How to solve a problem like garcia?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:44 pm

The Original Article

What are we going to do about Garcia? While it is unlikely that we'll see a reality TV show in the January transfer window to audition for his replacement, his value to the team is as much a source of debate as ever.

Last Saturdays performance against Fulham served only to provide evidence for both the prosecution and the defence, like many games before it. A peripheral figure for much of the game, then he conjured up a superb header from a distance which, had it been Crouch on the end of Aggers beautiful cross, would have seen the ball bounce more times than a Steve Harmison loosener on its way to the keeper.

The applause which greeted his removal shortly afterwards would surely have been more muted but for this typically outrageous piece of finishing which meant his contribution ended on a high rather than a anti climax.

Garcia falls squarely into the category of "luxury player". The type who entertains, can decide a match with a single flash of skill, but cannot be relied upon when the tough gets going. Need a unexpected flick or a incisive pass to unlock a defence? Luis is your man!!

Need someone to drag you back into a game when your 1 - 0 down and struggling to find any real fluency? Look elsewhere!

No-one gives the ball away more frequently, yet promises so much when in possession of the ball in and around the 18 yard box, think of the great goals of the last 3 years and Garcia will figure prominently.

So is he worth the candle? Surely there must always be room for the flair player? The one who inspires delight and groans in equal measure?  Well yes but you have to choose when and where to play him.

Don't even think about putting him on the wing away from home unless, you want to give the full back behind him an impression of what it was like at the Alamo!

Do pick him for European nights, playing just off the striker, where he can wander and produce some stunning shots and passes. As for the rest your guess is a good as mine.

On balance I am happier when I see Luis's name in the team sheet-  you just have to hope the other 10 players are on form.

By Adam Proudfoot
Jedi

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:04 pm

As good a summing up of Garcia as I have read Jedi. He drives me to distraction and then just as I am screaming for him to be taken off, he scores or makes a great goal. I don't know if we should shoot him or knight him  :D
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:13 pm

maybe i got it wrong, but he is a big game player & game winner in my books. He sure can be frustrating though. But i don't think of him as a luxury player at all, but a nesscessary component in our squad. Not to mention he is fairly versatile in terms of positions.

But very good post all the same jedi.
Last edited by babu on Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:36 pm

Trickster and ball waster in equal measure.  Like Yin and Yang.  That's our Lil Luis. :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Simple, play him at home and Euro games and semis and the like on neutral venues.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:15 pm

I'm not a major fan of Luis. Saturday shows that he has his uses, but as far as the bigger picture and the longer term goes, we'll need a better quality of "luxury player" like a Zola or Bergkamp.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby IRISHFAN » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:21 pm

Don't play him at all! I've said before that he's the worst player I've seen in years at the club. Yes, he can score a great goal once in every three months, but the man can't make a simple five-yard pass and that, as a professional footballer, is not good enough. I honestly can't belive how this is even a debate. Those fans of garcia will bring up 'yes, he scored here and here and here' but how many times have the opposition score and the lose of possesion can be traced back to the Spaniard?
I keep a close eye on him - it's a vendetta now - and for every thing he does right, he does ten things wrong. I can't remember what Euro game it was this season, but Garcia gave the ball away and Finnan got booked trying to win it back five seconds later. Ten minutes later, Alonso got booked trying to win it back after Garcia lost it again. So, he could have contributed to two players missing a game further down the line because of his complete incompetence. And he wasnt tackled - he just passed it to the other team, like he does in EVERY SINGLE GAME.
With Garcia in the team, it's like playing ten men against twelve because he passes the ball to them more than us.

For those who disagree, watch the next game that he's starting with a pen and paper. Draw a line down the middle. On the left hand side, put a tick when he does someting right, on the right, tick when he does something wrong. I can guarantee you, the cons will far, far outweigh the pros.

Garcia is footballing equivilant of NTL - incompetent service.
IRISHFAN

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Jedi wrote:What are we going to do about Garcia? While it is unlikely that we'll see a reality TV show in the January transfer window to audition for his replacement, his value to the team is as much a source of debate as ever.

Last Saturdays performance against Fulham served only to provide evidence for both the prosecution and the defence, like many games before it. A peripheral figure for much of the game, then he conjured up a superb header from a distance which, had it been Crouch on the end of Aggers beautiful cross, would have seen the ball bounce more times than a Steve Harmison loosener on its way to the keeper.

The applause which greeted his removal shortly afterwards would surely have been more muted but for this typically outrageous piece of finishing which meant his contribution ended on a high rather than a anti climax.

Garcia falls squarely into the category of "luxury player". The type who entertains, can decide a match with a single flash of skill, but cannot be relied upon when the tough gets going. Need a unexpected flick or a incisive pass to unlock a defence? Luis is your man!!

Need someone to drag you back into a game when your 1 - 0 down and struggling to find any real fluency? Look elsewhere!

No-one gives the ball away more frequently, yet promises so much when in possession of the ball in and around the 18 yard box, think of the great goals of the last 3 years and Garcia will figure prominently.

So is he worth the candle? Surely there must always be room for the flair player? The one who inspires delight and groans in equal measure?  Well yes but you have to choose when and where to play him.

Don't even think about putting him on the wing away from home unless, you want to give the full back behind him an impression of what it was like at the Alamo!

Do pick him for European nights, playing just off the striker, where he can wander and produce some stunning shots and passes. As for the rest your guess is a good as mine.

On balance I am happier when I see Luis's name in the team sheet-  you just have to hope the other 10 players are on form.

In future, you may want to attribute comments like these to the actual author--Andy Proudfoot of the Daily Post in this case--rather than implying that they're your thoughts.  ???

The Original Article
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:30 pm

Jedi = Bluffer

Irish red = Moron
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:34 pm

I did do at the bottom!!
Jedi

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Jedi wrote:I did do at the bottom!!

That attribution was certainly not there when I quoted your entire original post a few minutes ago.  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:41 pm

Bob, it was otherwise it would say edited by.....

Witch hunt this is, Jedi liked he is not  :(
Jedi

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Thats the second time Jedi has edited something and its not said "EDITED BY JEDI ON TODAY".......

Curiouser and curiouser
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Very frustrating player.  At OT last year I was going so annoyed with his performance and then he scores a great goal v chelsea. 

He has tons of ability just gets the basics wrong.  he seems to think giving away the ball doesnt really matter.  A starter every week?  No way.
puroresu

Postby Jedi » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:50 pm

Cat killed by curiousity, it was.
Jedi

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion