Joel Matip Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:44 pm

Now we've brought in a new CB a new keeper should be next on our list, I know one or two disagree but I honestly believe that having a calming influence at the back would improve us immeasurably. It's got to the stage now with Mingolet that even when he's having a decent game everyone is still expecting him to drop a clanger and the fact that we are still talking about the same issue's 3 years in says everything.
We need someone between the sticks who wins us points not costs us them.
I know he makes some great saves but all keepers do, I watched the Boro keeper last night on the telly make an unbelievable save against Leeds.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:51 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:44 am wrote:Now we've brought in a new CB a new keeper should be next on our list, I know one or two disagree but I honestly believe that having a calming influence at the back would improve us immeasurably. It's got to the stage now with Mingolet that even when he's having a decent game everyone is still expecting him to drop a clanger and the fact that we are still talking about the same issue's 3 years in says everything.
I know he makes some great saves but all keepers do, I watched the Boro keeper last night on the telly make an unbelievable save against Leeds.

:nod
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:57 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:44 am wrote:Now we've brought in a new CB a new keeper should be next on our list, I know one or two disagree but I honestly believe that having a calming influence at the back would improve us immeasurably. It's got to the stage now with Mingolet that even when he's having a decent game everyone is still expecting him to drop a clanger and the fact that we are still talking about the same issue's 3 years in says everything.

Kasper Schmeichel is worth how many points to Leicester this year? I don't know, but a lot.

Every time I watch De Gea play, I think if united had anybody other than maybe him or Schmeichel, they'd be bottom half of the table. He completely kept them in the game against Sunderland and they still lost.

Getting a keeper who can consistently save you points is becoming more and more rare, and so more and more valuable. Bogdan clearly isn't the answer for us, so we should be looking come this summer.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 pm

ethanr » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:57 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:44 am wrote:Now we've brought in a new CB a new keeper should be next on our list, I know one or two disagree but I honestly believe that having a calming influence at the back would improve us immeasurably. It's got to the stage now with Mingolet that even when he's having a decent game everyone is still expecting him to drop a clanger and the fact that we are still talking about the same issue's 3 years in says everything.

Kasper Schmeichel is worth how many points to Leicester this year? I don't know, but a lot.

Every time I watch De Gea play, I think if united had anybody other than maybe him or Schmeichel, they'd be bottom half of the table. He completely kept them in the game against Sunderland and they still lost.

Getting a keeper who can consistently save you points is becoming more and more rare, and so more and more valuable. Bogdan clearly isn't the answer for us, so we should be looking come this summer.

Yeah De Gea is the ultimate example really mate, he makes Uniteds back 4 look better than they really are, the likes of Smalling gets plenty of praise but De Gea probably saves 2 or 3 one on ones every game.
I'd say United's defence gifts the opposition twice as many clear cut chances as ours but because of the keepers our back 4 is labelled dodgy and theirs rock solid.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:32 am

Klopp just said that matip has saved LFC millions and that he is a quality defender that only the top 4 in Bundesliga could afford. I hope so!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:19 am

Well, you can't go wrong when he's on a free! Though i get the feeling that money isn't the factor when it comes to Klopp. According to JK, he already had his eye on Matip even when he was on his break, so to get him for free is a complete bonus. Hopefully he will add that much needed height and solidity we need when it comes to defending set pieces and corners.
alxy

Postby thesazm » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:10 pm

It wasn't really a surprise for me at all. I mean, if you were in Klopp's place, you'd do exactly the same thing. And I agree with what alyx just said. Joel's in his best form. He's tall and strong, no need to mention just from the Bundesliga. If all that came with a zero fee, why not?
thesazm
LFC newBie

Postby anthony31 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:36 am

Now that he will be part of the LFC, let's all expect the unexpected. I think he is qualified enough so I like to congratulate him already.

Great job Joel and welcome to LFC.

:buttrock
anthony31
LFC Basic Member

Postby alxy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 am

I think whether he will come good is maybe not the question, most think he will. The question is with him, we will have 5 centrebacks (6 if you count Ilori) in our squad. Assuming he starts, that leaves Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren and Kolo to fight it out for the last spot. I think Kolo staying on should be a given, as he's willing to wait on the bench for his chance. And when he does come on when needed (like these few games), he's shown he has the experience to carry us through. But I cannot see the other 3 being content to be bench warmers. I guess at least 1 will have to go. So question is: who would we want it to be? My pick would be Lovren. I don't think he's shown enough to leave him ahead of the other 2, and he's so far the more error prone of them all.

Having said that though, I would be happy if we managed to keep all of them :)
alxy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:10 am

alxy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 am wrote:I think whether he will come good is maybe not the question, most think he will. The question is with him, we will have 5 centrebacks (6 if you count Ilori) in our squad. Assuming he starts, that leaves Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren and Kolo to fight it out for the last spot. I think Kolo staying on should be a given, as he's willing to wait on the bench for his chance. And when he does come on when needed (like these few games), he's shown he has the experience to carry us through. But I cannot see the other 3 being content to be bench warmers. I guess at least 1 will have to go. So question is: who would we want it to be? My pick would be Lovren. I don't think he's shown enough to leave him ahead of the other 2, and he's so far the more error prone of them all.

Kolo's contract runs out in the summer and apparently we are not going to offer him a new one. Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if we shipped another one out either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby alxy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:41 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:10 am wrote:
alxy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:00 am wrote:I think whether he will come good is maybe not the question, most think he will. The question is with him, we will have 5 centrebacks (6 if you count Ilori) in our squad. Assuming he starts, that leaves Sakho, Skrtel, Lovren and Kolo to fight it out for the last spot. I think Kolo staying on should be a given, as he's willing to wait on the bench for his chance. And when he does come on when needed (like these few games), he's shown he has the experience to carry us through. But I cannot see the other 3 being content to be bench warmers. I guess at least 1 will have to go. So question is: who would we want it to be? My pick would be Lovren. I don't think he's shown enough to leave him ahead of the other 2, and he's so far the more error prone of them all.

Kolo's contract runs out in the summer and apparently we are not going to offer him a new one. Tbh it wouldn't surprise me if we shipped another one out either.

Yea, looks likely it will be Kolo out + another one of the 3...
alxy

Postby kazza » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:07 pm

Poor mistake against Shaktar yesterday. He had a Skyrtel/ Lovren/Sakho moment :lookaround
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:08 pm

Lets hope he leaves those mistakes in Germany. :-p
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 am

That was a bad mistake.

But Shakhtar capitalised on it well. He might have got away with it on another day.

Better get it out of your system before you come here lad!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 am

killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion