Liverpool spending under rafa - To prove a point !

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:55 pm

fivecups wrote:
Flight wrote:Now if we are also going to include add ons, surely we should be doing that with the other clubs too ?  Given the size of their transfer fees and the wages they offer, I am certain other clubs pay much more in add ons than we do.

On top of that is wages. If we are judging a managers expenditure then wages are an essential part of the comparison.

For this we have an undisputable source - Deloitte and Touche produce their annual football report, which details exactly, to the penny, how much each slub spends in wages.

Haven't got them to hand just now, but (off the top of my head and can spend time getting exact figures if people want it) even Arsenal have spent approx £80mill in wages alone just since Rafa has been here, than we have.

Chelsea spend £50mill a year !!!! more in wages than we do. Feck knows how much the add ons cost to their transfers, but it will be in line with their wages.

The Mancs spend approx £25mill a year more than us in wages.

I think it would be almost impossible to get an accurate comparison of club transfer spending plus add-ons reached although it would be interesting to see.

I've read the Deloitte report it really shows how much smaller our overall turnover is than Uniteds. I think it divides income into gates, tv income and commercial income as well players wages.

I think the link is in the thread Bav mentioned.

Just tried to google it to see if I can find the report but apparantly it's £600 to buy to the public or £60 to students.

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt....00.html

:p
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:55 pm

end of the day the Mancs have more money than us and can afford to throw a shed load of cash into whatever position they please. We're just about getting to that point now (AFTER 5 YEARS, but now we haven't got any cash). Fergie's been at his club since the dinosaurs died so it's hardly fair to compare them when the circumstances couldnt be more different. If someone wants to tell me that we could have risked £35m on Nani and Anderson I'll laugh in your face. Judging by how they've performed lately they ain't worth half of that and wheres the criticism? oh thats right, they can just get rid and shell another £30m quid on the next big thing and offer silly money, we cant, simple as that

Man U can afford to take a little risk here and there with their spending whereas every penny Rafa spends he's expected to make no errors and get it right first time. Dread to think what some would say if it was Rafa spening £18m on Carrick then another £18m on Hargreaves
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:00 pm

The latest Deloitte review of football finance shows that gross transfer spending across the top 92 professional clubs grew to £779m in 2007/08, up 35 per cent from 2006/07/. Over 85 per cent (£664m) was spent by Premiership clubs. The majority of Premiership clubs' transfer spending continues to be with overseas clubs, £351m or 52 per cent. However, the proportion of intra Premier League transfers has increased. Chelsea became the first club to report over £80m gross transfer spending in one season. Three others - Liverpool (£70m), Manchester City (£62m) and Portsmouth (£50m)   - had gross transfer spend in excess of £50m. The net transfer movement between the Premiership and the Football League in 2007/08 was a net outflow from the Premier League of £59m, an increase of 69 per cent from £35m in 2006/07. Total transfer spending by Football League clubs has increased by 34 per cent to £115m with ten clubs recording transfer fees in excess of £5m.
account deleted by request

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:01 pm

aCe' wrote:now Bav.. about your youth thing.. i agree..

but still... we've spent way too much on squad players who didnt really improve us that much.... my point was always this..we always lacked continuity.. we had good players at different stages that we chose to sell when it was perhaps better if we had kept hold of them.... im sure many other clubs have done the same, but still...

anyways this thread isnt about that but anyways... i agree with the fact that ManUtd had something of a head start on us given all the talent they had coming through at earlier stages but lets not forget we ALSO had a good squad with some top players at the time... the fact that we couldnt build on our success whatever it was at different stages is frustrating as fck !

We had an ok squad but that cant be compared with them. I mean they went on to dominate the league for so many years.....where as we didn't win the league at all in those years. If we had that then Rafa would also be able to splash 20mil on players here and there.

I agree we have wasted a lot of money on players but that's becasue Rafa has to spread it around so obviously when you spend less on a player less established there is a good chance it may not work out.

I just hope in the next few years we start pumping out good players from the academy again like Stevie, Owen, ect....and local players too. That really is our best chance imo of challanging the others. We cannot outspend them desite what out nonsensical owner says so we should concentrate on getting in good young talent. Easier said than done anyway.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:03 pm

Greavesie wrote:end of the day the Mancs have more money than us and can afford to throw a shed load of cash into whatever position they please. We're just about getting to that point now (AFTER 5 YEARS, but now we haven't got any cash). Fergie's been at his club since the dinosaurs died so it's hardly fair to compare them when the circumstances couldnt be more different. If someone wants to tell me that we could have risked £35m on Nani and Anderson I'll laugh in your face. Judging by how they've performed lately they ain't worth half of that and wheres the criticism? oh thats right, they can just get rid and shell another £30m quid on the next big thing and offer silly money, we cant, simple as that

Man U can afford to take a little risk here and there with their spending whereas every penny Rafa spends he's expected to make no errors and get it right first time. Dread to think what some would say if it was Rafa spening £18m on Carrick then another £18m on Hargreaves

We need that new stadium so badly. As if that wasn't bad enough I don't think we have been commercially managed properly either in the least x years. But that point looks like it is being addressed at last.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:06 pm

bavlondon wrote:We cannot outspend them desite what out nonsensical owner says so we should concentrate on getting in good young talent. Easier said than done anyway.

It was Rafa that said it mate, not our owners   :D

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 pm

Man U squad 2004-2005 - Brown, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Giggs, Heinze, Howard, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes, Smith, Silverstre, Pique, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Smith, Rossi

Liverpool squad 2004-2005 - Xabi, Baros, Carra, Diao, Dudek, Finnan, Gerrard, Didi, Kewell, Hyypia, Lil Luis, Riise, Traore, Sinama-Pongo, Mellor, Cisse

Not the full squads but you get the gist right? :D 

Dunno about the Mancs but we lost Owen and Rafa bought Luis and Xabi and Cisse was a Gerard masterstroke :D

you can see eight of the names in the scums squad are still there now, our squad then was significantly worse than theirs

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:12 pm

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:We cannot outspend them desite what out nonsensical owner says so we should concentrate on getting in good young talent. Easier said than done anyway.

Really? I am sure it was someone else from the club, someone close to Hicks wasnt it? Rafa would never say something like that. Or are you winding me up? I can't tell.  :laugh:

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Greavesie wrote:Man U squad 2004-2005 - Brown, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Giggs, Heinze, Howard, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes, Smith, Silverstre, Pique, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Smith, Rossi

Liverpool squad 2004-2005 - Xabi, Baros, Carra, Diao, Dudek, Finnan, Gerrard, Didi, Kewell, Hyypia, Lil Luis, Riise, Traore, Sinama-Pongo, Mellor, Cisse

Dunno about the Mancs but we lost Owen and Rafa bought Luis and Xabi and Cisse was a Gerard masterstroke :D

you can see eight of the names in the scums squad are still there now, our squad then was significantly worse than theirs

Good point. Just goes to show the size of the job Rafa is involved in. How would you all have felt if Rafa came in and only signed 1 or 2 players? I doubt we would be where we are now if he had done that.

Now you look at our squad you can see players you know will be there for years: Reina, Gerrard, Insua, Masch, Xabi, Torres, Agger and Skrtel. Ok I know there is transfer speculation with a few of those but still Rafa is building and solid squad but he needs time.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Greavesie wrote:Man U squad 2004-2005 - Brown, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Giggs, Heinze, Howard, Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo, Saha, Scholes, Smith, Silverstre, Pique, O'Shea, Djemba-Djemba, Smith, Rossi

Man utd squad 2004/5 - WON NOTHING

Liverpool squad 2004/5 - WON CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:17 pm

s@int wrote:

:buttrock

dont you forget it!

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:21 pm

s@int wrote:

If that squad Rafa inherited was so good then why did we only finish 4th by the skin of our teeth in that final season for GH? You are looking at what other teams achieved as a benchmark for us. That is not a good way to look at it as there could be other external factors which had an effect. In this case it was Chelsea going on the biggest shopping spree in recent times...

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:22 pm

bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:

Really? I am sure it was someone else from the club, someone close to Hicks wasnt it? Rafa would never say something like that. Or are you winding me up? I can't tell.  :laugh:

Yes, sorry Bav :-

We can outspend United, claim Liverpool
Despite their recently published levels of debts, the Merseyside club say that only Chelsea have more cash to splash  LIVERPOOL have reacted bullishly to claims that they are on the point of financial meltdown by insisting they expect to be able to outspend both Manchester United and Arsenal in the transfer market this summer.

A senior Liverpool source  told The Sunday Times last night: “We have more spare cash to spend than any club except Chelsea.”

Postby Greavesie » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:24 pm

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:

Despite their recently published levels of debts, the Merseyside club say that only Chelsea have more cash to splash  LIVERPOOL have reacted bullishly to claims that they are on the point of financial meltdown by insisting they expect to be able to outspend both Manchester United and Arsenal in the transfer market this summer.

A senior Liverpool source  told The Sunday Times last night: “We have more spare cash to spend than any club except Chelsea....and City”

fixed  :)

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:27 pm

s@int wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
s@int wrote:

A senior Liverpool source  told The Sunday Times last night: “We have more spare cash to spend than any club except Chelsea.”

Rafa should take that quote to Hicks and say ok just get me David Silva please. Thanks.

But then that will just send some people in this thread into overdrive.  :p

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion