John arne riise - Brilliant interview on lfctv now

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby dundreamin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

This is on now. Will be repeated. Just realised what a great fella he his. And he contributed such a lot for LFC. Blotted his copybook with that Og v cheatski.we could of done the mange in Moscow if that hadn't happend. But never mind. Watch if possible and enjoy
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:27 pm

dundreamin wrote:This is on now. Will be repeated. Just realised what a great fella he his. And he contributed such a lot for LFC. Blotted his copybook with that Og v cheatski.we could of done the mange in Moscow if that hadn't happend. But never mind. Watch if possible and enjoy

He was a disaster waiting to happen at left back and should never have been played there
I wonder who did that...?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby neil » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:35 am

i see what you did there :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:02 am

Thommo's perm wrote:
dundreamin wrote:This is on now. Will be repeated. Just realised what a great fella he his. And he contributed such a lot for LFC. Blotted his copybook with that Og v cheatski.we could of done the mange in Moscow if that hadn't happend. But never mind. Watch if possible and enjoy

He was a disaster waiting to happen at left back and should never have been played there
???

That's abit harsh... I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not... But considering the number of years he played for us and the amount of mistakes he did, he definitely wasn't 'an accident' waiting to happen.

Besides he gave us alot of memorable goals... The rocket against the mancs, the running most of the length of the field and scoring goal against Chelsea in the charity shield, and several first time volley beauties... He got sold too early IMO
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 am

Great interview, you can tell he's honest when he says he never wanted to leave.  Got in a nice little pop at Dossena and Konchesky being his replacements.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby shanks » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:43 am

maguskwt wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:

???

That's abit harsh... I don't know whether you're being sarcastic or not... But considering the number of years he played for us and the amount of mistakes he did, he definitely wasn't 'an accident' waiting to happen.

Besides he gave us alot of memorable goals... The rocket against the mancs, the running most of the length of the field and scoring goal against Chelsea in the charity shield, and several first time volley beauties... He got sold too early IMO

i was a bit surprised when he was sold when he was i thought he add at least 2 more seasons left in him
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:35 am

Riise was always a solid and reliable full back and left midfielder, he was decent defensively and good going forward. However, in his last 2 seasons  at Liverpool he became stale, suffered a dip in form and made mistakes (own goal against Chelsea in CL semi). I can see why Benitez sold him.

But his replacements are another matter.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:11 am

metalhead wrote:Riise was always a solid and reliable full back and left midfielder, he was decent defensively and good going forward. However, in his last 2 seasons  at Liverpool he became stale, suffered a dip in form and made mistakes (own goal against Chelsea in CL semi). I can see why Benitez sold him.

But his replacements are another matter.

sums it up really.
roberto green

Postby Kenny Kan » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am

Riise was hardly ever injured, he was a pretty consistent performer who was bombed out by Rafa after the Chelsea OG. He was a decent LB and we haven't replaced him since when.... Dossena what a signing that was arguably a worse signing than the hapless Konchesky.

I've time for Riise as a player and a person, briefly met him in Bangkok and got his autograph.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:28 am

maguskwt wrote:
Thommo's perm wrote:

???

You are actually making my case stronger.
Riise was a great left sided midfield attacking player scoring fantastic goals. As you have pointed out
He definitely wasnt a left back and was a disaster, in that position, waiting to happen. As I pointed out
Thommo's perm

Postby metalhead » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:38 am

He was never a disaster waiting to happen at left back, he was solid, dependable and never looked out of place in our back four, he was also part of our defence that kept the most clean sheets and conceded the least goals back in 2005/2006 season.

Good player and never replaced properly since
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 am

Very sad that the he feels so guilty bout the own goal, I think we've all forgiven him for that by now.  Far better player than Insua, Dosenna or Konchesky.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:47 am

he was left back for years wasn't he?

There was talk of selling him long before 'that' OG, that just sealed it.

All the best to him tho and hope he does well upon his return to England, look forward to seeing him at Anfield :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:43 am

Riise got sold because Rafa thought that Aurelio was the better choice, and at the time that wasn't far from the truth. But either way, it was a mistake to sell Riise, there was still room for him in the club and we could have kept him at least as a sub.

Anyway, I wish him all the best in his new club and would like to welcome him back in the prem. I really can't wait for us to play against Fulham at home and see the applause he'll get from the fans, like with Finnan 2 seasons ago when we played against Portsmouth, that was one of my favourite moments of that season.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:47 pm

metalhead wrote:He was never a disaster waiting to happen at left back, he was solid, dependable and never looked out of place in our back four, he was also part of our defence that kept the most clean sheets and conceded the least goals back in 2005/2006 season.

Good player and never replaced properly since

To me he was and it was proven with that goal.
He always looked to lack confidence at LB and was caught out quite a few times to my recollection.
A very good player at LM and should not have been played out of position and put at LB in my opinion. But that was the norm at that time.
He was done in mentally after conceding that goal and the only choice he had was to go to pastures new.
A shame for one of our better and more likeable players
Thommo's perm

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion