JORDAN HENDERSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:02 am

Is that the standard our captain has to achieve, "Decent"? The lad is a shi'thouse and either has to grow a pair or fu'ck off.
We need players with passion, grit and determination and if he wants to be a leader of men he should shut up and man up.
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:56 am

We're going round in circles: Hendo is a 'B' standard player and a 'C' standard leader. He isn't SG who was A and B (at best) and he isn't going to become one, end of. Souness was A + A, Kenny was A + A, they had different talent sets, asking Hendo to up his game and his leadership is simply too great an ask. He's an interim captain until we find the right player.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:20 am

Him and Can bossed the game against Utd to the extent we had 70% possession the first half. They were a goal down and took off a forward for a holding midfielder to try and get something from our midfield. For me, we simply dont have a better alternative atm. I'd take Hendo (who has been poor all season bar a few games here and there) ahead of Lucas, Allen, Milner, and all the youngsters. Can is fast becoming the best CM at the club and if we're getting rid of one of the few CMs we have, I'd rather see Lucas, Milner, Allen leave before Hendo.

Bring a starter and have Henderson try to win back his spot next season.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:25 am

There were periods some time back when he was unplayable. But I agree his form now has dipped tremendously. Question is was his past brilliant form the norm, but now he's just playing below his usual level? Or the other way around? In any case, looking at the quality of defensive/central midfielders we have at the moment, I don't think we have the luxury of dropping Hendo. There's only 10-odd games to play before the season ends, that should be enough time for JK to assess whether Hendo is truly worth the space and armband. If not, then we can see someone else stepping up. But Can, while showing moments of naivety, is showing the level of passion, aggression and energy these days that we would expect out of Hendo. Just hope Hendo can use that to perk himself up to those levels again
alxy

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 pm

alxy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 am wrote:There were periods some time back when he was unplayable. But I agree his form now has dipped tremendously. Question is was his past brilliant form the norm, but now he's just playing below his usual level?

:wwww

Mate I'm all for praising our players when they do well BUT when has Henderson EVER been unplayable or shown "brilliant" form.

He's been good, sometimes very good but most of the time since joining us he's been just  average.

A decent squad player, nothing more.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Give us another Captain and the chance for Henderson to raise his game 'significantly' ,and if relieving the pressure he's under doesn't see his game return then its evident we can ill afford to keep him. He's not a Captain and he knows it , I think the lads game is suffering greatly from the weight of the arm band. I mean just hand it to someone who has the personality and passion to carry it.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:18 am

woof woof ! » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:42 am wrote:
alxy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:25 am wrote:There were periods some time back when he was unplayable. But I agree his form now has dipped tremendously. Question is was his past brilliant form the norm, but now he's just playing below his usual level?

:wwww

Mate I'm all for praising our players when they do well BUT when has Henderson EVER been unplayable or shown "brilliant" form.

He's been good, sometimes very good but most of the time since joining us he's been just  average.

A decent squad player, nothing more.

That game with Spurs springs to mind...but that was oh so long ago when just about everyone was playing well too
alxy

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:36 pm

He's not a bad player, but with Can in the squad I think we have someone (much younger) who is already at his level. I'd happily move him on for £25m in the summer.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:37 pm

He was brilliant the season we finished 2nd and last season he was pretty good also. This year he's just kinda been there without doing much. I don't think he's a defensive midfielder but that's now become his permanent position with players like Coutinho, Firminio and even Milner ahead of him in the attacking positions. It's not the fact he's getting worse, its the fact he's not progressing.. and his place is under real threat next year if Klopp decides to bring in some quality DM's.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Missed another gilt edged chance which was actually the worst sitter I have seen in many a year.
A squad player at best, but if you want a captain who is a natural follower and a 100% sh'ithouse then hes your man
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:22 pm

He has not looked the same player since that heel injury. A bit of a worry. That in my opinion is more of the problem than the captaincy draining him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Then rest him and give the captaincy to someone else?
Thommo's perm

Postby JC_81 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Not sure stripping someone of the captaincy mid season at a point where we seem to be building momentum is a smart move.

But I would drop him. And I would change the captain for next season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:45 pm

Fair point, but I am impatient with mediocrity posing as class. I dont dislike him, he is just an average player with numerous limitations.
But he is definitely not captain of LFC material
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby devaney » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:11 am

I've never been a massive fan of Hendo. He was absolute garbage for a long time after he arrived.Yes he did improve but it was from a very low base. He had a great season when we nearly won the league and his sending off against City was one of the key reasons IMO that we didn't win the title. He has to accept that he is Henderson and not Gerrard. Lets face it he has taken over from a legend and that was never going to be easy. I have said before that I don't think he is clever enough to do the job. I would like him to prove me wrong because his attitude is excellent. If he doesn't play is he really missed? Will he grow into his new elevated position? Perhaps he needs more time. Maybe another season will provide more answers. To be fair to the lad he didn't take the job on at the easiest of times !! Has the club got time to take the risk that he will eventually become a great captain? Personally I don't think so but I'm not sure who is good enough to do the job. Sakho if he played every week the way he played against United would be a candidate. Hendo got the job simply because there were no other reasonable candidates at the time and because he wanted it. IT HAS TO BE REMEMBERED THAT NOT EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A LEADER. It says a lot when a player who comes to us on a free is immediately installed as vice captain.

Would Hendo be a better player with the responsibility of captain lifted from his shoulders?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext