Is 4-3-3 formation the best option?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:32 am

Jurgen plays the 4-3-3 system in every single match, but I'm not sure it is effective in every match we play. In this system, you can't really play wingers and Klopp is using attacking full backs. In my opinion, MOST teams this season, are going to come to Anfield and play 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 formations to try and stifle our Midfield and attack. This will frustrate us.

Could we not play a 4-4-2 maybe sometimes and field something like....

ALISSON

TAA.   GOMEZ   VVD. ROBERTSON

SHAQIRI KEITA. WJNALDUM. MANE

SALAH.  FIRMINO /STURRIDGE

We drew a lot of games last season, so the 4-3-3 isn't always effective in every match that Jurgen is fielding his teams.I just think varying it a bit could be a good idea.

Discuss....
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:55 am

Hi it’s 1995, can I have my formation back please, cheers
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:56 am

I would stick with what we've got and just tweak the middle.

Either Fabinho/Hendo/Wij/Milly-with-Keita
and Shaqiri just off them.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:58 am

Fowler_E7 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 pm wrote:Hi it’s 1995, can I have my formation back please, cheers

:D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:35 am

Ghost of Shankly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:32 am wrote:Jurgen plays the 4-3-3 system in every single match, but I'm not sure it is effective in every match we play. In this system, you can't really play wingers and Klopp is using attacking full backs. In my opinion, MOST teams this season, are going to come to Anfield and play 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 formations to try and stifle our Midfield and attack. This will frustrate us.

ALISSON

We drew a lot of games last season, so the 4-3-3 isn't always effective in every match that Jurgen is fielding his teams.I just think varying it a bit could be a good idea.

Discuss....

So the manager spends millions on players to fit his formation and style and after winning the first three games of the season without conceding a goal you think it’s a good idea to change that formation !
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:46 pm

redshade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:56 pm wrote:I would stick with what we've got and just tweak the middle.

Either Fabinho/Hendo/Wij/Milly-with-Keita
and Shaqiri just off them.

Yep that's what I'd do as well, at least against the lesser lights of the division. I could understand packing the midfield with water carriers away at say United or Chelsea but at home we should be setting up aggressively and getting after teams.
In fact given how City took 24 points out of a possible 30 in head to head match ups against the other top teams last season there is an argument to say we should be setting up aggressively even at the likes of Stamford Bridge and Old Trafford.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:25 pm

Klopp has 246 different options using the players he has without having to change the formation.

If we'd played 3 and lost 2 then agree let's change the formation but let's not change it just cos we're bored.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:32 pm

I also think we should keep the formation but the more I think about it, we'll have to be near perfect to win the league. City finished on 100 points having scored 106 goals. They might not reach those heights but they dont realistically need to to win it again. The impetus is on us to try and make up 25 points and over 20 goals scored. I dont think a side with the best defense in the world would beat Man City to the title. The focus has got to be making sure we dont slip against any side outside the top 6. Home or away.

All of that said, I would like to see Klopp give the likes of Lallana, Shaqiri, and Sturridge more playing time early on in the season. If we are to reach 100+ league goals, we'll need the majority of the attacking players in the squad to be on decent form for the entirety of the season. In the home league games against smaller sides, we can probably cope with Lallana playing alongside Keita and a holding midfielder. We could probably also do what City does and play some of the easier games with 2 strikers (Sturridge and Firmino).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:32 am wrote:Jurgen plays the 4-3-3 system in every single match, but I'm not sure it is effective in every match we play. In this system, you can't really play wingers and Klopp is using attacking full backs. In my opinion, MOST teams this season, are going to come to Anfield and play 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 formations to try and stifle our Midfield and attack. This will frustrate us.

ALISSON

Discuss....

As we're now playing "Foot Ball Manager"   :p

How about (if all fit)  an attacking 3-4-1-2

.                     .  ..  Alisson

.           Matip     .... Virgil      Gomez

. TAA .......Hendo............Keita .......Robertson .

.                     .  . . Firmino

.           Salah.......................Mane.

It includes a foundation of good defensive players,

Players who can dig but can turn defence into a devastating  attack  !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:51 am

That's not a bad shout. We also have the likes of Shaqiri (playing just behind the front three) and Fabinho to possibly fit in there somewhere.

I suggested a formation different to a 4-3-3 as teams are going to come to Anfield and play 4-5-1 etc to try and stifle us in Midfield, Brighton and West Ham tried it.

Also going away to the likes of Spurs, Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd may call for a more defensive Midfield setup to avoid being overrun.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion