If rafa were to leave this summer - Trying to spark some debate here...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Well Red » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:09 pm

hello_red wrote:Well if Rafa left i wouldnt mind seeing ... Paul Jewell. He's a passionate man to man manager. But obviously would need the backing from the board financially or we would end up with him leaving within a couple of seasons.

Really? Paul Jewell's name is one that I honestly didn't expect to have been banded around here. I've never thought of him as a great tactical manager, but I do consider him a good man-to-man manager in the Fabio Capello or Sam Allardyce mould. To be fair this opinion of him that I have has been built mainly around his days with Bradford City, because they did so well to survive relegation that year at the expense of Wednesday and I got the sense he had really brought that team together to focus on survival - remember the surprise 1-0 win over us on the last day of the 1999-2000 season to give them the vital 3 points they needed? However, the fact remains that he hasn't done anything special with Wigan or Sheffield Wesnesday since then (budget taken into account) - so more than anything I don't think that he would deserve such a prestigous job. His lack of experience could be costly.

What are people's thoughts on Alan Curbishley? Similar managerial background to Jewell and English but with a very different approach. In fact, Curbishley's quiet tactical approach is as close to Rafa's as any other manager in the Premiership and would maintain a sense of stability going into the new season - bringing in someone radically different like Capello may rock the boat somewhat. Also the fact that Curbishley was widely touted to succeed Eriksson at National level shows that he'd not be afraid at taking on a high-pressured job and is considered good enough by the general public to succeed at top level.

------------------------------------------------------------
:)  thanks for the votes of confidence! Although I joined more than a year ago I only rediscovered this forum earlier this year so I'm relatively a n00b.
Last edited by Well Red on Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Bench » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:37 pm

looks like the topic has gone right round the houses wellred mate! just got of another 12 hour shift and see the post has been saved from abuse by the saint, and apparently almost derailed by invaders during the day. (great job mods for clearing that lot)

Talking of curbishley, apparently he was the choice of the, as then, uneducated SG MO JC and danny mutphy, as the ideal replacement for GH. Good job 2 out of the 3 rafa wanted stayed, hey!(Obviously, this is old news too many, so i'll move on!).

In a purely hypothetical :p world I still think King kenny. I had it on usually reliable authority he was well up for it when GH left, but as this is hypopathetical (put that in for the haters!) stand by my original comments in that the club and the majority of the match going fans would embrace it. As for hm being outta the game too long, i'd say thats more time to study it.

In a big name glry hunting chmpman playing world then it's gotta be ........................................my 16 year old brother, he knows all the cheats!!!!!!

ynwa
The Bench

Postby hunterz » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:40 pm

Mourinho:D (just joking)
hunterz

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:47 am

ok can somebody tell me why Real wants to get rid of Capello when he just won them the La Liga after not winning for 3 consec years? that Calderon fella must be mad... they're not gonna get anywhere if they keep on sacking their managers and think that the players are more important than the manager...

to keep to this topic if Rafa were to go Capello would still be my first choice (stated it before) simply because he wins league titles wherever he goes...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:55 am

IMO Capello is not a manager who is as likely to succeed in England as he is in Spain or Italy, I think he'd have problems in adapting to the language and the style of English football.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:16 am

LFC2007 wrote:IMO Capello is not a manager who is as likely to succeed in England as he is in Spain or Italy, I think he'd have problems in adapting to the language and the style of English football.

well he showed in milan that he can make them play attractive attacking football as opposed to the very tactical italian style, in roma he turned a very mediocre team into a league winning team, in madrid he created structure to a structureless team and even emphasised defence and won the la liga... IMO he can adapt quite well to different situations...

of course i must admit there's already very good talents in all of those teams...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion