Hypothetical nonsense - But what the hell.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:53 pm

If British based only, Yakubu is probably the best available striker.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bRy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:59 pm

British players:

Dean Bowditch (Ipswich) -if the hype surrounding him is true

Scott Parker (Chelsea) - could land him for a decent fee, maybe 5 mil, and I think he'd have a lot to prove resulting in him becoming a viable replacement for Hamann whilst giving a greater attacking edge than what Hamann gives us at the moment

I think the otherscalready mentioned are out of reach meaning they're not available for transfer, with perhaps the exception of perhaps SWP, although we'd face stiff competition from a host of clubs and I could easily see him going to Arsenal given his father's connections there

Foreign players:

Aleskandr Hleb (VFB Stuttgart) - Quality Belarusian winger full of creativity, youthful but with plenty of experience

Timo Hildebrand (VFB Stuttgart) - If Dudek is to be replaced Hildebrand would easily top the list of keepers available to Liverpool. The guy has been kept out of the German team by Kahn and Lehmann, however this is purely due to their experience and reputation in my opinion. If you want to see the best of Hildebrand, watch highlights of Stuttgart's loss to Parma in the UEFA Cup. Hildebrand makes at least five top drawer saves, one from Bresciano which was nearly beyond belief

Denilson (Betis) - The guy's around 25, has been playing for awhile now in the Brazilian national team and in the 02 World Cup his dribbling skills were used to time waste, drawing five Turkish players to him whilst he held the ball up. Could be a constant source of frustration for opposition defenders, providing headaches for teams on the left wing. Could be pricey though.

Marco Materrazzi (Inter) - Unsure if he continues to play for Inter regularly, but was a fixture in the Italian national side's back four during the World Cup, such is his class. Have a feeling he may have fallen out of favour as I haven't heard mch about him and he could be nicked for a reasonable sum to fortify our defence

Mark Van Bommel (PSV) - Available on a free van Bommel would be perhaps the European signing of the season next season as he brings a wealth of talent, leadership and experience to whichever club snaps him up. Powerful central midfielder with a lethal long shot you'd be hard pressed to find a midfielder who offers better value for money

A few other notable names include Phillipe Mexes (Roma), Patrice Evra (Monaco), Benoit Pedretti (Sochaux), Thomas Rosicky (Dortmund) Christoph Metzelder (Dortmund), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax), Rafael Van Der Vaart (Ajax), Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht), Sammy Kuffour (Bayern Munich). There are tonnes of others, which leads me also to think that perhaps what the side needs are a few lesser known players that'll get the job done yet go relatively unnoticed and compliment some of the stars we aready have at the club
bRy

Postby ronmeister » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:00 pm

only british players i would like at LFC used to be here :(
Owen and Thomson since he's been in blackburn i think he has turned into a great player.
15mil for owen and 5 mil for thompson.
King would be a great addition but no chance in hell .. oh its make believe :) Ok King as well for about 10 mil.
ronmeister

Postby addicted norwegian » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:01 pm

Carson
Finnan    King        Carra       Riise

SWP        Alonso   Parker        Duff

Cissè         Morientes

I think this would make a great starting XI...
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:02 pm

David Thompson has completely lost his way at Blackburn after a brilliant start to his career there. I saw him play against Crystal Palace a few months ago and his shocking bad attitude (he got sent off) confirmed that Houllier was right to sell him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby bRy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:09 pm

David Dunn is another player that hasn't exactly been making headlines recently at Birmingham, after his large move from Blackburn.
bRy

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:47 pm

taff wrote:I love spending hypothetical millions  :D

Scott Parker 6 million
Danny Gabiddon 3 million
SWP 15 million

What is it with you and Danny Gabiddon  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:49 pm

Paul C wrote:
taff wrote:I love spending hypothetical millions  :D

Scott Parker 6 million
Danny Gabiddon 3 million
SWP 15 million

What is it with you and Danny Gabiddon  :D

he's welsh :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:55 pm

Mark my words he is class
Theres no other Welsh player Id like to see play for us

I hope this doesnt turn into a we should have bought him thread because of peoples obsession that everything outside the premiership is rubbish

Oh and Cardiffs financial bubble has burst big style as well so Id get him now as they would sell now and for sopme reason thy can they sold a player last Friday
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:16 pm

SWP- 15M

Robbie Keane - 7M

King - 12M
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:28 pm

addicted norwegian wrote:Carson

Cissè         Morientes

ya right...Chelsea must be desperate for cash to sell Duff then  ???
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:34 am

Santa wrote:
addicted norwegian wrote:Carson

Cissè         Morientes

ya right...Chelsea must be desperate for cash to sell Duff then  ???

It was hypothetical, wasn`t it.... ???
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:16 pm

Scott Parker, £4m-£6m: would be a superb addition weather Gerrard was to stay or go. I honestly feel if you had Parker you have tremendous options in midfield and and if you lost either Gerrard or Alonso to injury then you'd have an able aggressive and mobile young replacement.

Shaun Wright-Phillips, £8.5m: If he costs a penny more than that i wouldn't want to know. Not as good as alot of people make out, not a great player but certainly not a bad one, he can score goals, is aggressive and has pace. Basically he's better than anything we have already in this position and for the right amount of money he'd be a good addition.

Jon Woodgate, £10m: To be honest, i'd take the chance even for that kind of money because i rate the lad that highly. He's a class player. He's quick, strong, excellent in the air, can tackle, reads the game, composed on the ball. The lads got everything you need to be a top player. Him and Hyypia at the back would be simply immense. The pressence and leadership aswell as ariel ability and positional play and anticipation would be superb. A different combination to Terry and Gallas at Chelsea, but one i feel would certainly be as effective. With Carragher sweeping from right back aswell that defense would potentially be rock solid. Carragher could even play with Woodgate if we were to find a top class right back.

Michael Owen, £12m-£15m: Don't need to say much. Imagine him playing off Morientes though. Goals, goals, goals and more goals. With the chances we've created this season i honestly believe had we had Owen we'd have been top 4. One of the bets strikers i've ever seen and a goal threat from the second he enters the pitch to the second he leaves.

From abroad...

Mark van Bommel, FREE TRANSFER: I've always thought he was a good player. Great shot, decent passer, works hard and good physically. Not world class, but for nothing you can complain especially as he has the ability to walk into most sides in europe.

Samuel Kuffor, FREE TRANSFER: Loads of experience, good in the air, quick, athletic, strong, hard, good in the tackle, aggressive, just in general, a top quality player. Would be a superb addition to our defence.

Future target for the following season to complete the jigsaw...

Vicente, £18m: Top class pacey winger who can score and create goals with vision, pace and the ability to cross.

Code: Select all
              Morientes      Owen
Vicente                                     W.Phillips
               Parker         Alonso

Riise         Hyypia       Woodgate     Finnan
                       Kirkland

Carragher being first choice backup along the back four. The thing about Carragher is that i love, if he was left out, you know the second he gets his chance, he'll take it as usual and come back and probably be our best centre half and lets face it, any side who can leave Carragher on the bench is doing something right. Also you'd still have the likes of Cisse, Carson, Warnock, van Bommel, Josemi, Luis Garcia, Nunez, Sinama-Pongolle, Le Tallec and Hamann.

We would possibly need to look at bringing in another central defender with experience for a year or so, maybe Pellegrino could be kept on.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Jon Woodgate, £10m[/b]: To be honest, i'd take the chance even for that kind of money because i rate the lad that highly. He's a class player. He's quick, strong, excellent in the air, can tackle, reads the game, composed on the ball. The lads got everything you need to be a top player.

i'm still trying to work out how he passed a medical at real madrid to be honest. ???

but i agree. ask leeds fans who they rated higher out of ferdinand and woodgate and i bet the majority would say woodgate. when fit, the guy is absolute class.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:24 pm

I don't rate him as highly as Ferdinand or Campbell.

I do think Campbell is starting to drop a bit now though with all the injuries.

But i do think he's the joint third best English centre half with Terry.

Woodgate, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, King, Carragher, Upson... Not a position England will have problems with for a long time.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion