John arne riise - New deal

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby H_K_LFC » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Great news...best left-sided player we have
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:20 pm

I prefer Riise left midfield than left back. But with Kewell in hot form he's very handy to have in the squad as he covers both positions.
Unbelieveable stamina too.
Good to see Rafa saying his attitude is first class - high praise indeed.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:30 pm

Really pleased to hear this - he's still well ahead of Warnock in the pecking order for me. :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:40 pm

Riise is first choice but Warnock can be a good player in a couple of seasons i think. To be fair to Warnock he provides good width, uses the ball well and whips in a great cross.

On the downside he's not to clever positionally, he gets left out wide to much and sucked in to much at the moment. He's definately got the potential to be a good player though. He's aggressive to, never holds back from a tackle which is something i admire.

The thing with Stevey Warnock is, he'll improve. Traore hasn't in 7 years. Well thats harsh, he's improved immensely, but he's still shocking. If Warnock makes the same improvements he'll be the worlds best! :laugh:
115-1073096938

Postby redmikey » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Im shocked rafa has kept traore  warnock is the future, he just needs to be more confident he has got all the attributes but seems scared on the ball sometimes. I saw him play for coventry and i know it is a lower league but he was beating people for fun and he was positive with his passing. He seems to be playing the percentage pass if you know what i mean he would rather pass it back to sami and not do anything wrong when he has i chance to spread the ball or knock it up to the new winger harry kewell.
do you think rafa will keep faith or sell traroe and bring in someone?
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:53 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Riise is first choice but Warnock can be a good player in a couple of seasons i think. To be fair to Warnock he provides good width, uses the ball well and whips in a great cross.

On the downside he's not to clever positionally, he gets left out wide to much and sucked in to much at the moment. He's definately got the potential to be a good player though. He's aggressive to, never holds back from a tackle which is something i admire.

The thing with Stevey Warnock is, he'll improve. Traore hasn't in 7 years. Well thats harsh, he's improved immensely, but he's still shocking. If Warnock makes the same improvements he'll be the worlds best! :laugh:

Disagree with you there. Yes sometimes Stevie Warnock makes runs and is an ok tackler with potential but he is no nor will he be a Riise. Jon is probabaly one of the few players in the premiership that can hit the ball on the volley like he can. I can see Warnock perhaps becoming a solid defender but Riise has always been able to play parts in swift counter attcking due to his great ball control and strengh.Hes pretty fast to.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NCRedFan7 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:54 pm

I'd prefer if we sold Traore and got new corner flags in the trade.

He's absolute rubbish.

-N
NCRedFan7

Postby tubby » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:01 pm

Yes hes very inconsistent although the lefts not so much a problem right now as we alreay have good players there like Riise and Warnock. Now that the Finnan has backup with Kromkamp and we have Agger for the centre i think once the RM is sorted we may see a new LB come in.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:41 pm

This is fantastic. Part of being a successful club, is keeping top players in the home dressing room. Riise is a tip top player who often gets overlooked by fans and critics, but for me, he's one of the best left sided players in the world, and that ain't just blowing smoke. He's got good tackling skills, always knows where he is and where he should be and has one of the fiercest strikes in the premiership. He's strong, fast and sensible. Top player. Great news! :)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:54 pm

I prefer Riise left midfield than left back. But with Kewell in hot form he's very handy to have in the squad as he covers both positions.

Precisely because his stamina is unusually high (and I've seen a number of players) you get the best of Riise in the left back. He's defensively good, and can Help Kewell or Gonzalez in the future with no problems, as he can come back quickly (due to stamina) repeteadly. Kewell has the dribbling Riise hasn't, so if we have Riise in the left back, we have the best part of Riise, plus what Kewell provides.

I have seen many important Riise interventions offensively from the left back, while I haven't seen problems defensively in that wing, so I value a lot that player, he's very important.

My point is (with my english you might be messed) is that playing Riise in the LB, won't leave the team without his decent crosses, and those runs at min 78 when the rivals are tired. And Having a Kewell like player provides something more to the team, more options. Besides, in the other side we have a right midfielder not a winger, so I think it's necessary to count at least with a true winger in the team.

One last thought about wingers and right midfielders. This is product of my particular point of view of what I see in Anoeta, might be perfectly wrong. It seems to me that there are fashions in football. And I think that there is the fashion of not having 2 pure wingers. Simply it seemed to me that some years ago it was in fashion to have in the wings people who crossed and dribbled. Now the fashion seems to be to have some sort of balance. Many teams play one winger on one side, and a midfielder in the other side. I think in Liverpool MIGHT happen this a bit, but perhaps I'm wrong. When LG played in the right, in the other side you had riise as midfielder, as he's stronger defending than Kewell. When it's Kewell who's playing , it's gerrard who is at the other side to give the defensive balance. I think we haven't seen and we won't see a game with Kewell AND Luis Garcia. But am I wrong? correct me if so.

Cheers!
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:25 am

Sabre wrote:

Precisely because his stamina is unusually high (and I've seen a number of players) you get the best of Riise in the left back. He's defensively good, and can Help Kewell or Gonzalez in the future with no problems, as he can come back quickly (due to stamina) repeteadly. Kewell has the dribbling Riise hasn't, so if we have Riise in the left back, we have the best part of Riise, plus what Kewell provides.

I have seen many important Riise interventions offensively from the left back, while I haven't seen problems defensively in that wing, so I value a lot that player, he's very important.

My point is (with my english you might be messed) is that playing Riise in the LB, won't leave the team without his decent crosses, and those runs at min 78 when the rivals are tired. And Having a Kewell like player provides something more to the team, more options. Besides, in the other side we have a right midfielder not a winger, so I think it's necessary to count at least with a true winger in the team.

One last thought about wingers and right midfielders. This is product of my particular point of view of what I see in Anoeta, might be perfectly wrong. It seems to me that there are fashions in football. And I think that there is the fashion of not having 2 pure wingers. Simply it seemed to me that some years ago it was in fashion to have in the wings people who crossed and dribbled. Now the fashion seems to be to have some sort of balance. Many teams play one winger on one side, and a midfielder in the other side. I think in Liverpool MIGHT happen this a bit, but perhaps I'm wrong. When LG played in the right, in the other side you had riise as midfielder, as he's stronger defending than Kewell. When it's Kewell who's playing , it's gerrard who is at the other side to give the defensive balance. I think we haven't seen and we won't see a game with Kewell AND Luis Garcia. But am I wrong? correct me if so.

Cheers!

Sabre,

I see what you're saying. But I think it's gotr more to do with accomodating Sissoko in the middel to battle with the opposition.
I didn't see much of Valencia a few years ago, but did Rafa play with 2 attacking wingers or one attacking and one more "defensive"?
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:35 am

That's a good question Effes. I have not digital memory so I took a look of the whole squad, because actually it was quite deep

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundo....es.html

Problem is that many of them played. BTW, Pellegrino was the indiscussable boss of the centrebacks, what an irony :D . To be honest, I think he played that schema too, but I don't remember the line ups, as you could imagine as he rotated it. But I do remember playing Vicente in the left, and Rufete, a much more destructive right midfielder in the right. You can see descriptions there.

Ah, what a piece of players in that squad. Angloma was excellent. So is Carboni, most aged player in the liga, and still kicking asses. I don't know Effes, just was a thought, it might come Stu or A.B. 3 minutes later to say that I'm wrong, which is the fun part of posting! to disagree a bit. :laugh:
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:39 am

bavlondon wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Riise is first choice but Warnock can be a good player in a couple of seasons i think. To be fair to Warnock he provides good width, uses the ball well and whips in a great cross.

Disagree with you there. Yes sometimes Stevie Warnock makes runs and is an ok tackler with potential but he is no nor will he be a Riise. Jon is probabaly one of the few players in the premiership that can hit the ball on the volley like he can. I can see Warnock perhaps becoming a solid defender but Riise has always been able to play parts in swift counter attcking due to his great ball control and strengh.Hes pretty fast to.

Riise doesn't provide width like Warnock does. Warnock is a far better crosser and is better at going outside his man and delivering a cross. His passing is also more intelligent than Riise's.
115-1073096938

Postby Effes » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:43 am

Sabre wrote:That's a good question Effes. I have not digital memory so I took a look of the whole squad, because actually it was quite deep

http://elmundodeporte.elmundo.es/elmundo....es.html

Problem is that many of them played. BTW, Pellegrino was the indiscussable boss of the centrebacks, what an irony :D . To be honest, I think he played that schema too, but I don't remember the line ups, as you could imagine as he rotated it. But I do remember playing Vicente in the left, and Rufete, a much more destructive right midfielder in the right. You can see descriptions there.

Ah, what a piece of players in that squad. Angloma was excellent. So is Carboni, most aged player in the liga, and still kicking asses. I don't know Effes, just was a thought, it might come Stu or A.B. 3 minutes later to say that I'm wrong, which is the fun part of posting! to disagree a bit. :laugh:

:laugh:
Just got a PM off Stupid Red - ooh, how honoured.

I wonder whther Rafa is playing a different tactical game than when he was at Valencia.
He's like a chess player. Depending on the opposition.
Thanks for the link Sabre.
:buttrock
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:46 am

Just got a PM off Stupid Red - ooh, how honoured.

Did he say if my post was cráp at all? :D why do you call him stupid? he just is like that old man that has bad humour but you can't help liking him!
Last edited by Sabre on Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion