Football is a religion ? - ..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 pm

.. Yes but Woof Woof.. Shanks also said what's on my signiture... not quite devine ay  :D :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:00 am

I suppose that at the end of the day, it depends on what your personal view of religion is. To some religion is merely a different way to say belief. To others it is a strict code of conduct and a way of life. If you see your religion as something that controls your life, you can appreciate why some seriously "hardcore" fans do see their club as a church. What I am saying, is that it is all down to perseption. I don't think that anyone can be wrong or right as far as this discussion is concerned.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:33 pm

The Ace1983 wrote:I suppose that at the end of the day, it depends on what your personal view of religion is. To some religion is merely a different way to say belief. To others it is a strict code of conduct and a way of life. If you see your religion as something that controls your life, you can appreciate why some seriously "hardcore" fans do see their club as a church. What I am saying, is that it is all down to perseption. I don't think that anyone can be wrong or right as far as this discussion is concerned.

in your sig it says "death or glory", couldnt you say that is being faithful to your club and would be considered a religious belief in what being a Red fan is.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:51 pm

if football is another religion, can you have two religions at the same time?
Last edited by anfieldadorer on Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:53 pm

like: football 1 and football 2 :D
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:40 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:
The Ace1983 wrote:I suppose that at the end of the day, it depends on what your personal view of religion is. To some religion is merely a different way to say belief. To others it is a strict code of conduct and a way of life. If you see your religion as something that controls your life, you can appreciate why some seriously "hardcore" fans do see their club as a church. What I am saying, is that it is all down to perseption. I don't think that anyone can be wrong or right as far as this discussion is concerned.

in your sig it says "death or glory", couldnt you say that is being faithful to your club and would be considered a religious belief in what being a Red fan is.

Yes it would. But that is personal opinion and applys to life and not just Liverpool. But I agree with you in that football can be related and compared to some religions and their practices. But I personally believe that football support is more like a primitive, "tribal" religion than a modern organised one. I think more of the chanting, warring factions, comradeship, and the anthro-morphology that takes place.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:44 am

The Ace1983 wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:

Yes it would. But that is personal opinion and applys to life and not just Liverpool. But I agree with you in that football can be related and compared to some religions and their practices. But I personally believe that football support is more like a primitive, "tribal" religion than a modern organised one. I think more of the chanting, warring factions, comradeship, and the anthro-morphology that takes place.

i agree as a religion it is more primal that a colaberated religion, but in my opinion i see supporting a team and watching a team flourish over years time gives me more statisfaction than any religion ever would. Primal yes, but in todays age with more means of celebrating that passion of watching your team win in a stadium. More organization has been brought to the fan such things like the internet. Football is slowly becoming a more organized religion.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:51 am

..  as many have said, in what has been an excellent debate so-far, Football can be likened to a religion... but, that feeling of joy and adreline is not something that religion will necessairy give us.. our life experiences, loved ones and relationships provide that rush of joy  .. and football clearly is one of those "life experiences" that has an impact on how we feel... faith contextualizes our experiences, our understanding of such experiences and indeed sets boundaried for us within which we should operate... accompained by laws that govern life.. the Torah, Bible  Quran, the Vidas.. etc.. the only books to accompany the "religion" of football.. are the likes of David Beckhams.. life story :D

Granted.. some will say "I live, eat and think football" .. but in my opinion such things are obsessions.. like stalking someone..  :D

So hey perhaps .. we are all to some extent stalkers... :O

I agree with Ace, in as much as tribal tendancies remain inate within man, and therefore all sports bind "us" together in such a way..

..Religions binds us together in much the same way.. but the "goal" is to attain salvation in the end.. and I rather think the Almighty will not Judge us on what team we cheered for or shed tears over ... :) rather the deeds and actions we indulged in while living our lives and supporting our great club... :)

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:32 pm

zarababe wrote:..  as many have said, in what has been an excellent debate so-far, Football can be likened to a religion... but, that feeling of joy and adreline is not something that religion will necessairy give us.. our life experiences, loved ones and relationships provide that rush of joy  .. and football clearly is one of those "life experiences" that has an impact on how we feel... faith contextualizes our experiences, our understanding of such experiences and indeed sets boundaried for us within which we should operate... accompained by laws that govern life.. the Torah, Bible  Quran, the Vidas.. etc.. the only books to accompany the "religion" of football.. are the likes of David Beckhams.. life story :D

Granted.. some will say "I live, eat and think football" .. but in my opinion such things are obsessions.. like stalking someone..  :D

So hey perhaps .. we are all to some extent stalkers... :O

I agree with Ace, in as much as tribal tendancies remain inate within man, and therefore all sports bind "us" together in such a way..

..Religions binds us together in much the same way.. but the "goal" is to attain salvation in the end.. and I rather think the Almighty will not Judge us on what team we cheered for or shed tears over ... :) rather the deeds and actions we indulged in while living our lives and supporting our great club... :)

i sure as hell wont but the football "bibal" if its beckhams life story lol  :D the guy is a fruit

i wouldnt call it obsession zara, obsession is more of a mind state more than anything else. Football is a passion, something you live for, to support your team through thick and thin and even through relagation you will still be their supporting your team. Football comes from your heart, if someone says your team sucks it hits you right where the blood flows from. The passion of wanting to be with your team every step of the way. football is something you believe in, if you have a bad day at work, you can always come on the internet and read up on your team, which will make you feel better. football is as good as a religion.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:10 pm

.. that's nice CRA.. football is a passion :)

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:14 pm

zarababe wrote:.. that's nice CRA.. football is a passion :)

religion is a passion
football is a passion
football =  religion

thx zara
Last edited by The Canadian Red Army on Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:18 pm

I love Liverpool I am a catholic but gods done some dirty tricks in the past, so the only thing I would consider the 2 to be the same in, is the song IN MY LIVERPOOL HOME, at the end of the song the words are DO YOU WORSHIP AT ANFIELD OR GOODISON PARK.
And anfield it is of cause :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:49 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:religion is a passion
football is a passion
football =  religion

Intersting but slightly flawed. For instance, some people have a passion for stamp collecting or trainspotting, and by the rationel of this formula, thse hobbies could be found to be synonymous with religion, which would mean that they were also interchangable with football, and I don't think I've seen many football fans noting down every number they see and carrying a weak lemon drink.

Looking at the formula now, it actually supports the theory of obsession, rather than religion. However I think that I can help to revise the idea to provide a better arguement for this case

1. Religion contains the elements of passion, community, leaders, and an afterlife.
2. Football contains, passion, community and leaders.
=. Football contains a number of elements that are also found in Religion.

It is not full proof, but it offers, what I think to be, the closest, fairest argument.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:54 pm

I used to go to church every week and had to pray everyday at school, but something happened in my life which was awful and I thought if god excists why did he do this, where as Liverpool have been under achieving for years and I can say ive never lost faith but I have in god :(
So I dont think you can class football to religion.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:15 am

The Ace1983 wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:religion is a passion
football is a passion
football =  religion

Intersting but slightly flawed. For instance, some people have a passion for stamp collecting or trainspotting, and by the rationel of this formula, thse hobbies could be found to be synonymous with religion, which would mean that they were also interchangable with football, and I don't think I've seen many football fans noting down every number they see and carrying a weak lemon drink.

Looking at the formula now, it actually supports the theory of obsession, rather than religion. However I think that I can help to revise the idea to provide a better arguement for this case

1. Religion contains the elements of passion, community, leaders, and an afterlife.
2. Football contains, passion, community and leaders.
=. Football contains a number of elements that are also found in Religion.

It is not full proof, but it offers, what I think to be, the closest, fairest argument.

but for someone who does not believe in god or religion, football is the next best thing.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion