Parry calls for use of fourth sub

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:37 am

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry could suggest to football's governing bodies that teams be allowed to use a fourth substitute in extra time.
At present only three replacements are allowed during a match - with no concession for the added-on 30 minutes.

Parry came up with the idea after Liverpool beat West Ham in the FA Cup final after 120 minutes plus penalties.

"Here's a thought for the future, maybe a fourth substitute to be allowed in extra time," he told Radio Five Live.

"It would make it less of a lottery."

Several Liverpool players, including captain Steven Gerrard, were struck by cramp in extra time while West Ham striker Marlon Harewood was injured and unable to put any weight on one leg.

"Maybe the issue should be raised with the Football Association," said Parry.

They're cruel but penalties also produce fantastic drama

Rick Parry

"Poor Marlon Harewood played so well in the 90 minutes but was a passenger at the end. That's no way to decide big games."

Harewood might have won the Cup for West Ham at the death but the ball fell to his injured foot and he sliced wide.

However, Parry feels reintroducing a replay for the final is unrealistic.

"Looking at the calendar, I think we've gone beyond that now," he said.

"Penalty shoot-outs are nerve-jangling and you always feel sorry for the losers but at the end of the day, they produce fantastic drama, talking points and entertainment.

"I think we have to accept finishing it on the day - but it's cruel after two sides have given their all for 90 minutes."

link bbc
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon May 15, 2006 9:43 am

It makes sense...if they could allow six subs on the bench, how about two subs in extra time (allowing for the fact that it probably wouldn't be worth subbing the goalie)?

I love watching all the players falling over, having given their all.  It looks like a battlefield and is a great spectacle to see finely tuned athletes giving their all (except Harry Kewell).  It's not really fair though when you see situations like Marlon Harewood's.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby dawson99 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:46 am

got to admit at the end of the game half the team appeared to be lying on the pitch ni some kind of cramps situation. but thats the beauty of football. Its abouit the perssure of having to play that bit more and go that extra mile. Plus wouldnt that just mean that managers would save an older penalty taker just in case.

I say leave it as it is, we saw on saturday that that game could not be improved
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon May 15, 2006 10:18 am

Leave it as is, the spectacle of last man standing on the battlefield was never quite so apt as it was on Saturday
And like Dawson said, it would just end being using abused in gamey tactical ploy for penalty shootout
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Mon May 15, 2006 10:56 am

I was thinking the same time as Parry when we went into extra-time. Rugby League in Australia has a limit of 12 interchanges (players can be reused). In the club games, and an extra ten minutes are played (golden point)  and both teams get an additional 2 interchanges. For football, I think 1 more substitution would make sense.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion