Liverpool v Spurs (H) Prem 7/10/07 - Pre-match and build up discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LittleHobo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:46 pm

and yeah we still lack quality wingers

pennant just isnt explosive enough and babel isnt a winger

i like benayoun but he is more of a winger suited to arsenals style of play, coming inside, full back overlapping etc
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:52 pm

Hi Guys , the lack of atmosphere argument interests me. When it's dead as it was today "toursits" and OOT's" get the blame but for me it's got a lot more to do with the previous 2 games held there . P2 D1 Goals scored 0................ It's flat because the performances are flat and has got little to do with the mix of the crowd as 28,000 are season ticket holders are in attendence and should know the songs by now ! :D 

It's the chicken and egg situation or to give it it's football equivalent the performance and the party ! :p If all is well then the atmosphere is possibly the finest in the Premiership but we couldn't buy a goal leading up to today's game and the belief in both the team (and the fans) showed.

With regard to today's game some have argued that Hyppia has lost his pace. When did he HAVE pace ? Spurs are no mugs and a bad start to a season doesn't make them a bad team. Last season we indeed did win 3-0 but the result flattered us and Jenas missed a sitter at 0-0 before we eventually overan them.

The reality is that we aren't playing well and I don't have any quick fixes. The absebnce of Alonso and Agger has definitely affected the balance of the team. We remain unbeaten but the next 2 games against the Bitters and The Arsenal should begin to define our season. .....................

Walk on ...........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 pm

Not a bad result. As bad as their league position is, Spurs are still a quality team.

Sucker punched with the Keane goals, but to our credit we pushed until the very end and it's good to see Torres getting another goal.

That being said, this international break is coming at the right time I think.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LittleHobo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:56 pm

it could have been worse today

we are still unbeaten

but the timer is ticking for rafa in my opinion

this his 4th season and we still look like we lack 3 quality additions to the first team
LittleHobo
LFC Super Member

Postby redtrader74 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:58 pm

I've just got back from the game, amazed at some of the opinion on here earlier considering that the game can't have been seen, unless it was on a stop start grainy stream. Don't let the facts get in the way of a post people.

Well imo it was almost a decent game, we played quite well, but the players seemed scared to make a mistake, (understandable considering all the exaggerated cr@p flying around), for example Voronin was in on goal, but sort of sh!t himself and tried to set up SG, who still should have scored.

Voronin played well, Mascherano controlled the midfield in the absence of SG who looked as though he had dead legs. There was an inatance early on in the 2nd half we were making a break and  he was fcking jogging, he also pulled out of some tackles.....saving himself for Ingerlund? Hyypia looked a geriatric and cannot play more than one game a week, and even then 90 minutes is a stretch. Theres a fool on here somewhere who still believes that Sami's better than Agger, get back on the meds lad.

I have not seen the re-run of the game on the telly yet, but Spurs only had 2 chances from memory, and they were down to Hyypia and i think Carra for not covering. That was it, other than that i don't remember another shot.

The ground was morgue like, all the fans seemed on edge, and there was lots of moaning.....IDIOTS IT DOESN'T HELP, IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE. Hardly any singing, we tried where we were, but after a verse those around us just fcking shut up, or didn't know the words. It is not good enough to turn up to Anfield and not get involved or sing along, after all the dross about the players money, rotation, the yanks, where we are in the league, or the results, fundementally it boils down to Liverpool FC, and we are there on match day to support the Club, the players the manager so get involved. Its a sad day when we are put to shame by the away lads, who were on good form, and took the p!ss out of us...even that hardly got a response.

A draw at the start was not good enough, at the end it was a ok. Maybe the international break will help, as the players and the manager get some time to take stock, and get away from all the bull. BTW a good team selection IMO.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 am

redtrader74 wrote:I've just got back from the game, amazed at some of the opinion on here earlier considering that the game can't have been seen, unless it was on a stop start grainy stream. Don't let the facts get in the way of a post people.

Well imo it was almost a decent game, we played quite well, but the players seemed scared to make a mistake, (understandable considering all the exaggerated cr@p flying around), for example Voronin was in on goal, but sort of sh!t himself and tried to set up SG, who still should have scored.

Voronin played well, Mascherano controlled the midfield in the absence of SG who looked as though he had dead legs. There was an inatance early on in the 2nd half we were making a break and  he was fcking jogging, he also pulled out of some tackles...saving himself for Ingerlund? Hyypia looked a geriatric and cannot play more than one game a week, and even then 90 minutes is a stretch. Theres a fool on here somewhere who still believes that Sami's better than Agger, get back on the meds lad.

I have not seen the re-run of the game on the telly yet, but Spurs only had 2 chances from memory, and they were down to Hyypia and i think Carra for not covering. That was it, other than that i don't remember another shot.

The ground was morgue like, all the fans seemed on edge, and there was lots of moaning.....IDIOTS IT DOESN'T HELP, IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE. Hardly any singing, we tried where we were, but after a verse those around us just fcking shut up, or didn't know the words. It is not good enough to turn up to Anfield and not get involved or sing along, after all the dross about the players money, rotation, the yanks, where we are in the league, or the results, fundementally it boils down Liverpool FC, and we are there on match day to support the Club, the players the manager so get involved.

A draw at the start was not good enough, at the end it was a ok. Maybe the international break will help, as the players and the manager get some time to take stock, and get away from all the bull. BTW a good team selection IMO.

Yes his name his Smeg and he was arguing over me with it we have enarf missed Agger and Alonso not that Mascharano has been bad but because Gerrard has
roberto green

Postby roberto green » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:09 am

roberto green wrote:Theres a fool on here somewhere who still believes that Sami's better than Agger, get back on the meds lad.

I have not seen the re-run of the game on the telly yet,

Yes his name his Smeg and he was arguing over me with it we have enarf missed Agger and Alonso not that Mascharano has been bad but because Gerrard has been :censored:.

I never went the game and i was going to watch it in my local on the foreign channel but got called into work so watched it on MOTD and liverpool looked good on the highlights so was it he highlights or was they bad?

Maybe its not Gerrards fault he must be awake all night wondering what his missus is up to behind is back.

o
roberto green

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:09 am

Here is the difference - this year we are playing badly but still winning or drawing games.
In years gone by we would have lost them. These ugly points may prove crucial later on.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:14 am

roberto green wrote:
roberto green wrote:Theres a fool on here somewhere who still believes that Sami's better than Agger, get back on the meds lad.

I have not seen the re-run of the game on the telly yet,

Yes his name his Smeg and he was arguing over me with it we have enarf missed Agger and Alonso not that Mascharano has been bad but because Gerrard has been :censored:.

I never went the game and i was going to watch it in my local on the foreign channel but got called into work so watched it on MOTD and liverpool looked good on the highlights so was it he highlights or was they bad?

Maybe its not Gerrards fault he must be awake all night wondering what his missus is up to behind is back.

o

I thought we played fairly well, and had enough of the ball and chances to win. They were snatching a bit at the ball, you could feel the tension. Like i said the way the atmosphere was, you'd know as a player that any mistake and you were going to get it.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi Guys , the lack of atmosphere argument interests me. When it's dead as it was today "toursits" and OOT's" get the blame but for me it's got a lot more to do with the previous 2 games held there . P2 D1 Goals scored 0................ It's flat because the performances are flat and has got little to do with the mix of the crowd as 28,000 are season ticket holders are in attendence and should know the songs by now ! :D 

It's the chicken and egg situation or to give it it's football equivalent the performance and the party ! :p If all is well then the atmosphere is possibly the finest in the Premiership but we couldn't buy a goal leading up to today's game and the belief in both the team (and the fans) showed.

See where you're coming from there Ian but there was barely a song even after we scored. Tottenham fans made us all look stupid. It's not like under the last couple of years under Ged where our football and the performances at Anfield really started to stagnate, it was only 3/4 games ago we were hammering Derby 6-0.

I hear ya sold ya ticket for this one? you picked the right match!

On the plus side it may stand us in good stead to get a late equaliser like that, give the team a bit of belief next time a similar situation arises like + we're still unbeaten and better placed than this time last year. International break has come at just the right time i reckon.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:19 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
petefromleek wrote:
Ciggy wrote:What really got to me today was the Spurs fans singing Anfield is a Library, and wheres your famous fans, I know I am a woman myself but there was an astonishing amount of couples at the ground today no wonder the atmosphere is so feckin sh.it.

I said on this thread (page 3) how I was really looking forward to going to Anfield.  Even as a Tottenham fan, I have watched Liverpool on TV and listened to the "Kop Choir" with appreciation and awe, and I was expecting to hear more of the same today.  However, your vocal support today was awful, in fact it was virtually non-existant.  I would have thought that when your team is under-performing (And I should know all about that), that you should get behind your team.  "Anfield Library" was spot on, today.  The only atmosphere came from the Tottenham fans.

Anfield only produces its famous atmosphere when we play a decent team or the bitters.

edit: just saw ur post where u said ur being sarcastic. sorry.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby redtrader74 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:20 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi Guys , the lack of atmosphere argument interests me. When it's dead as it was today "toursits" and OOT's" get the blame but for me it's got a lot more to do with the previous 2 games held there . P2 D1 Goals scored 0................ It's flat because the performances are flat and has got little to do with the mix of the crowd as 28,000 are season ticket holders are in attendence and should know the songs by now ! :D 

With regard to today's game some have argued that Hyppia has lost his pace. When did he HAVE pace ? Spurs are no mugs and a bad start to a season doesn't make them a bad team. Last season we indeed did win 3-0 but the result flattered us and Jenas missed a sitter at 0-0 before we eventually overan them.

The reality is that we aren't playing well and I don't have any quick fixes. The absebnce of Alonso and Agger has definitely affected the balance of the team. We remain unbeaten but the next 2 games against the Bitters and The Arsenal should begin to define our season. .....................

Walk on ...........

I'm sure you know where a fair few of the season tickets end up too. You're right though, scousers all round us weren't making much noise either. I know that we are pee'd off with recent results, but just like a cruching tacke can get the crowd roused, support from us has got to help our lads, and we have to play our part. Have your say at the end, but for 90 mins it should be the one in all in mentality.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:24 am

Scottbot wrote:

See where you're coming from there Ian but there was barely a song even after we scored. Tottenham fans made us all look stupid. It's not like under the last couple of years under Ged where our football and the performances at Anfield really started to stagnate, it was only 3/4 games ago we were hammering Derby 6-0.

I hear ya sold ya ticket for this one? you picked the right match!

On the plus side it may stand us in good stead to get a late equaliser like that, give the team a bit of belief next time a similar situation arises like + we're still unbeaten and better placed than this time last year. International break has come at just the right time i reckon.

Yeah we have the BlueSh!te next and i just hate it, i just hate it when we go there and fu*k up.

How come we always seem to play them away first in the season and after an international game and yes another early kick off!!!

There is well a conspiracy against us!!!
roberto green

Postby Dalglish » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:27 am

redtrader74 wrote:

Walk on ...........

I'm sure you know where a fair few of the season tickets end up too. You're right though, scousers all round us weren't making much noise either. I know that we are pee'd off with recent results, but just like a cruching tacke can get the crowd roused, support from us has got to help our lads, and we have to play our part. Have your say at the end, but for 90 mins it should be the one in all in mentality.

I agree with you Redtrader but in reality it doesn't happen. If it's was a cucial one off game where the winner takes all the crowd tend to turn up in force with the belief that they can make the difference. Against Barcelona and Chavski last season that was evident but I can't remember the last time it happened in the League ..........

I go a fair few away games and can testify that for the vast majotrity of games the lucky 3 or 4000 away fans sing their heads off. Its why I'd say that I honestly prefer to attend away fixtures as I've become bored with the atmosphere and the surroundings at Anfield. Not an easy thing for me to say but there you have it .............

I know there are fans on here who would sell their mother to get to a single game at Anfield and i'm a years long season ticket holder so it's unlikely to go down well but there you go.

In fact this seaosn (due to a combination of work and family commitments plus the debacle that was Athens in terms of rewarding loyalty to match going fans) I've actually given up my home season ticket this season and I honestly have to say I've yet to shed a tear about not being there........
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:37 pm

I actually thought we played quite well in the first half. Certainly after scoring the goal we could conceivably have been 3-0 up by half time. However the amateurish way in which we conceded both goals was pathetic, considering how good we normally are defensively.

I actaully thought Spurs played well and if they get rid of their manager it's quite frankly ridiculous. Both Berbatov and Keane are top class. For us, nobody really had an decent game. Gerrard still looks off the pace for me. Torres was feeding off scraps. Pennant was poor and the defence was all over the place.

On the positive side, we still haven't lost a game in the league but that's already 6 points dropped at home which is disappointing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion