Reina i will leave if rafa goes.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:47 am

Jose Reina bombshell: I may leave if Rafa goes from Liverpool this summer

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has admitted he would consider leaving Liverpool if coach Rafael Benitez departs in the summer, describing life at the club without the Spaniard as unimaginable.

Benitez’s future has been in doubt since it was revealed that meetings were held with former Germany coach Jurgen Klinsmann with a view to him replacing Benitez at the end of the season.

The situation worsened recently when the Spanish coach discovered that Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry was involved in what he believed were meetings held behind his back.

Since his arrival on Merseyside in 2003 Benitez has brought a considerable contingent of Spanish talent to Anfield.

Reina arrived in 2005 from Villarreal and enjoyed a good start to life in England when he starred in that season’s FA Cup final penalty shoot-out against West Ham.

And now he says while his allegiance is to Liverpool and not the coach, he would have to consider his options should Benitez go.

“I can’t imagine being at Liverpool without Rafael Benitez.” Reina told Eurosport.

“My contract is with Liverpool, not Rafa Benitez, but I owe a lot to Rafa because he was the one who trusted me at that moment, brought me to Liverpool and supported me, and of course the mutual affection is there. We will have to wait.

“Like I say, my contract is with Liverpool, but if the coach moves and there is the possibility of me joining him, if he coaches another team, of course I would think about that.”

Reina added that Benitez should remain at Anfield as he is building something big, proven by the fact that the club are fighting to play in their third Champions League final in four years.

“The Liverpool project is based upon the way of working of the coach,” he said.

“Rafa is building something that is growing each year, and the results are there. We will have reached three finals in four years if we are lucky against Chelsea, which is very impressive.

“Every year we have a better team and are more competitive.

“With an idea and philosophy of the game he has tried to find the best players. It is a project for the medium or long term.”

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpo....0803167
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:49 am

Rafa aint going anywhere..................Reina stays!!

OK
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 am

Not surprised if more than just Reina think this way.  As far as I am concerned I would sooner lose Torres than Rafa.  Since Benitez has been at the club we have shown a steady improvement and I dont want us falling back into mid table.
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:04 am

Espionage wrote:Not surprised if more than just Reina think this way.  As far as I am concerned I would sooner lose Torres than Rafa.  Since Benitez has been at the club we have shown a steady improvement and I dont want us falling back into mid table.

Its off a dodgy website................Reina stays relax!

As for that c.unt above,mid table is his best!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:21 am

so if this is true we know where reinas priorities lie, and it isn't with LFC, its with rafa baneitez. thanks for letting us know pepe that you re not here for the club or the fans
112-1077774096

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:37 am

Once again, the spin doctors are at work. This is a false statement. It's bollox. Reina probably stated something regarding Rafa and his career. No doubt We'll hear Reina deny this in a day or so. Typical. No one should believe such things coming from the press, and if you do, then you obviously don't learn your lesson.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:01 am

It's nothing new this story. It's well documented that they share the same agent. It's always been on the cards that Reina would be the first to follow Rafa, the fact is though, Rafa ain't goin' anywhere.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:06 am

True false or exagerrated , does it surprise me ? no, does it bother me ? no .

It's a pound to a penny that ALL our Spanish players will eventually leave LFC , most likely to return to Spain and who can blame them ? Rafa's departure would naturally speed up the process .

When you read articles about their home life here in England it seems clear that for them it's less than fulfilling. Primarily they're here to do a job, I'm sure they love the LFC experience and it will probably prove to be the highpoint of their respective careers , but I certainly wouldn't blame them if the loss of their countryman and mentor prompted them to think about leaving, and in a way I find the honesty is fairly refreshing.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:08 am

Spot on Woof
account deleted by request

Postby Number 9 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:24 am

woof woof ! wrote:True false or exagerrated , does it surprise me ? no, does it bother me ? no .

It's a pound to a penny that ALL our Spanish players will eventually leave LFC , most likely to return to Spain and who can blame them ? Rafa's departure would naturally speed up the process .

When you read articles about their home life here in England it seems clear that for them it's less than fulfilling. Primarily they're here to do a job, I'm sure they love the LFC experience and it will probably prove to be the highpoint of their respective careers , but I certainly wouldn't blame them if the loss of their countryman and mentor prompted them to think about leaving, and in a way I find the honesty is fairly refreshing.

Fruit ! If Torres leaves cause arbeloa has a sore toe i'm blamming rafa! :nod

El Toe,or El Riise

El Liverpool!! :buttrock
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:32 am

Are you back on your medication ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:40 am

I'm not going to lose sleep if Reina leaves, certainly a number of our spaniards are not irreplacable with the obvious exception of Torres. If these players are playing for Rafa and not for Liverpool then they are free to go in my opinion, they should play for the club not the manager. There was talk when Josie left that there would be a mass exodus, well that would have shown no loyalty to the club or team mates. And of course it has yet to happen.

Reina has been vulnerable enough that his presence is not vital, if he and one or two others left and a manager came in a la Grant to take over the existing squad then I reckon man2man marking and a few key signings and we could be challenging - Reina isn't key to that success.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:02 am

a strong show of support for the manager and yet some find a way to criticise the player for speaking up.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:26 am

peewee wrote:so if this is true we know where reinas priorities lie, and it isn't with LFC, its with rafa baneitez. thanks for letting us know pepe that you re not here for the club or the fans

Yawn.

Face facts mate, Benitez is integral here, wether your xenephobic or not. You are in the absolute minority in your views, in fact its only you and heidall that I can see who still maintain this rubbsh.

I dare say your stubborness is getting in the way, and you can in fact see why Benitez is important, but cant be seen to be backing down as you need to have the "wacky" outlook all the time.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:30 am

woof woof ! wrote:Are you back on your medication ???

The docs have still not found a 'medication' to cure me or millions of others!
Apparently eternal optomism with respect to'discretion' is kinda of off the shelf,fair play if they can find a tablet to help people keep their mouths shut!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion