Liverpool take out an insurance policy - Should rafa decide to leave........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:18 am

Duno why people want Mourhino if they already think we are boring to watch, Mourhino is more defensive than Rafa.

Anyway I want Rafa to stay.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:27 am

Ciggy wrote:Duno why people want Mourhino if they already think we are boring to watch, Mourhino is more defensive than Rafa.

Anyway I want Rafa to stay.

hey cigs... theres a difference between being boring and winning nothing though and being boring while winning titles and all, surely ?

what mourinho knows best is how to win...which is what you need for a league campaign i guess.. Benitez knows how not to lose, which gets us a champs league spot and a good run in cup competitions..
i know who i'd pick from the two...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 am

I have said it before and now I will say it again

Maureen at Chelsea, loads of money to spend and a very tolerant owner, owner becomes more involved in Managers job and then not so tolerant Maureen gone.

Liverpool no money to spend and a pair of f.uckwits who decide who the manager signs and also couldn't run a bath never mind a football club  ???

I am sure he is packing his bags as we speak :laugh:
destro

Postby Owzat » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:32 am

Josie Moaninho

Porto - took over the best side in the league, having been champions SIXTEEN times in the last 24 seasons. No great shock they have won the last three league titles in Portugal without Josie, having seen Sporting Lisbon demolished by Bayern at home the other day it is little wonder. He also won the European Cup with Porto, but Rafa managed that in his first season with mostly Houllier players and only the fourth best team in the league at the time (still there or thereabouts)

Chelsea - took over a title contending side built by Ranieri that finished second only to the "invincibles". He spent a fair bit of money, won the league a couple of times then quickly undid his good work after the second title and Chelsea haven't been the same since. He couldn't even get the better of Rafa with superior resources and supposedly being "the special one"

Inter - took over the best side in Italy, Serie A champions in 05/06, 06/07 AND 07/08. Whoop-dee-doo, didn't look the be all and end all against the mancs, the mancs will feel they should have won that one by at least a couple of goals.

And do we really want a manager who STILL harps on about the last home game he lost about 100 odd games ago, who claims "the best side lost", plays pretty drab football and is just so bl**dy arrogant it's unbelievable? I could see him coming in, falling out with Torres and Gerrard, and us losing them two. His ego is just too big, I can see it doing more harm than good
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:36 am

Well I'm not going to get into his record other than to point out it is very good, but there's another thread for that. Equally, whether or not he'd be a good manager for the club has been discussed before. It was more a case of posting up a rumour more than anything, and the clubs attempt to no doubt nudge the manager to sign a new contract.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 am

Once again media stirring and once again our fans seem to believe what is being said .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:36 am

I actualy feel sick at the thought of him coming here . Looks like our bas.stard owners have been reading newkit for an opinion about the smug one :no

I will be absolutly gutted if Rafa goes an he comes in
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:45 am

mmmm so when the media say something bad about rafa its bullsh!t, but if they something good then its gospel, and if they say something bad about the owners that's gospel also  :O  :O
112-1077774096

Postby Scottbot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:09 am

peewee wrote:
s@int wrote:In the papers as well now :-

Liverpool make a Special request for Jose Mourinho if Rafa Benitez goes  Exclusive by David Maddock 27/02/2009

Jose Mourinho is being lined up as the next manager of Liverpool if Rafa Benitez refuses to sign his new contract.

The former Chelsea manager, now at Inter Milan, is top of an Anfield shortlist in case Benitez’s dispute with the club leads to him walking out.

Liverpool’s American owners are increasingly alarmed at the refusal of the Spaniard to sign a new deal after months of negotiations.

And associates of co-owner Tom Hicks have made contact, through a third party, with Mourinho’s agent Jorge Mendes to explore the possibility of a summer move. Frank Rijkaard, AC Milan boss Carlo Ancelotti and former England manager Sven Goran Eriksson are also being checked out.

Benitez has consistently moved the goalposts during negotiations even though the Americans have met most of his demands.

That has led to a frenzy of speculation which reached its peak this week, with bookies making him favourite to be the next boss to leave a Premier League club.

It is thought that Benitez is keen to see chief executive Rick Parry moved aside, and the manager has also indicated that he finds it difficult working with co-owner George Gillett.

He also wants assurances in the event of the club being sold.

Hicks is a staunch supporter of the Spaniard but Gillett is less committed and questioned if Benitez should be offered a deal that runs until 2013.

Both men are standing by their offer but they also realise they could be left in a desperate position if Benitez stalls until the end of the season and then decides not to renew - paving the way for his departure.

That is a position that becomes more likely with each day that passes without agreement.

And the owners have acted in the past, interviewing Jurgen Klinsmann for the manager’s job a year ago.

Mourinho clearly fits the bill if a replacement is needed. He has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that, despite success in taking Inter Milan to the top of the Italian League, he would love a return to England.

And he makes no secret of his admiration for Liverpool and the history of the club.

LINK

another idiot who doesn't get his facts straight, klinsman was never interviewed for the managers job, I wonder what else maddox has invented, I see he threw a few other names in there, lazy journalism

there's not a lot of journalism out there that isn't lazy mate, they are the laziest fookers on the planet.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am

GYBS wrote:Once again media stirring and once again our fans seem to believe what is being said .

Not sure if people are believing this time.

But I'd say that the journos read newkit and made up the story from there!

This, more than journalism, is tale writting.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:25 am

Sabre wrote:
GYBS wrote:Once again media stirring and once again our fans seem to believe what is being said .

It wouldnt surprise me mate if some do believe - its all rumours and bullsh it just like the rafa was supposed to leave after the madrid game stuff - the media are loving the sh it stirring and trying to take away the gloss from our win . As opposed to actual facts about our co efficent being no 1 in europe which is actual FACT.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am

GYBS wrote:
Sabre wrote:

It wouldnt surprise me mate if some do believe - its all rumours and bullsh it just like the rafa was supposed to leave after the madrid game stuff - the media are loving the sh it stirring and trying to take away the gloss from our win . As opposed to actual facts about our co efficent being no 1 in europe which is actual FACT.

I haven't seen a single post on here saying that people do believe the story. I can't honestly see why you're getting so excited about it, it's just a newspaper story after all.

That said, given the extremely protracted nature of Rafa's contract negotiations, they (the owners/Parry) will almost certainly have sounded somebody out just in case. Given the owners "skintness" though, I think it would be far more likely to be somebody who wouldn't need to be bought out of a contract before he began working at Liverpool.

Those who hate Mourinho's guts should be able to sleep fairly safely I should think, I'd be very surprised if he was or is the one, special or not.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:52 am

aCe' wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:I'm not Rafa's biggest fan but I simply cannot condone having Mourinho as our gaffer.

He's track record speaks for itself and there is no doubt in my mind that he's a masterful manager of men but the man's arrogance sticks in me craw.... I do not like his methods and my reasons for not wanting him here are certainly not football related. If no one's noticed, he doesn't stick around too often. I feel that he's an ambitious man and he's already conquered Portugal, England and all signs point to him doing the same again in Italy... unless it starts snowing in hell of course. :D

What are the odds that he'll abandon us to conquer the last great frontier that is Spain?

We've already sold our souls once to the Yanks.... I simply cannot understand why we'd be willing to do the same again with Jose. IMO, he'll leave again once he's proven that his time in Chelsea was no fluke. And then look what's happen to all his previous clubs......

No, I'm sorry lads.... Rafa may not be the answer but neither is Jose methinks.

:Oo:

let me see if i got this right...

you dont want him to come because you think that if he becomes our new manager he'll probably end up winning us the league in a year or two and then decide to leave to Spain leaving us with ...ermmm... a league title and a better squad ?!

yea fck that... lets bring in another Benitez who'll stick around for 5 years and not even come close to winning it... but hey............. he'll stick around  :down:

I'm afraid that you didn't quite get that right mate..... no fault of yours as reading it again, I can see how that may be misconstrued.

I'll try to be a little clearer. My main point is that I don't want him as our manager because I don't particularly like the way he carries himself as well as the lack of humility he exhibits. I guess I should have elaborated as well, that in him, I see a very striking resemblance to Ferguson. And by no means do I want us to sink to that level.

The point about him possibly fecking off to Spain later is a cautionary note to those that do want him here. He doesn't strike as me the kind of manager that would be in it for the long haul. That's all.
ConnO'var

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am

Not talking about Mourinho particularly, but is "long haul" a pre-requisite though Conn? Rjikkjard wasn't long haul at barcelona but seemed to do a decent job. I think managers like Ferguson are absolute one offs, and we shouldn't be concerning ourselves too much with trying to find our own version. That's why I've never bought into the 'it took Fergie seven years' angle. So what? It took Wenger one. It took Mourinho one. That's not to say I hasten to add that you give a manager one year, but if somebody came in, stayed for three seasons and won the title twice before fecking off can anybody say he wouldn't be worth employing on that basis? .

I'm not saying necessarily that Mourinho or indeed anyone else would be that successful, but in interview "are you prepared to stay for 15 years" shouldn't be the first question. "Will you win us the title soon" should.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:17 pm

bigmick wrote:Not talking about Mourinho particularly, but is "long haul" a pre-requisite though Conn? Rjikkjard wasn't long haul at barcelona but seemed to do a decent job. I think managers like Ferguson are absolute one offs, and we shouldn't be concerning ourselves too much with trying to find our own version. That's why I've never bought into the 'it took Fergie seven years' angle. So what? It took Wenger one. It took Mourinho one. That's not to say I hasten to add that you give a manager one year, but if somebody came in, stayed for three seasons and won the title twice before fecking off can anybody say he wouldn't be worth employing on that basis? .

I'm not saying necessarily that Mourinho or indeed anyone else would be that successful, but in interview "are you prepared to stay for 15 years" shouldn't be the first question. "Will you win us the title soon" should.

I don't think that another 5 year plan is what we need either. Absolutely agree that if we can get someone in to win the fecker tomorow, all the better. But we need to understand that that's going to be a quick fix.

In the long term though, I think it's a little dangerous. With the exception of Torres, our big players are going to be approaching their use by dates in the next few years. In addition to the possibility of instant gratification from a "one night stand" so to speak, the health of our club needs the stability, long term planning and comfort of a stable marriage. We can't always be going around dipping the wick.

And I disagree that long termers like Ferguson and Wenger are one-offs, mate. The reason they've been there so long is simply because success begets success..... whatever the methods employed.

The Mancs formed a stable base and then proceeded to add expensive additions year in, year out. They are able to do that because the manager has built a reputation for success which makes it easier to get the backing of the board in addition to making it easier to sign big names.

Wenger on the other hand has built a reputation for recognizing talent and helping them along, which is why the advisors of talented youngsters tend to push their young charges in the direction of Highbury. Seeing as his club took the option of not selling their soul in order to expand their stadium and hence increase revenue, they had to use monies, I'd imagine, normally set aside for strengthening the squad, safe in the knowledge that they had a man at the helm who could take them further than the requisite 4th when the monies are finally freed up.

In order to take this sort of approaches, a stable management team needs to be in place for long term plans to come into fruition. If we were constantly changing managers every other season, we'd be like a rudderless ship as different managers will have different ideas and methods to achieve their goals.

That's not to say that any manager should be given carte blanche. If the said methods have been given ample opportunity and hasn't proven to successful in the club's main goals, then obviously a change should and must be sought IMO.
ConnO'var

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion