LIVERPOOL VS BARNSLEY - 16th feb 2008 - FA Cup 5th round

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Our squad on Saturday was full of internationals and we were playing at home against a team from the Championship. We should have been able to beat them single-handedly with the players at hand. But instead the players- like against Havant- were complacent and we got we deserved. The players need to realize they are paid a fortune and have a rare opportunity to play for a team of our history and reputation. And if they only want to show up, when they feel like it, then they should frankly be shown the door.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:53 pm

stmichael wrote:Our squad on Saturday was full of internationals and we were playing at home against a team from the Championship. We should have been able to beat them single-handedly with the players at hand. But instead the players- like against Havant- were complacent and we got we deserved. The players need to realize they are paid a fortune and have a rare opportunity to play for a team of our history and reputation. And if they only want to show up, when they feel like it, then they should frankly be shown the door.

the thing is they get this idea that they only have to turn up to win from Rafa, he is the one that says stuff like "small team".
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:55 pm

If Rafa had left this club2 years ago we would be doing better than what we are now, and if we had got the right man to start with 4 years ago we would have won the Prem by now as well.
Last edited by lakes10 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:06 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Who assembled all those players not good enough to beat Barnsley?

The same man that gave this club its biggest night for 21 years.

NEVER FORGET IT

You won't wipe out 18 years of waitin by changin the manager, Utd and Arsenal win things thru patience - have some son.

At my age I'v been lucky, I'v seen all 5 Euro Cups, alot of the championship wins, many other cups come our way and some great football. If you aint seen it then I have sympathy, but you support a team for itself, not its glory or its past. Liverpool IS the greatest club in the world, some day soon it'll reflect that and hopefully Rafa'll still be at the helm.

Where would Utd be now if they'd ditched Ferguson? Or Arsenal if they fired Wenger? I wonder how long Grant can keep Chelsea goin.

Barnsley was a let down yes - by the players on the pitch.
Those players were put there by Benitez, fair enough, but do you believe they were good enough to beat Barnsley or was it plainly obvious we were gonna suffer a humiliatin defeat?

And be honest wi yourself as well mate, not jus knee jerk reactions plz.

So at which point does Rafa start taking some of the blame?

Rafa isn't infallible and has made MANY mistakes this season. Its about time some fans opened their eyes and became realistic - Rafa cannot and will not win us a title. He has taken us a far as he can, like many have said - he is a champions league manager. His assets as a manager lie in european football. He has tried and failed as a Premiership winning manager, his league form only goes to show that.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ribenaboy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:17 pm

sooner he's gone, sooner we can start rebuilding
ribenaboy

Postby stmichael » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:47 pm

We still lack any sense of idea or leadership when Gerrard doesnt play. I think we got shut of Hamann far too early.  Carragher as much as I love him is part of the problem - he is undroppable but I am getting sick of the hoofing.  He is beginning to make Riise look like a cultured ball player.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:08 pm

I agree that a ball playing centre back is needed - a young Franz Beckanbauer for £5m would do :D

Agger looks decent on the ball, too early to tell about skrtel's ability on the ball.

It also worries me that our centre midfielders Alonso and Masch seem to turn their backs on the defenders instead of looking for the ball. Risse hoofs it too much and even his throw ins are usually just long 50/50 ones - it's like Wimbledon sometimes.

SG and Torres seem like the only ones confident on the ball sometimes and this isn't just a confidence issue re loss of form.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:11 pm

How about shadowing Ferguson next time he goes on a jolly looking for a new signing ? I mean, Vidic is in my mind a class defender - nothing gets past him. Evra was a class defensive addition; Toure at Arsenal ditto....These teams seem to have a knack of signing quality FOOTBALLERS....what have we got in the same period ? Aside from Agger ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:46 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Big Niall wrote:Who assembled all those players not good enough to beat Barnsley?

NEVER FORGET IT

You won't wipe out 18 years of waitin by changin the manager, Utd and Arsenal win things thru patience - have some son.

At my age I'v been lucky, I'v seen all 5 Euro Cups, alot of the championship wins, many other cups come our way and some great football. If you aint seen it then I have sympathy, but you support a team for itself, not its glory or its past. Liverpool IS the greatest club in the world, some day soon it'll reflect that and hopefully Rafa'll still be at the helm.

Where would Utd be now if they'd ditched Ferguson? Or Arsenal if they fired Wenger? I wonder how long Grant can keep Chelsea goin.

Those players were put there by Benitez, fair enough, but do you believe they were good enough to beat Barnsley or was it plainly obvious we were gonna suffer a humiliatin defeat?

Rafa isn't infallible and has made MANY mistakes this season. Its about time some fans opened their eyes and became realistic - Rafa cannot and will not win us a title. He has taken us a far as he can, like many have said - he is a champions league manager. His assets as a manager lie in european football. He has tried and failed as a Premiership winning manager, his league form only goes to show that.

I'll accept Rafa has made mistakes, thats why pencils have rubbers on the end - we all do!!

What I wont accept, and nor should any genuine fan, is that every error, every poor pass/shot is down to Benitez. Most of what we see on the pitch is down to poor decisions by players on multi million pound contracts.

I'm not pickin on anybody now, but can I ask a couple of you anti-Rafa's to ask yourself this;-

"Do I need to be told what to do every minute of my working life or am I intelligent enough and skilled within my role to perform without the need for constant supervision?"

If the answer's as I expect, and we don't all need to be nannied, why is it not partly (mostly) down to players inabilities to perform and thus accept criticism?

We all see the guy at the side of the pitch wringin his hands cuz someone jus pulled a massive rick and maybe cost a goal one way or another. Yes, he may have signed them, but is it the guy who employed you's fault when that multi million pound project comes to a grindin halt cuz the order's still in your desk drawer? Cuz you forgot to post it?

The manager takes the stick, in all areas of life its expected, but I'm sorry, Saturday was down to a pure poor performance from a bunch of over paid prima donnas that have got life sorted. End of.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:52 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:What I wont accept, and nor should any genuine fan, is that every error, every poor pass/shot is down to Benitez. Most of what we see on the pitch is down to poor decisions by players on multi million pound contracts.

Well, I've seen some weird things written considered "sensible". In my book sensible is what you are writting.

Some people hurry to say "Who lined up the men who lost against Barnsley", trying to blame everything on Rafa.

IMHO even my neighbour who's a coach of a Regional (Lower than fourth division) team has the necessary knowledge to beat a lower team with good players. At the end the ones playing are the players.

The players have to take some blame aswell, and that includes some of my favourite ones.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:23 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

NEVER FORGET IT

I'll accept Rafa has made mistakes, thats why pencils have rubbers on the end - we all do!!

What I wont accept, and nor should any genuine fan, is that every error, every poor pass/shot is down to Benitez. Most of what we see on the pitch is down to poor decisions by players on multi million pound contracts.

I'm not pickin on anybody now, but can I ask a couple of you anti-Rafa's to ask yourself this;-

"Do I need to be told what to do every minute of my working life or am I intelligent enough and skilled within my role to perform without the need for constant supervision?"

If the answer's as I expect, and we don't all need to be nannied, why is it not partly (mostly) down to players inabilities to perform and thus accept criticism?

We all see the guy at the side of the pitch wringin his hands cuz someone jus pulled a massive rick and maybe cost a goal one way or another. Yes, he may have signed them, but is it the guy who employed you's fault when that multi million pound project comes to a grindin halt cuz the order's still in your desk drawer? Cuz you forgot to post it?

The manager takes the stick, in all areas of life its expected, but I'm sorry, Saturday was down to a pure poor performance from a bunch of over paid prima donnas that have got life sorted. End of.

This might carry a little more weight if this was just a "one off result and performance". The fact that we have struggled previously against poor opposition tells me its more than just the players having an off day. If the players don't try you drop them , if they arn't good enough you replace them.

Rafa picked the team, trained them, motivated them, decided on the formation and tactics. FFS its not rocket science, if a  a team performs consistantly poorly against lower opposition there is a serious problem of motivation that needs to be addressed. If Rafa didn't sort it out after the previous games against mighty Luton and wonderful Havant ITS HIS FAULT.
account deleted by request

Postby Iamsupersub » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:53 pm

Well I have joined this forum again after posting on here two weeks ago after a poor display against Aston Villa.

Me .... well I am just 50 years of age and have supported Liverpool since my first breath ... I stood in the Kop just aged 7 ... my first FA Cup 1965 ... was at the 1977 European Cup.. 3-1 ... I could write on here for the next hour telling you stories about the shankly era but in 1985 I had to move away because of my old mans job.

Firstly I must add I am dissapointed by this forum and will probably get told to P*** off again and barred just because of the attitude with some of these so called supporters and NO I am not a bloody Manc [ciggy]

The bottom line is there is a fundamental problem with the attitude of the Team it can be seen over the last 5 weeks and we constantly back Rafa and I for one think he has done an outstanding job but the situation cannot go on any longer I am positive that the weekly rotation of the team is causing problems.

What worries me is that the team appears to be drifting and when I look at the players they appear jaded.

Yes Rafa may go... but who do we get in??

I am worried ...

I am gutted when I watch certain teams playing with classic wingers and [No ciggy I am not a Manc!!!]

I worry about ''my'' team and certainly hope that the match on Tuesday will be the turning point and Rafa can prove people wrong.

Did you see that on Sky sports they reported that Rafa's press conference was particulary terrible and  he 'like' the players seemed 'jaded'...?

Probably get barred again!!!!

NO I am NOT A MANC ''just'' because I compare how Liverpool compare to other teams in the premiership.

cheers

Iamsupersub
Iamsupersub

Postby Ciggy » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Iamsupersub wrote:Well I have joined this forum again after posting on here two weeks ago after a poor display against Aston Villa.

Me .... well I am just 50 years of age and have supported Liverpool since my first breath ... I stood in the Kop just aged 7 ... my first FA Cup 1965 ... was at the 1977 European Cup.. 3-1 ... I could write on here for the next hour telling you stories about the shankly era but in 1985 I had to move away because of my old mans job.

Firstly I must add I am dissapointed by this forum and will probably get told to P*** off again and barred just because of the attitude with some of these so called supporters and NO I am not a bloody Manc [ciggy]

The bottom line is there is a fundamental problem with the attitude of the Team it can be seen over the last 5 weeks and we constantly back Rafa and I for one think he has done an outstanding job but the situation cannot go on any longer I am positive that the weekly rotation of the team is causing problems.

What worries me is that the team appears to be drifting and when I look at the players they appear jaded.

I am worried ...

I am gutted when I watch certain teams playing with classic wingers and [No ciggy I am not a Manc!!!]

I worry about ''my'' team and certainly hope that the match on Tuesday will be the turning point and Rafa can prove people wrong.

Did you see that on Sky sports they reported that Rafa's press conference was particulary terrible and  he 'like' the players seemed 'jaded'...?

NO I am NOT A MANC ''just'' because I compare how Liverpool compare to other teams in the premiership.

cheers

Iamsupersub

Err do I know you ?  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:09 pm

Ciggy wrote:
Iamsupersub wrote:Well I have joined this forum again after posting on here two weeks ago after a poor display against Aston Villa.

I am worried ...

cheers

Iamsupersub

Err do I know you ?  ???

He's a manc!

:D
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:15 pm

Liverpool Echo gave man of the match to......................Pepe Reina

Shows how good the rest of them played
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion