John arne riise

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:29 am

I've been very critical over the last few seasons of Riise. Last season i thought he was poor to start off with then when he came back into the side he looked a bit better. The season before i thought he was shocking. In his first season he looked a good attacking full back with great energy and drive but average defensively.

I think He's massively improved the defensive side of his game and that was starting to show last season. He's now become a solid left back and added a bit more aggression to his game.

For me this season he seems to be combining the attacking and defensive side much better and he's starting to look the quality left back we all know he can be.

With himself and Hyypia at the back we have two top quality players. We still need a quality centre half but i think once we have that, our defence will be immense. :)
115-1073096938

Postby spiralstairs00 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:33 am

I disagree we're a little thin at the back & Riise needs to improve in all areas. Undoubtedly a fine player, but a inconsistant one at best.
spiralstairs00

Postby Gunnar Vals » Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:46 am

Riise scored so many goals his first season here. I hope he will do the same this season, but I doubt.
Gunnar Vals

Postby laza » Sat Sep 04, 2004 9:03 am

He certainly one player who seems to have benefitted from the change of a manager. With a midfield that will hopefully get more goals this season  im not that worried about his scoring too many as long as his keeps his  defensive work up.
Certainly agree we need another quality CD to really bolster the defence
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:41 am

I disagree we're a little thin at the back & Riise needs to improve in all areas. Undoubtedly a fine player, but a inconsistant one at best.

He's been one of our best two players in every game this season and pre-season, is that not consistent? He is very good defensively and can attack aswell.

He's starting to keep his composure more and looking to pass the ball instead of hoofing it and he's looking a far better player for it. He's our most improved player so far and i think as the season goes on he'll keep improving.

Can i ask, how many games have you been to so far this season?
115-1073096938

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:53 pm

Risse and in the whole back four have all been excellent so far. Personally i think carraghers playing well with sammi, and Josemi looked a great buy so far.

But of the whole defence i agree that Risse has been the most improved, he has looked calm and assured in every game and has been attacking the left flank nicely.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:53 pm

I hate to do it twice in one season, but I agree with you Stu. (No comments JBG).

Riise has looked the most improved player from last year, he is solid and likes to bomb forward, a few goals from the left back is always nice too. (Barnie Rubble).

I think he could do with playing with someone consistently on the left, remember him and Vignal when he first came, great understanding and covered each other very well.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:48 pm

Riise had to improve from last season, because let's face it he was awful last term. I fear he has reached his limit, short on pace and short on ideas. A good supporting act but not for the main show !! :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:58 pm

Riise is an excellent defencive player, he has looked solid so far.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby adayinthelife » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:21 am

A.B. wrote:Riise is an excellent defencive player, he has looked solid so far.

I have to disagree as if you look at the goals we conceded against spurs and bolton Riise turned his back on the shot both times.

He is at his best going forward and that was stifled under houllier as in his 1st season looked like the best left back at Liverpool in years.

His confidence was shot when dropped for that stick traore but hopefully Benitez can instill that confidence back into him.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:34 am

Riise is as solid as a Malteeser.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:17 am

REdrider

As Arnie would say "I'll be back" :D
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby kazza » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:15 pm

As long as we remember that his first priority is defending. Anything else is a bonus. He must improve defensivly and improve his passing which he is doing. Still has a long way to go. He must get egged on to push forward everytime he hears his song. Maybe we should change the words a little bit:

" John Arne Riise, I want to know-ho
  how you STOPPED THAT GOAL"
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kindaconfuzed » Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:53 pm

hey Bazza

Yep yer right we seem to have forgotten that little bit of detail ???
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby RobG14 » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:21 pm

I totally disagree you cannot turn bad players into good players as is the case with riise. This joker will never be a quality player, he plays launch balls and cannot defend. Okay he seems to have improved over the past few games but who have we played?? no ones!!
RobG14

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion