JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 pm

devaney » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:11 am wrote:I've never been a massive fan of Hendo. He was absolute garbage for a long time after he arrived.Yes he did improve but it was from a very low base. He had a great season when we nearly won the league and his sending off against City was one of the key reasons IMO that we didn't win the title. He has to accept that he is Henderson and not Gerrard. Lets face it he has taken over from a legend and that was never going to be easy. I have said before that I don't think he is clever enough to do the job. I would like him to prove me wrong because his attitude is excellent. If he doesn't play is he really missed? Will he grow into his new elevated position? Perhaps he needs more time. Maybe another season will provide more answers. To be fair to the lad he didn't take the job on at the easiest of times !! Has the club got time to take the risk that he will eventually become a great captain? Personally I don't think so but I'm not sure who is good enough to do the job. Sakho if he played every week the way he played against United would be a candidate. Hendo got the job simply because there were no other reasonable candidates at the time and because he wanted it. IT HAS TO BE REMEMBERED THAT NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A LEADER. It says a lot when a player who comes to us on a free is immediately installed as vice captain.

Would Hendo be a better player with the responsibility of captain lifted from his shoulders?

The voice of reason!
Nobody likes slagging LFC players off but some people are just terrified of being honest. Henderson is slightly above average, but he has proven, especially in his last 4 or 5 games, that he is no leader and has no bottle whatsoever in front of goal. Only someone with serious, debilitating confidence issues would be side footing golden chances in front of goal. If he put his foot through the ball and missed I would have more respect for him. Its obviously too much of a burden and he should be stripped of the captaincy as soon as possible
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby C-R » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Thommo's perm » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:15 pm wrote:
devaney » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:11 am wrote:I've never been a massive fan of Hendo. He was absolute garbage for a long time after he arrived.Yes he did improve but it was from a very low base. He had a great season when we nearly won the league and his sending off against City was one of the key reasons IMO that we didn't win the title. He has to accept that he is Henderson and not Gerrard. Lets face it he has taken over from a legend and that was never going to be easy. I have said before that I don't think he is clever enough to do the job. I would like him to prove me wrong because his attitude is excellent. If he doesn't play is he really missed? Will he grow into his new elevated position? Perhaps he needs more time. Maybe another season will provide more answers. To be fair to the lad he didn't take the job on at the easiest of times !! Has the club got time to take the risk that he will eventually become a great captain? Personally I don't think so but I'm not sure who is good enough to do the job. Sakho if he played every week the way he played against United would be a candidate. Hendo got the job simply because there were no other reasonable candidates at the time and because he wanted it. IT HAS TO BE REMEMBERED THAT NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A LEADER. It says a lot when a player who comes to us on a free is immediately installed as vice captain.

Would Hendo be a better player with the responsibility of captain lifted from his shoulders?

The voice of reason!
Nobody likes slagging LFC players off but some people are just terrified of being honest. Henderson is slightly above average, but he has proven, especially in his last 4 or 5 games, that he is no leader and has no bottle whatsoever in front of goal. Only someone with serious, debilitating confidence issues would be side footing golden chances in front of goal. If he put his foot through the ball and missed I would have more respect for him. Its obviously too much of a burden and he should be stripped of the captaincy as soon as possible
:nod

I agree with all of this in particular "If he put his foot through the ball and missed I would have more respect for him. Its obviously too much of a burden and he should be stripped of the captaincy as soon as possible"  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Quite a few rumours today that Klopp might move him on in the summer. Might be best for all concerned rather than stripping him of the captaincy and relegating him to a squad rotation player.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm wrote:Quite a few rumours today that Klopp might move him on in the summer. Might be best for all concerned rather than stripping him of the captaincy and relegating him to a squad rotation player.

The Captain may well have to bite the bullet. And the manager will send out a clear message to the rest of the squad that NO ONE is safe.
That said, I like Hendo as a player.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:27 pm

johnbarnes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:25 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:38 pm wrote:Quite a few rumours today that Klopp might move him on in the summer. Might be best for all concerned rather than stripping him of the captaincy and relegating him to a squad rotation player.

The Captain may well have to bite the bullet. And the manager will send out a clear message to the rest of the squad that NO ONE is safe.
That said, I like Hendo as a player.

Yuuuuup, Flanno captain today and Hendo on bench

I love Flanno, but how must players like Sakho be feeling to be overlooked ?
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm

Not stepping up for a peno in capital one cup final was a very bad decision by Henderson, hes an ordinary player who has manufatured a career at Liverpool out of pure effort and more importantly being a trusted, reliable figure.

Once he bottled the pen his best asset, dare i say character, falls away, and he has no value left to the football club.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:53 am

7_Kewell » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:38 pm wrote:Quite a few rumours today that Klopp might move him on in the summer. Might be best for all concerned rather than stripping him of the captaincy and relegating him to a squad rotation player.

Why not we do a straight sawp...Erikson for Hendo?  :eyebrow

That being said, if we can recoup the £20M or £25M for Hendo, I'll say let's move him and bring someone of a higher calibre
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:51 pm

Got to say that I thought we would be lucky to recoup £20 the way he played for the first 18 months after joining the club. Still not totally convinced that he is as good as some people think. If Spurs want him I'd bite their hand off.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:19 pm

I thought he may have kept Hendo as a squad player (for cup games etc) but maybe Hendo wants first team football.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:40 pm

It's best that we'd move him on. I thought that maybe no one would want him on those silly wages plus why would Hendo want to leave for a lesser team than us in the first place (I thought none of the top 6 clubs that are above us would want Henderson), but if Spurs are really interested then it's a win-win situation for all parties. If we can get some 20m from him it would be a great deal.

The midfield needs strengthening and Hendo is probably the weakest link in there. We move him on, we get a high profile midfielder like Xhaka or Gundogan to partner Can and we're set.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:56 am

He hasn't nearly reached the level I hoped he'd be at after this long with the club. Not sure about selling him, there's more pressing issues than Hendo if you ask me and I wouldn't like to see too much change in the summer leading to a team of strangers (you only have to look at Man U to see how too much change can affect a side). If we're guaranteed to get an upgrade to take his place then go for it, only on that premise

We've also got Grujic coming in in the summer, and I've no idea what to expect from him
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby kazza » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:07 pm

The good season he had when we came 2nd his dad was sick with cancer and it seemed to motivate him. I think he played above himself that year. Also what Ferguson said about him being potentially injury prone seems to be coming true as he has been suffering this year with a recurring injury ( his heal I think). I like his attitude but I think he is a little over hyped due to being English and I am not sure he is captain material even though he will probably end up as England captain one day. I once saw him and Lucas do fairground games and where Lucas was trying to win every game, Hendo seemed mild mannered and unbothered he was losing. Not sure he is a winner.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:38 pm

First decent corner and england score, so well done for that.
See the old "side foot shot" was back again last night, even Alli was at it!
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:43 am

Raised this in the match thread, but thought I'd post it here too...

Can someone tell me what Jordan Henderson is actually good at? I mean, bar running around and playing the odd non-threatening pace, what does he actually do for the team? I watched him against Spurs with a few mates in the pub and someone raised the question "what does Henderson excel at"....I had no answer.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:51 am

7_Kewell » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:43 am wrote:Raised this in the match thread, but thought I'd post it here too...

Can someone tell me what Jordan Henderson is actually good at? I mean, bar running around and playing the odd non-threatening pace, what does he actually do for the team? I watched him against Spurs with a few mates in the pub and someone raised the question "what does Henderson excel at"....I had no answer.

I replied to you on the match day thread, although it was a joking response

A more accurate response is sod all tbvh!! The season we "nearly" won the league he was excellent and one of the first names on the team sheet, then when he got himself red carded (with the Chelsea match coming up) I thought was a pivotal moment for us, I still honestly feel with the form he was in then, we would not have lost that match if he was on the field

It is quite clear to see he is not anywhere near the same player he was then, injury has probably played a massive part in it as well, perhaps old whiskey nose was right when he said about Hendo's running style ?

If someone offered 20 million + for him I would take the money and move on, I think we have seen and had the best of him, the only way is down for him here imo

I know opinion will be massively divided on Hendo, but thats how I feel and unless he miraculously turns into superman for the last games of the season (which ain't gonna happen), I am sticking by my opinion
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion