Football is a religion ? - ..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:52 pm

There was an intresting programme on the box tonight.. about the worship of the game.. and how the "lurve" of football is a kin to religious beliefs divided along sectarian lines and obsession...

... all over the world the common language of football is binding and yet so divided.. by firm and fanatical loyalty to one team and or national allegiances ... "win at all cost.. " and "annihalate the enemy ..." :D

.. hooligans were referred to as the fundamentalists.. carrying ther obssession with the game to extreme levels.. almost  the Al Qaeeda of the football world   :upside:

Religion can be a guidance for some.. a salvation for many.. a way to conform.. a question of belief.. having faith... an imposed way to live life.... inculcation... the Pope, the Rabbi or the Imam...

Football is it ... an obsession of choice.. or an inculcation of sorts... from the spirit and sermons of Shankly to the sublime skills of Pele and Maradona... moments of sheer passion and ecstacy ... which can only be expressed when a goal is scored, a one-two comes off and the trophy is won... lost .. remains a goal to attain .. a miracle to be hold...

Is Football a religion...  ???
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:16 am

Football is as close as it gets to being a religion, I suppose to many it is, myself included i think.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:44 am

It's a religion or its a drug, maybe both. I know i'd be blooddy lost without it!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:08 am

its a religion
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:35 am

What is religion?

The english dictionary defines it so:

1)  Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.

2)  A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.

3)  The life or condition of a person in a religious order.

4)  A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.

5)  A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

I think that most football fans would consider numbers 2 and 5 to ring true of their feelings towards the game and or their chosen club, so in my book a religion it is.

Religious people go to church every week to pay homage, I go the match every week and do likewise.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:29 am

The comparrisons that can be made between religion and football are numerous. To many of us, Anfield is a church, Rafa is a preacher and the players are either saints or sinners. Referees are demons, the badge is god and the ninety minutes on the pitch are a sermon. We sing hymms, and pray, so without wanting to sound at all sacreligious, yes, football is a religion. But then again, so is jedi...
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:36 am

.. it is interesting that whilst we pay homage to our teams, the ground, the players, the boss and past glories.. etc..

... the salvation is truly in a winning formula.. we won the game.. we won a trophy .. we won that elusive league.. etc we are world champions.. and for those of us who seek such success.. who have a belief.. who do we turn to in our hour of "please let my team win.. win promotion...my hero score"? .. a supreme power / being.. God..

... the beautiful game is a sport whose following perhaps exceeds the numbers attending churches, temples and mosques.. support of it is akin to belonging to a religion.. but ultimately it is a sport .. one that we are unlikley to be judged against .. if we believe in all that...
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:05 am

zarababe wrote:There was an intresting programme on the box tonight.. about the worship of the game.. and how the "lurve" of football is a kin to religious beliefs divided along sectarian lines and obsession...

... all over the world the common language of football is binding and yet so divided.. by firm and fanatical loyalty to one team and or national allegiances ... "win at all cost.. " and "annihalate the enemy ..." :D

.. hooligans were referred to as the fundamentalists.. carrying ther obssession with the game to extreme levels.. almost  the Al Qaeeda of the football world   :upside:

Religion can be a guidance for some.. a salvation for many.. a way to conform.. a question of belief.. having faith... an imposed way to live life.... inculcation... the Pope, the Rabbi or the Imam...

Football is it ... an obsession of choice.. or an inculcation of sorts... from the spirit and sermons of Shankly to the sublime skills of Pele and Maradona... moments of sheer passion and ecstacy ... which can only be expressed when a goal is scored, a one-two comes off and the trophy is won... lost .. remains a goal to attain .. a miracle to be hold...

Is Football a religion...  ???

in some instances, teams are symbols for different cultures or religion in different parts of the world and this can spurn from the  foundation of clubs:

The rivalry between barcelona and real madrid is a good example. Real were a symbol for fascism in the 40s and 50s and of general Francos oppresion. Barcelona had a following of fans from cataluna who do not want to be part of Spain and want independence. Hence the bitter rivalry(Well, thats t in a nutshell, i dont know all the details).

When these 2 sides meet it is so much more than a game. It divides Spain and for the winners this is like a triumph over those who have beliefs contrary to their own.

Similarly, the city of Glasgow is divided by 2 clubs whose supporters are primarily catholic(celtic) and protestant(rangers). This rivalry has resulted in violence and even death.

In these 2 examples, and a few others, YES, football is a religion. But for the rivalry within the city of liverpool it is less so...a lot less. This rivalry is friendly compared to the 2 others mentioned. Here we have everton and lfc supporters in the same families sometimes and it is strictly about the football. Our rivalry with the scum comes from the fact that our clubs are and always have been the 2 biggest and most succesful in england. For me, football is as Scottbot put it a "drug" for others it is a religion.
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:49 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:its a religion

then the alikes of Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish etc. are Liverpool's religious leaders  :;):
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:36 pm

it is like a religion.
but lets face it, when we get to the pearly gates and have to choose, we'll choose our faith, then go play on the clouds with all the legends.
If religion is something that we show faith in, then football is a religion, but so are many other things.
the fact is, footballis possibly the most important thing at the moment. when we lose the day is ruined. when we win im ecstatic.
but (and i dont mean to sound all 'goddy') to say its religion is slightly blasphemous.
Im not overly religous at all but in the end of the day football games are always there. we always have next season (i know, at the time it happens nothing is worse than losing, im not trivialising anything)

maybe im taking this just a tad too seriously eh?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:09 pm

anfieldadorer wrote:
The Canadian Red Army wrote:its a religion

then the alikes of Shankly, Paisley, Dalglish etc. are Liverpool's religious leaders  :;):

they are the pope's of the religion
all Hail the Pope's of our religion
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:43 pm

i think its going a bit far to call it a religion. it makes a nice programme title for some people but thats about it. sure it raises passions and can provide moments of ecstasy, has a faithful following etc etc... but so does shopping.

followers of a religion generally believe in a more or less strict code of conduct and some form of possible salvation. both of these are missing from football without stretching the metaphor again.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:11 am

Shankley laid the foundations and showed us the dream he is "The Archangel"

Bob Paisley spread the word he is "The Messiah"

Im addicted to football so i need fotballs answer to "AA" :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:29 am

mistyred wrote:Shankley laid the foundations and showed us the dream he is "The Archangel"

Bob Paisley spread the word he is "The Messiah"

Im addicted to football so i need fotballs answer to "AA" :D

if your addicted to football
WHO CARES  :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:52 pm

As Shanks said, "Some people think football is a matter of life and death , it's not. Its much more important than that ."

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion