Joel Matip Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby parchpea » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:00 pm

He did alright but reserve judgement until hes played a few more games.

I can see theres a lot of love for him today from local media trying to shine some positivity on the defence but its early days, he didnt do a great deal wrong but will face much tougher tests.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kartiek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:53 am

Doeboy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:35 am wrote:
kartiek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:17 am wrote:Finally felt like we had a solid defense yesterday. Matip is quick so he can keep up with fast strikers and has good positioning sense, besides being very composed and fluid on the ball. Reminded me a bit of Agger with his forward runs. Klavan isn't the best of back ups because he lacks pace and gets caught out sometimes. Lovren lacks a head and gets caught out sometimes. I'm hoping Matip and Sakho can be a solid defense.

Looks like Sakho is being pushed towards the exit door. Unless JK has a change of heart, I think Sakho's time at us is coming to an end

Really strange stuff that's going on with Sakho. What's he doing to ***** of Klopp?
kartiek

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:43 am

kartiek » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:53 am wrote:
Doeboy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:35 am wrote:
kartiek » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:17 am wrote:Finally felt like we had a solid defense yesterday. Matip is quick so he can keep up with fast strikers and has good positioning sense, besides being very composed and fluid on the ball. Reminded me a bit of Agger with his forward runs. Klavan isn't the best of back ups because he lacks pace and gets caught out sometimes. Lovren lacks a head and gets caught out sometimes. I'm hoping Matip and Sakho can be a solid defense.

Looks like Sakho is being pushed towards the exit door. Unless JK has a change of heart, I think Sakho's time at us is coming to an end

Really strange stuff that's going on with Sakho. What's he doing to ***** of Klopp?

No loose cannons on a tightly run ship
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:01 pm

Klopp is no fan of players with big egos and bad attitudes.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:20 am

Thought Matip was brilliant against Chelsea, with great composure and aerial presence. The Chavs pretty much long balled it for the second half, yet this guy dealt with everything. Been a long time since we'd had a no-nonsense centre back who can do that.

I know he was out of position for the goal, but he was covering for Lallana who didn't track his man. Can't wait to see how our defence improves with this guy in the coming weeks and months.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:40 am

7_Kewell » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:20 am wrote:Thought Matip was brilliant against Chelsea, with great composure and aerial presence. The Chavs pretty much long balled it for the second half, yet this guy dealt with everything. Been a long time since we'd had a no-nonsense centre back who can do that.

I know he was out of position for the goal, but he was covering for Henderson who didn't track his man. Can't wait to see how our defence improves with this guy in the coming weeks and months.

He's been superb, considering him and Lovren have only played together 3 times they look surprisingly assured.
Both are decent in the air as well,  I don't want to jinx us but we are defending free kicks and corners a thousand times better than we did 12 months ago, even Mingolet is punching with a lot more authority.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:46 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:40 am wrote:
7_Kewell » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:20 am wrote:Thought Matip was brilliant against Chelsea, with great composure and aerial presence. The Chavs pretty much long balled it for the second half, yet this guy dealt with everything. Been a long time since we'd had a no-nonsense centre back who can do that.

I know he was out of position for the goal, but he was covering for Henderson who didn't track his man. Can't wait to see how our defence improves with this guy in the coming weeks and months.

He's been superb, considering him and Lovren have only played together 3 times they look surprisingly assured.
Both are decent in the air as well,  I don't want to jinx us but we are defending free kicks and corners a thousand times better than we did 12 months ago, even Mingolet is punching with a lot more authority.

Would love to see how they play with Karius, as I still thing Migs is the weakest link.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42 pm

Mignolet did well yesterday however im with you aswel he is the weakest link. I still get nervy when he has the ball. In the first half he panicked and booted the ball wide. Klopp reaction said it all.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Annoyingly he seems to up his game just when all talk is of him being replaced. When his position is safe then out come the mistakes and that is not good enough frankly. Invest in his replacement by giving him playing time.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:35 am

At last a player who can defend and his distribution is excellent  :nod I don't rate lovren that highly but he looks to have steadied himself when played alongside matip. He could end up being the best signing we made this summer.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:31 am

It would be awesome if Matip has a similar impact like Hyypia. We needed a solid defender who can command the back line. Lovren has improved a lot aswel.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 am

I always thought Lovren played well with Fonte.. I think Fonte was the steady headed defender of the two which gave Lovren freedom to get away with rash challenges and be out of position knowing Fonte would be covering. I think it's going to be the same with Matip, he looks the perfect partner.. maybe Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel were all abit too similar in terms of all would put their heads to a brick, but between them had no awareness of what's happening around them. I used to love the Henchoz/Hyypia combination both complented each other perfectly.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:00 pm

UvS xR4GEx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 am wrote:I always thought Lovren played well with Fonte.. I think Fonte was the steady headed defender of the two which gave Lovren freedom to get away with rash challenges and be out of position knowing Fonte would be covering. I think it's going to be the same with Matip, he looks the perfect partner.. maybe Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel were all abit too similar in terms of all would put their heads to a brick, but between them had no awareness of what's happening around them. I used to love the Henchoz/Hyypia combination both complented each other perfectly.

Yeah I also saw an interview with Matip where he said Lovren speaks German like a native German, although both speak decent English they can communicate in German much quicker and clearer.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:09 pm

Looks like the real deal this lad. Good in the air, knows how to distribute the ball and above all, has great positional awareness.

Agreed with the above posts about the Matip-Lovren partnership. Still early days but promising signs that we've finally found a solution for our defensive problems.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 am wrote:
UvS xR4GEx » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:40 am wrote:I always thought Lovren played well with Fonte.. I think Fonte was the steady headed defender of the two which gave Lovren freedom to get away with rash challenges and be out of position knowing Fonte would be covering. I think it's going to be the same with Matip, he looks the perfect partner.. maybe Sakho, Lovren and Skrtel were all abit too similar in terms of all would put their heads to a brick, but between them had no awareness of what's happening around them. I used to love the Henchoz/Hyypia combination both complented each other perfectly.

Yeah I also saw an interview with Matip where he said Lovren speaks German like a native German, although both speak decent English they can communicate in German much quicker and clearer.

If that's the case throw Karius into the mixer and our defensive communication should improve three fold  :laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion