Another problem - It starts at the back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ade » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:45 pm

With all the problems in the team this season, most of us have been looking in the same direction: striker injuries leaving us short up front, Kewell's dip in form. Stevie G's will he won't he move, the goalkeeper…

Watching the Everton game made me realise we've got another huge problem to sort out.

Rafa played a back four of Josemi, Carra, Hyypia and Riise. None of these players can pass a ball forward with any accuracy. In front of the back 4 we had two central midfielders, Hamann and Diao, and neither of them can make incisive passes forward. They're basically the same type of player. Watching Hamann reminds me of how Ray Wilkins used to play: soon as he gets the ball he instinctively turns either sideways or back to goal. He's a good player, not knocking him, but he's almost totally defensive. Diao is just a mystery to me.

Anyway, so we've got 6 outfield players there who can't build up attacking momentum or thread a killer pass. This puts huge pressure on the wide players: Kewell's still trying to find form and fitness, and on the right wing he's playing Pongolle, who's clearly not a wide player. Cos of this, we've basically got one player in his right position to feed the front two, and that's Kewell. Cos of this, Gerrard was forced to track back to pick the ball. When this starts to happen all the other midfielders stand around in awe and expect him to do something every time: they begin to shirk their own responsibilities.

Also, with Stevie droppin back, this leaves Mellor isolated up front, easy pickings for Everton's ugly boys at the back.

My point, FWIW, is that Riise and Josemi are costing us dearly. Carra and Hyypia seem to have a good understanding now, and both are playing well. Since Stevie took the armband back Sami's form has gone up rapidly; some of his touches and interceptions on Saturday were enough to persuade me he might be getting back to near his best.

But our fullbacks are a liability: we need two attacking FBs to take some of the pressure off the midfield, especially if Alonso's not playing, and push up quick enough on the oppos' wide players. They'll also help us keep possession, rather than seeing Josemi and Riise constantly hoof the ball upfield and give away our momentum. Pass and move.

Also, other teams identify Josemi as a weak link. Everton were feeding Kilbane heavily in the first half, cos they knew our FB's sit too deep. Josemi gave away the ball again on Saturday in the lead-up to a goal. He scares me whenever a winger runs at him, and average wingers too: Pedersen, Kilbane.

For me Finnan needs to come in; he's got pace, two good feet, and gets forward well. And Riise for me is the player who looks most exposed at the moment. (I'm talking real contenders for a place, not shop-window fodder like Diao.) JAR’s distribution is appalling, his positional play is not good enough for a fullback, and he's spent so long being shunted from FB to midfield and back again he's lost all sense of what he should be doing.

We need Finnan in from now on, and we either need Traore to have a long run, or we need a new left-back. Wayne Bridge is out of favour at Chelsea, and though he looked out of his depth playing for England, he's a good Premiership fullback. I reckon we could get him for £4m off Chelsea.

Go with Bridge, Hyypia, Carra and Finnan and you're tidy, compact, quite pacy on the outside, solid in the centre, with two attacking FBs.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:04 pm

Some interesting views there mate. I dont really agree with your opinion on Riise, hes done well this year and is an essential player. His passing isnt brilliant, but it aint as bad as what you're saying.

Ive never really thought about Wayne Bridge, but now that i do i think he would probably fit in well. Some one would most definitely have to get the chop if he came though, either Riise or Traore...both good players.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:11 pm

Ade wrote:Rafa played a back four of Josemi, Carra, Hyypia and Riise. None of these players can pass a ball forward with any accuracy.

I disagree there for starters  :glare:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:52 pm

We lose a lot of possession from inaccurate balls out of defence or first time hoof's up the pitch. We most certainly do not have Hansen and Lawrenson etc. playing at the moment.
I also agree with your comments regarding the full-backs, both Riise and Josemi are a cause for concern.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:36 pm

Interesting post Ade and I generally agree with most of the context.It was certainly a major factor in our defeat on saturday that SG was left in limbo with the ball sailing over his head for the majority of the time.Why Alonso was denied a starting place is beyond me...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 100-1102639321 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:52 pm

supersub wrote:Interesting post Ade and I generally agree with most of the context.It was certainly a major factor in our defeat on saturday that SG was left in limbo with the ball sailing over his head for the majority of the time.Why Alonso was denied a starting place is beyond me...

he mighten have had 90 minutes in him, same with nunez.

josemi, diao, pongolie, kewell not good enough to wear the liverpool shirt
100-1102639321

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:31 am

Distribution from the back is a really impoprtant part of a team functioning to it's potential. Almost always however, its not the bloke making the pass who is at fault, its the failure of a team to make an opportunity for him with movement. Unfortunately, with Mellor on his own up front for us at the moment teams are naturally able to press higher up the pitch against us. Also, for lack of pace read lack of mobility and he doesn't work the channels either, thats not his game to be fair. As we had a midfield without either Gerrard or Alonso, our two players who will come back and take over off defenders, the options for the back four were limited.
Everton are well coached by people who are not stupid so they hunt in packs around the centre-halves and concede a little more space to the two fullbacks whose distribution is more erratic, so forcing Hyypia and Carragher to play it square to Josemi and Riise. From there what to do? Look for Mellors head so he can knock it down to Stevie or try and thread a pass through the jungle of midfield. Either way a tiny moving target to hit from 30 yards away. Result? Lots of innaccurate passes from the back and howls of derision from the fans. Answer? well to be honest not an easy one if they do what they did as well on Saturday. Need a bit of pace and mobility upfront for sure, probably out-wide as well to stretch the pitch a bit. Need a ball-player in midfield and for sure, an ounce of luck as well. Not always the defenders fault though.
Bridge for 4 million? My feeling is he'd cost at least twice that, probably more.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:39 am

Bridge would naturally be a top acquisition, but I agree with Mick, I don't think Chelsea would let him go for a song.

Its strange that Chelsea are playing Gallas (a right sided centre half) at left back when they have Bridge, although I suppose pairing him with Robben gives you plenty of flair and penetration on the left, but probably a gaping hole on the counter attack.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby whelston23 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:24 am

for the comment on riise... i realli think that guy is great , however , he is look realli tired... i think he has be playing all the games for liverpool this season.. apart for hyypia and carra... center backs do not do so much of running compared to a left back... he is pure tired.
whelston23

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:47 am

bigmick wrote:Distribution from the back is a really impoprtant part of a team functioning to it's potential. Almost always however, its not the bloke making the pass who is at fault, its the failure of a team to make an opportunity for him with movement. Unfortunately, with Mellor on his own up front for us at the moment teams are naturally able to press higher up the pitch against us. Also, for lack of pace read lack of mobility and he doesn't work the channels either, thats not his game to be fair. As we had a midfield without either Gerrard or Alonso, our two players who will come back and take over off defenders, the options for the back four were limited.
Everton are well coached by people who are not stupid so they hunt in packs around the centre-halves and concede a little more space to the two fullbacks whose distribution is more erratic, so forcing Hyypia and Carragher to play it square to Josemi and Riise. From there what to do? Look for Mellors head so he can knock it down to Stevie or try and thread a pass through the jungle of midfield. Either way a tiny moving target to hit from 30 yards away. Result? Lots of innaccurate passes from the back and howls of derision from the fans. Answer? well to be honest not an easy one if they do what they did as well on Saturday. Need a bit of pace and mobility upfront for sure, probably out-wide as well to stretch the pitch a bit. Need a ball-player in midfield and for sure, an ounce of luck as well. Not always the defenders fault though.
Bridge for 4 million? My feeling is he'd cost at least twice that, probably more.

fantastic summary there big mick, well thought out.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:01 pm

i would like to think bigmick and ade have 2 valid points there. Its actually down to upfront movement and the passing at the back as well.  Risse isnt bad for me but Josemi is definitely worse than Finnan who prefers to position himself well rather than lunge into tackles which is smarter i think..Diao and Hamann together? no way! both has no movement,just wait for the ball!?
whylongball?

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion