JOE ALLEN- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:10 am

metalhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:49 pm wrote:He is a great tackler as well! I think he made the most interceptions for Liverpool in today's game! his tackling reminds me of the defensive work that Alonso used to do

thinking the same.

He'll be worth every penny of that 15M, feck the moaners who scoffed at the price.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby shanks » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:54 am

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:10 am wrote:
metalhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:49 pm wrote:He is a great tackler as well! I think he made the most interceptions for Liverpool in today's game! his tackling reminds me of the defensive work that Alonso used to do

thinking the same.

He'll be worth every penny of that 15M, feck the moaners who scoffed at the price.

i agree  :nod
shanks
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 am

Seems like 15M could end up being a complete bargain for this lad.  Exactly the kind of player we've so badly missed for the last 3 years.
Brilliant performance.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Exactly the kind of player we've been missing.  So cool on the ball and so accomplished at pulling the strings.  As noted, he'll happily put a foot in as well.  At first it sounded like we might have a Jordan Henderson Mark II on our hands**, but I think Rodgers has played a blinder bringing this lad in.

(**I've not given up hope on young Henderson, BTW, but I don't think there's any dispute that he had trouble making the adjustment to the red shirt last year.  So far, Allen's shown zero signs of being over-awed.  He looks like he's been wearing the shirt and playing in front of the Liverpool faithful for years and then you stop and remember that yesterday was his Anfield debut.  Remarkable.)
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:39 pm

With Allen, I don't think we need  Lucas. The midfield of Allen, Gerrard and Shelvy looked pretty good...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:08 pm

maguskwt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:39 pm wrote:With Allen, I don't think we need  Lucas. The midfield of Allen, Gerrard and Shelvy looked pretty good...

Shelvey looked promising in preseason but I dont think hes quite ready for a starting role yet. With Lucas, Spearing, Allen, Henderson, Adam, Sahin and Gerrard we have more than enough cover for central midfield and can probably afford to trim down that area of the squad a little. I think a loan spell at a smaller club would do Shelvey a world of good and if it wasnt for the 20mill we paid for him I'd suggest the same for Henderson. Spearing i think we can afford to sell him now that Sahin is here for the season.

Regarding Allen, I've been very impressed with him. Always looking for the ball and rarely gives it away. He has the advantage of knowing Rodgers' style and having him on the side will hopefully help the players around him understand their roles better. Good signing if early indications are anything to go by.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I wouldn't loan out Shelvey and I wouldn't disregard Lucas either.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:18 pm

If anyone was to leave, id prefer it to be Adam, Spearing + Hendo in that order.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Kenny Kan » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:12 pm wrote:I wouldn't loan out Shelvey and I wouldn't disregard Lucas either.

Agreed.

If anything the Lucas injury will now open the way to start Sahin in a three man midfield with Gerrard and Allen. I think Shelvey will make way. The great thing with Shelvey is he is enthusiastic at any opportunity he is offered. We have to capitalise on Sahin as his time here is potentially limited.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 pm

allen was fantastic yesterday and like others said you would think he was here for years.
its impressive how quick he has settled in and if he keeps turning in performances like that he will be a massive player for us.he reads the game very well,is a clean tackler,tenacious when he needs to be and rarely gives the ball away.he's looking like a very good player and a snip at that price.
for me the best options we have in mid are allen,gerrard,sahin with lucas,shelvey and hendo providing the cover or rotation.
adam and spearing hopefully will be moved on in the next couple of days.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm

This lad is a proper player.

His passing has always been well recognised, but his tactical awareness and his ability to nick the ball cleanly and make interceptions have impressed me.  It's also impressive that coming into a new club and a big club he is so willing to make himself available for the ball and take responsibility.

We will need enough players for two teams this season essentially with all the Europa games, meaning 6 central midfielders minimum.  Allen, Gerrard, Lucas, Shelvey and Sahin will be five of them by the looks of things.  Of Spearing, Adam and Henderson it looks like one, if not two, will go.  I'd get rid of Spearing as I think he offers nothing.  If we can sell Adam for 5 mil or so I would.  If we can't offload Adam then maybe loaning Henderson back to Sunderland for a season to get him some game time would be an option.  I wouldn't sell Henderson though I have to say, I still think he'll develop into a good player, but he might be better getting games elsewhere this season.  Then there's Suso, who if he's as good as some reports say and if Rodger's continues with his policy of playing kids who are good enough, he should get some games.  Dempsey would also be capable of playing as the most advanced central midfielder if he comes.  All in all the midfield should be a lot better than last season.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:16 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm wrote: All in all the midfield should be a lot better than last season.

absolutely. for the first time since we were able to sing about having the best midfield in the world (which wasn't far off the truth, either) we have a genuinely talented and exciting midfield again. the quality of allen is patently obvious, anyone who has seen sahin knows that he is also an excellent player, and gerrard - despite having his best years behind him - is still one of the finest footballers in the league. add in the hugely improved lucas, the promising shelvey and even the 'maybe he'll show something' henderson and we won't be pining for the days of alonso, momo and mascher anymore.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:29 pm

andy_g » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:16 pm wrote:
john craig » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 pm wrote: All in all the midfield should be a lot better than last season.

absolutely. for the first time since we were able to sing about having the best midfield in the world (which wasn't far off the truth, either) we have a genuinely talented and exciting midfield again. the quality of allen is patently obvious, anyone who has seen sahin knows that he is also an excellent player, and gerrard - despite having his best years behind him - is still one of the finest footballers in the league. add in the hugely improved lucas, the promising shelvey and even the 'maybe he'll show something' henderson and we won't be pining for the days of alonso, momo and mascher anymore.

Can't argue with that. Exciting times ahead  :buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:30 pm

john craig » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:28 pm wrote:This lad is a proper player.

His passing has always been well recognised, but his tactical awareness and his ability to nick the ball cleanly and make interceptions have impressed me.  It's also impressive that coming into a new club and a big club he is so willing to make himself available for the ball and take responsibility.

We will need enough players for two teams this season essentially with all the Europa games, meaning 6 central midfielders minimum.  Allen, Gerrard, Lucas, Shelvey and Sahin will be five of them by the looks of things.  Of Spearing, Adam and Henderson it looks like one, if not two, will go.  I'd get rid of Spearing as I think he offers nothing.  If we can sell Adam for 5 mil or so I would.  If we can't offload Adam then maybe loaning Henderson back to Sunderland for a season to get him some game time would be an option.  I wouldn't sell Henderson though I have to say, I still think he'll develop into a good player, but he might be better getting games elsewhere this season.  Then there's Suso, who if he's as good as some reports say and if Rodger's continues with his policy of playing kids who are good enough, he should get some games.  Dempsey would also be capable of playing as the most advanced central midfielder if he comes.  All in all the midfield should be a lot better than last season.

there`s a real possibilty suso could leave mate, his contract runs out at the end of this season and he`s free to speak to other clubs in january.
apparently he feels that his career is stalling a bit at liverpool, i think he`s 19 in november and he`s the only member of that euro winning spanish U19 team who hasnt started a competative first team game for their club.
in january there`s going to be some top top clubs offering him a contract, the club shouldnt have let it get to the stage where he has less than a year left on his current deal.
when rafa originally signed him real madrid and barca were in for him, wouldnt surprise me if they came in for him again given some of his performances for the U19`s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0dfjJ4gG20 - i wont embed the clip because the screen is too small to see his range of passing and skill properly, but click on that link and wonder how we are letting this player go.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Octsky » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:15 am

shelvy is more dynamic than lucas, but lucas is a better ball winning.
hendo has the stamina and work rate to be a good box to box mid.
allen is a steady ship, did not commit any mistakes all game. which is good.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion