Hypothetical nonsense - But what the hell.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:22 pm

Just say for instance that Stevie goes at the end of the season. For the sake of argument its to Mdrid for 32 million, (yes I know its not enough but run with it or a second). Diouf goes to Bolton for 3.5 and Baros to some Italian club for 7.5. That means a total of 43 mill. David Moores dips into his pocket again and chucks in another 12 mill. 55 million to spend but taking into account salaries, probably about 35 million in actual transfer fees.

Now my hypothetical question is this, would you buy any British or British based players and who would it be and for how much?

Do me a favour, if you think its a b0llocks question or you can't be ersed or whatever just don't reply. I KNOW ITS TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL!!!! It's just out of interest.
The reason why I've said Brithish only is because I think we maybe need a couple and because all of us have a better idea of valuations than we do with foreign based players.

I think we should buy Ledley King, 16 million. Scott Parker for 6 million. Thomas Graveson (I know I'm breaking my own rule) for 5 million. I trust Rafa to find us a good striker and wide man from abroad.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:28 pm

I'd try to bring Owen back and also consider King.

I'm not that sure about Parker......he's a good player but I have a feeling that he might not recover from his Chelsea problems.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:28 pm

I love spending hypothetical millions  :D

Scott Parker 6 million
Danny Gabiddon 3 million
SWP 15 million
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:30 pm

ledley king definitely.

SWP depending on the price

in terms of a replacement for stevie, i wouldn't look for british, i'd go for mark van bommel. he's available on a free in the summer.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby liamac » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:31 pm

In all honesty Big Mick its not hyperthetical  really , its what will probably happen  (bloody good thread as well ).
Scott Parker i would  definatley go for , Andy Johnson is another buy if only as a squad player .
I think that Raffa will but more spanish players to replace the  Polish French Swiss Finnish and Australians that we have in our team...........at least having them from the same country means there is better communication on the field !!!
Having 55 million is a good assesment because that will probably be the ball park figure  that Raffa has to spend if SG goes and we sell Baros ( which is seeming more likely as each day goes by ).

Chances are tho if SG and Baros goes i think it might be a bit more than 55 million as its possible that Moores could sell and maybe there will be more investment . Raffa will but well , i really trust his eye for talent far more than Houllier
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:32 pm

i'm all for bringing in a few more english/british players. as much as i love the contribution of some of our best imports i begin to worry when the team develops a bias towards one particular nationality as is now beginning to happen with the spanish. but then we're faced with the problem that the british players are often so overpriced. even though, i would go after ledley king and probably swp.

my main worry though is that we won't make 4th spot and the champions league money. so any money we make on sales of assets like gerrard and baros will get swallowed up by the losses in revenue by not being there. i feel the board may not be so easy with the money in that situation. also now that every player believes the only stage worthy of their talents is the cl, would be be attractive to any of these names?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:34 pm

for me my top 5 tragets would be in no particular order.

King, Aimar, SWP and Torres, Bridge.

they would probaly all cost around 60 million though.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:54 pm

LFC #1 wrote:for me my top 5 tragets would be in no particular order.

King, Aimar, SWP and Torres, Bridge.

they would probaly all cost around 60 million though.

I really like Aimar, but he seems a little slight for thr English game (and we do not need any more players that cannot adapt to the English game even though he is built like Jeninho? and he did adapt). I do agree that we need a creative playmaker. I hoped it would  be Garcia (still could be).
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:59 pm

If were going outside Britain then Aimar and I would trust Rafa to get a class central defender

I would also trust him to get a class strikert although like JBG would love to see MO return although cant see it happening

Ballack another one worth mentioning

Whatever happens I reckon he will add class players to the squad.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:08 pm

The thing sadly lacking in today's team is physical abilities. Since we are without strenght and pace in key areas we are easy to contol and easy to break down. I'd focus of getting some warriors in the team and on buying more pace. Particularly in the back and in midfield. Our midfielders are ineffective at putting pressure on the opposition because the footwork is too slow (biscan, cheyrou, diao). Then there is a need for some flair, pace and creativity on the wings. When was the last time we actually had a player capable of going past the fullbacks and putting in a decent cross? Then there is a BIG BIG need for some better defenders. Sami Hyypia is dead and buried, Pellegrino is not one for the future and Traore/Finnan is only squad players.

And this buy english thing is nonsense. Buying english means us ending up with a squad of Beattie's and Barton's. Hardly the solution for a team wanting to compete with the likes of Madrid and Milan?
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:11 pm

Lots of "we need this type of player or that type," but whom? Stick to the thread, keep it British based and give us a valuation. Don't slag the current squad, theres a million threads on that already. Names and numbers please!
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:25 pm

Outside of UK I'd go for Baraja ahead of Aimar
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:28 pm

ok... british players only
(i woulda said ballack, van der vart and mista)
id go
owen hargreaves 6 million?
andy johnson 5.5 million
SWP 16 million
woodgate (if he gets fitbness back) 5.5 million

there u go :)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:34 pm

dawson99 wrote:ok... british players only

owen hargreaves 6 million?

british my backside :D  :laugh:  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:36 pm

well, in the lennox lewis state of affairs... i dunno
in all honesty get any british player, say what u think hes worth, then add a few million, coz thats what happens. but id rather have hargreaves than parker, and i think we could get him
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion