the defending in particular has made me sit up and blink. It really is a testimony to Rafa's coaching ability that despite the chopping and changing of the full-backs, we have managed to defend set-pieces in particular with apparent ease, despite the changes. As I said a couple of pages ago, the zonal marking and lack of offside trap does make it easier but whatever, credit where credit is due it has been a fantastic achievement and something I wouldn't have thought possible (or if you prefer something I'd have been totally wrong about :D ).

Similarly, the more ardent followers of Alonso would probably have to concede that perhaps he isn't quite such an integral figure as they imagined. The so-called "unseen work" is presumeably still unseen because it's now getting done by somebody else, while the rhythm and flow which he undoubtedly brings to the game is also coming from elsewhere.

For my part, despite the above I've been a bit disappointed in Masherano and TBH, despite calling it different before I'd still have Alonso back in the side if fit (although obviously he won't play Sunday). Hopefully however, the proof that the team can function without him over a sutained period will have the dual effect of perhaps encouraging Xabi to move out of his comfort zone and revisit the excellent form he showed in his first season, and perhaps it will also temper some of his most ardent fans just a fraction.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:56 am

s@int wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:I'd still prefer Alonso to Masch, despite our good run of form in his absence.  That said, he's too rusty to be a part of the match Sunday so he'll have to wait.

Thats because you don't notice or understand the "unsung" part of Mascherano's game Bob ie He plays great week in week out  :D

:laugh:

Touche, mate, touche!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:59 am

Bad Bob wrote:To elaborate, I think Mascherano is a fantastic player but doesn't do enough with the ball going forward.  In terms of distribution, Alonso is a better option.  Defensively, I don't think Alonso matches the Argentine in terms of pace or tenacity in harrying ball carriers but his defensive positioning and tackling are superior (Masch opts for the risky slide tackle too often, IMO) so it's fairly close in that department.  Overall then, Alonso shades it for me and I'll be happy to have him back.

I prefer Mascherano (very slightly)but to be fair to Alonso I am sure he would have benefitted from the return of Kewell. Big difference between hitting Riise with an early ball and getting one to Kewell IMO.

Alonso has not played to his best level for a long while, either he has been "sussed out" or maybe the lack of options infront of him has restricted him slightly. Hopefully he will refind his form when he comes back.

I just hope we manage to keep both.
account deleted by request

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:04 am

bigmick wrote:Yes there has been much learning done over the last few weeks. Some of us ardent anti-rotationers have marvelled at how well the team has played, and have had to admit that the light at the end of the tunnel visa-vis number of rotations (although a sneaking feeling persists that if we played Pompey and Birmingham in consecutive matches now, Torres wouldn't be sat on his erse for both of them) was no such thing. Despite however the changes coming thick and fast, the team has probably been in the richest run of form since rafa took over.

For my part, the defending in particular has made me sit up and blink. It really is a testimony to Rafa's coaching ability that despite the chopping and changing of the full-backs, we have managed to defend set-pieces in particular with apparent ease, despite the changes. As I said a couple of pages ago, the zonal marking and lack of offside trap does make it easier but whatever, credit where credit is due it has been a fantastic achievement and something I wouldn't have thought possible (or if you prefer something I'd have been totally wrong about :D ).

Similarly, the more ardent followers of Alonso would probably have to concede that perhaps he isn't quite such an integral figure as they imagined. The so-called "unseen work" is presumeably still unseen because it's now getting done by somebody else, while the rhythm and flow which he undoubtedly brings to the game is also coming from elsewhere.

For my part, despite the above I've been a bit disappointed in Masherano and TBH, despite calling it different before I'd still have Alonso back in the side if fit (although obviously he won't play Sunday). Hopefully however, the proof that the team can function without him over a sutained period will have the dual effect of perhaps encouraging Xabi to move out of his comfort zone and revisit the excellent form he showed in his first season, and perhaps it will also temper some of his most ardent fans just a fraction.

Fair enough, mate.  We have indeed coped quite well in Alonso's absence (Agger's too, it must be said).  But, as you've said yourself, there are aspects to Alonso's game that Mascherano doesn't possess and that Xabi would therefore still be an important member of the squad.  Put another way, we were absolutely fantastic during Gerrard's absence earlier in the season but that doesn't mean Gerrard was expendable.  I still rate Alonso quite highly and I think we are a better team when he is in the side.  Is he undroppable?  No.  Is he surplus to requirements? Not at all.

I take your point about him perhaps needing to raise his game to compete now.  Funny enough, you've just made a nice case for rotation. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion