JOE ALLEN- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby shanks13 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm

Henderson will be a good player. I hope he gets some chances in the first team, especially with Gerrard looking uncharacteristically undercooked.
shanks13
LFC Basic Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 pm

If Joe Allen was good against City then he totally surpassed that with his performance against Arsenal ,the lad was a class above every player on that pitch .
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:22 am

anyone hear the dross shearer was spouting about him on MOTD? apparently he doesn't play enough forward balls and keeping possession isn't enough. in short, he's the new lucas from 3 years ago. this view sums up everything that is wrong with the english mentality to football. he was essentially criticising allen for not trying more high risk balls. and yet this is the same guy who was slagging off england during the euro's for not doing the basics well. you couldn't make it up. :laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:18 am

Yes, but he was partly right. Allen does not create goalscoring chances. He is a bit one dimensional also.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 am

Allen is a much better footballer than Lucas... he retains possession, does not slow the game down, wins possessions back, what more could you ask? Those that are criticizing him clearly do not understand his role. He has also shown that he is comfortable surging forward. His game is very similar to Hamann's. If he is not doing it enough, it's either he needs more experience or BR asked him to stay deep... the only thing lacking in my opinion is that he does not have the long range shot of didi...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:39 am

He's one of the better movers of the ball on the team, it's really just a bonus that he's great at tackling.  I thought today was his poorest game for us yet, but he wasn't bad, he just misplaced 3 or 4 passes total instead of 1.  He brings a lot to the table, and right now, has to be the first name on the team sheet week in, week out for Rogers.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby burjennio » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:51 am

stmichael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 pm wrote:anyone hear the dross shearer was spouting about him on MOTD? apparently he doesn't play enough forward balls and keeping possession isn't enough. in short, he's the new lucas from 3 years ago. this view sums up everything that is wrong with the english mentality to football. he was essentially criticising allen for not trying more high risk balls. and yet this is the same guy who was slagging off england during the euro's for not doing the basics well. you couldn't make it up. :laugh:

I dont think thats completely fair mate, I think the point Shearer was making, and MOTD replayed some of the incidents to back him up, was that at times yesterday there was a more positive pass on for Allen and he choose to take the safer option of a 6 yard pass across the line. I dont think they were having a proper go at him, hes been one of the few bright sparks to our season so far, but I think it was perhaps a reflection of how that easy ball seems more appealing when things arnt going your way. When the team is firing on all cylinders and strings a couple of wins together I guarantee that he'll be spraying that ball around like the Welsh Xabi!
burjennio

Postby The Hustler » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:03 pm

Haven't been blown away by Joe Allen.

He's OK, but I don't yet know about "great"

Results will tell us a lot.
The Hustler
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:36 am

burjennio » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:51 am wrote:
stmichael » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 pm wrote:anyone hear the dross shearer was spouting about him on MOTD? apparently he doesn't play enough forward balls and keeping possession isn't enough. in short, he's the new lucas from 3 years ago. this view sums up everything that is wrong with the english mentality to football. he was essentially criticising allen for not trying more high risk balls. and yet this is the same guy who was slagging off england during the euro's for not doing the basics well. you couldn't make it up. :laugh:

I dont think thats completely fair mate, I think the point Shearer was making, and MOTD replayed some of the incidents to back him up, was that at times yesterday there was a more positive pass on for Allen and he choose to take the safer option of a 6 yard pass across the line. I dont think they were having a proper go at him, hes been one of the few bright sparks to our season so far, but I think it was perhaps a reflection of how that easy ball seems more appealing when things arnt going your way. When the team is firing on all cylinders and strings a couple of wins together I guarantee that he'll be spraying that ball around like the Welsh Xabi!

I'm no fan of Shearer but Allen's performance against Chelsea yesterday exemplifies everything he was saying. Not only did Allen give the ball away wastefully on a number of occasions he also lost possession by being far to slow in vital areas.His passing is ultra cautious. It is either five yards sideways or five yards backwards. With passing like that anybody could achieve his pass conversion figures. Lets face it for a few million more we bought Suarez and in terms of quality the two players should not really be on the same pitch. I don't know if Joe is going through a bad spell of form because if he isn't I'm really struggling to see what BR finds so impressive about him. Joe even bottled a really good chance to have a shot on goal and opted for a safe and useless pass. Sorry but I'm getting more disillusioned with the lad by the game.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:12 am

It was a rare bad day at the office for Joe yesterday, he never got any time at all.

I am a big fan of his and think he has been worth every penny of the £15 mill we paid for him.  Keepin ght ball moving is what is needed in the system that BR is drilling into our players and that is what he does.  Dont foregt as well he is really playing out of position as when Lucas is back we shoudl see him playing 25 yds further forward and that will change the dynamic of his game.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:15 am

Whilst not great generally I've been fairly happy with his contribution since he joined us, usually neat tidy and comfortable on the ball but he was very very poor yesterday.

Hopefully it was just a "bad day at the office" .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:37 am

woof woof ! » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 am wrote:Whilst not great generally I've been fairly happy with his contribution since he joined us, usually neat tidy and comfortable on the ball but he was very very poor yesterday.

Hopefully it was just a "bad day at the office" .

I like him but he has been poor for the last few games, especially against swansea where he was caught in possession on numerous occasions.
I think he will realise this and turn it around soon. Rathe have him than henderson or downing any day
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:34 pm

He needs players around him to be better... I actually prefer him to lucas... lucas is too defensive... if he grows and improves , he will be like xavi
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 pm

lucas is too defensive? that's his job. most teams in the league would cry out for a player of his ability in his role. he's better than mikel and he's better than anything united and city have to offer in that role aswell.

allen is far too deep at the moment in lucas' absence. the whole midfield is unbalanced. once lucas comes back hopefully he'll shore us up a bit defensively and enable allen to play higher up the pitch.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

He's avery good player but is playing out of position plus having a dip in form, same could be said for Raheem. They'll both bounce back as they are both quality players.
heimdall

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion