Liverpool take out an insurance policy - Should rafa decide to leave........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:54 am

I suppose it was inevitable that they would consider other options what with it dragging on so long. Probably not much in it.........

[url=http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/former_chelsea_boss_mourinho_on_the_anfield_radar_if_benitez_leaves_liverpool_rss66635.sht

ml]http://www.football.co.uk/liverpo....5.shtml[/url]

Don't now why it doesn't work, but apparently we sounded out Mourinho.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:05 am

Sorry about the link guys, but on the football rumours sites the word is that we approached Mourinho. If anyone could put a link up for us it'd be cool.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:06 am

No worries mick.....

see below

[url=http://www.football.co.uk/liverpool/former_chelsea_boss_mourinho_on_the_anfield_radar_if_benitez_leaves_liverpool_rss66635.sht

ml]Mick's linky[/url]

EDIT: Strange.... mine doesn't work either..... donno why..... sorry lads.
ConnO'var

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 am

Former Chelsea boss Mourinho on the Anfield radar if Benitez leaves Liverpool
26 Feb 2009 - 23:51:24

Jose Mourinho has been sounded out about the Liverpool
manager's post amid continuing doubts over Rafa Benitez's Anfield future.Sportsmail understands that the former Chelsea
manager is growing increasingly disenchanted at Inter Milan and has been made aware by intermediaries — albeit unofficial — of potential interest from Liverpool, should Benitez leave. Despite heading for the Serie A title in his first season at San Siro, Mourinho has indicated to advisers he would welcome a return to the Barclays Premier League. Taking charge of Manchester United is his main objective, and he is believed to have been earmarked as an eventual replacement for Sir Alex Ferguson, possibly at the end of next season.
Sounded out: Liverpool would consider an approach for Jose Mourinho should Rafa Benitez leave the club
Liverpool maintain a compromise can be found with Benitez but are likely to consider an approach for Mourinho should they fail to resolve their contract impasse. The Liverpool manager tried to play down concerns over his position in the wake of Wednesday's Champions League win at Real Madrid, and is still exploring ways of reaching an agreement. Spanish sources have increased the uncertainty, though, by claiming he feels increasingly isolated and is beginning to question whether he still has unequivocal backing from the dressing room. 

Mourinho, who figured prominently on Liverpool's wanted list when Gerard Houllier was sacked, is clearly in the thoughts of co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett as they bid to find common ground with Benitez.
Talks between lawyers and advisers over contentious clauses in a proposed four-and-a-half-year deal resumed on Wednesday but again failed to satisfy all parties.

SORRY CAN'T GET LINK TO WORK
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 am

Sorry if it's in the wrong place, probs should have put it in rumours or something. It actually sounds to me like a bit of political bluff calling, if Rafa says he might leave then the club say they have made a tentative approach for an alternative candidate.

What is encouraging if there was to be any truth in it (and I don't think there is....breathe guys.........chiiiiiill.............deep breaths......) is that at least we are approaching sensible candidates, people who are actually qualified to do the job.

ANYWAY, THERE'S PROBABLY NOTHING IN IT.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:30 am

Better than Big Sam anyway Mick :D

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:31 am

ConnO'var wrote:EDIT: Strange.... mine doesn't work either..... donno why..... sorry lads.

The whole of the fecking internet community now is censoring this forum,, even fecking NASA and Bill Gates and that bloke off Apple are pro's  :angry:  :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:32 am

s@int wrote:Better than Big Sam anyway Mick :D

:buttrock Yeah
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:03 am

In the papers as well now :-

Liverpool make a Special request for Jose Mourinho if Rafa Benitez goes  Exclusive by David Maddock 27/02/2009

Jose Mourinho is being lined up as the next manager of Liverpool if Rafa Benitez refuses to sign his new contract.

The former Chelsea manager, now at Inter Milan, is top of an Anfield shortlist in case Benitez’s dispute with the club leads to him walking out.

Liverpool’s American owners are increasingly alarmed at the refusal of the Spaniard to sign a new deal after months of negotiations.

And associates of co-owner Tom Hicks have made contact, through a third party, with Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes to explore the possibility of a summer move. Frank Rijkaard, AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti and former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson are also being checked out.

Benitez has consistently moved the goalposts during negotiations even though the Americans have met most of his demands.

That has led to a frenzy of speculation which reached its peak this week, with bookies making him favourite to be the next boss to leave a Premier League club.

It is thought that Benitez is keen to see chief executive Rick Parry moved aside, and the manager has also indicated that he finds it difficult working with co-owner George Gillett.

He also wants assurances in the event of the club being sold.

Hicks is a staunch supporter of the Spaniard but Gillett is less committed and questioned if Benitez should be offered a deal that runs until 2013.

Both men are standing by their offer but they also realise they could be left in a desperate position if Benitez stalls until the end of the season and then decides not to renew - paving the way for his departure.

That is a position that becomes more likely with each day that passes without agreement.

And the owners have acted in the past, interviewing Jurgen Klinsmann for the manager’s job a year ago.

Mourinho clearly fits the bill if a replacement is needed. He has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that, despite success in taking Inter Milan to the top of the Italian League, he would love a return to England.

And he makes no secret of his admiration for Liverpool and the history of the club.

LINK
Last edited by account deleted by request on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 am

jeez, people on here still go on about the klinsman thing, even though that wasnt to be a manager. Imagine what they will make of this, we will never hear the end of it.

On a personal level, great news and lets hope we get him
Last edited by 112-1077774096 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
112-1077774096

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:32 am

I've just been on the interent and there are various people who calim to be "in the know" who are and have been saying it. There was also an article on one of the sites that claimed that Rafa felt he had lost the dressing room but I can't believe there's any truth in that. Anyway the last link I put up it didn't work so I won't try that again, if anybody ese sees it they could put it up.

The good thing about this story is there's something for everyone. For the anti's, i should think most of them would, if Rafa was going to leave, be pretty happy with Mourinho as a replacement. While for the pro's, spectulation that their talking to mourinho will hopefully make Rafa sign a contract. The original happy clappy story and thread in many ways.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:43 am

s@int wrote:In the papers as well now :-

Liverpool make a Special request for Jose Mourinho if Rafa Benitez goes  Exclusive by David Maddock 27/02/2009

Jose Mourinho is being lined up as the next manager of Liverpool if Rafa Benitez refuses to sign his new contract.

The former Chelsea manager, now at Inter Milan, is top of an Anfield shortlist in case Benitez’s dispute with the club leads to him walking out.

Liverpool’s American owners are increasingly alarmed at the refusal of the Spaniard to sign a new deal after months of negotiations.

And associates of co-owner Tom Hicks have made contact, through a third party, with Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes to explore the possibility of a summer move. Frank Rijkaard, AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti and former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson are also being checked out.

Benitez has consistently moved the goalposts during negotiations even though the Americans have met most of his demands.

That has led to a frenzy of speculation which reached its peak this week, with bookies making him favourite to be the next boss to leave a Premier League club.

It is thought that Benitez is keen to see chief executive Rick Parry moved aside, and the manager has also indicated that he finds it difficult working with co-owner George Gillett.

He also wants assurances in the event of the club being sold.

Hicks is a staunch supporter of the Spaniard but Gillett is less committed and questioned if Benitez should be offered a deal that runs until 2013.

Both men are standing by their offer but they also realise they could be left in a desperate position if Benitez stalls until the end of the season and then decides not to renew - paving the way for his departure.

That is a position that becomes more likely with each day that passes without agreement.

And the owners have acted in the past, interviewing Jurgen Klinsmann for the manager’s job a year ago.

Mourinho clearly fits the bill if a replacement is needed. He has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that, despite success in taking Inter Milan to the top of the Italian League, he would love a return to England.

And he makes no secret of his admiration for Liverpool and the history of the club.

LINK

another idiot who doesn't get his facts straight, klinsman was never interviewed for the managers job, I wonder what else maddox has invented, I see he threw a few other names in there, lazy journalism
112-1077774096

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:40 am

I'm not Rafa's biggest fan but I simply cannot condone having Mourinho as our gaffer.

He's track record speaks for itself and there is no doubt in my mind that he's a masterful manager of men but the man's arrogance sticks in me craw.... I do not like his methods and my reasons for not wanting him here are certainly not football related. If no one's noticed, he doesn't stick around too often. I feel that he's an ambitious man and he's already conquered Portugal, England and all signs point to him doing the same again in Italy... unless it starts snowing in hell of course. :D

What are the odds that he'll abandon us to conquer the last great frontier that is Spain?

We've already sold our souls once to the Yanks.... I simply cannot understand why we'd be willing to do the same again with Jose. IMO, he'll leave again once he's proven that his time in Chelsea was no fluke. And then look what's happen to all his previous clubs......

No, I'm sorry lads.... Rafa may not be the answer but neither is Jose methinks.
ConnO'var

Postby aCe' » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:08 am

ConnO'var wrote:I'm not Rafa's biggest fan but I simply cannot condone having Mourinho as our gaffer.

He's track record speaks for itself and there is no doubt in my mind that he's a masterful manager of men but the man's arrogance sticks in me craw.... I do not like his methods and my reasons for not wanting him here are certainly not football related. If no one's noticed, he doesn't stick around too often. I feel that he's an ambitious man and he's already conquered Portugal, England and all signs point to him doing the same again in Italy... unless it starts snowing in hell of course. :D

What are the odds that he'll abandon us to conquer the last great frontier that is Spain?

We've already sold our souls once to the Yanks.... I simply cannot understand why we'd be willing to do the same again with Jose. IMO, he'll leave again once he's proven that his time in Chelsea was no fluke. And then look what's happen to all his previous clubs......

No, I'm sorry lads.... Rafa may not be the answer but neither is Jose methinks.

:Oo:

let me see if i got this right...

you dont want him to come because you think that if he becomes our new manager he'll probably end up winning us the league in a year or two and then decide to leave to Spain leaving us with ...ermmm... a league title and a better squad ?!

yea fck that... lets bring in another Benitez who'll stick around for 5 years and not even come close to winning it... but hey............. he'll stick around  :down:
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby songxiaoz » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:15 am

e...
Jose is a good coach having his own style that i really appreciate and maybe takes us a brighter future.
but...
just maybe he fits us
maybe not.
songxiaoz

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion