Is football really professional?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby gabbyh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:48 pm

I often moan to my better half about how awful Liverpool play, especially when I think about how much top footballers are paid per WEEK!!

Formula 1 Racing Drivers are paid Millions per year, but they risk their life every time they race.. OK maybe it is not as exciting as it was in the 70's, and then Ayrton Senna died in the 90's. They still risk their life and they still keep themselves in tip top physical fitness. Michael Schumacher is a shining example.

Doctors? Get paid a pittance in comparison. I wish there was a reality program where footballers followed a doctor for a month. The spoilt brats might learn something. Wayne Rooney might learn something, especially that how lucky he is that he is  skilled at football. To be a doctor you need to be skilled and qualified.
Firemen?
OK. Doctors and Firemen may not be great footballers,  but they have skills, and they are woefully paid.
Reality TV..Footballers work alongside Doctors,Firemen and see how lucky they are to do a job they love and be paid millions, whereas Doctors and Firemen do a job they love and get paid a pittance.
My brother was at Hillsborough as a fan, he is a Fireman by trade. I remember him saying that he had never seen anything like it in his years as a Fireman, and hopes he never will.
gabbyh

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:24 pm

Its an age old question but there are two simple questions that will answer your conundrum....

1)     Would you rather pay to watch an exciting game where underdogs winning, sides down to ten men pull through and the game can turn (ie Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle) many times before the eventual victor is triumphant OR watch cars zoom past at hundreds of miles an hour in a competition where only two teams are likely to produce anything and the title is a formality every year ? ? ?

2)     Would you pay £500.00 to watch your GP every other Saturday, OR your beloved LFC ? ? ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Answer to no 1 is; Football is lucky, there are three teams in the race for the title, and the title is just as much a formality in football as in F1.
Answer to no 2 is; That is not the point, doctors/firemen do not get paid the same a footballers, but they still have to produce the goods every day. Footballers can't even produce the goods once a week.
I just want our spolt footballers to see what it is like in the real world and get their derrieres in gear, stop moaning, keep fit and get on and EARN their money!!
gabbyh

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:45 pm

gabbyh wrote:Answer to no 1 is; Football is lucky, there are three teams in the race for the title, and the title is just as much a formality in football as in F1.
Answer to no 2 is; That is not the point, doctors/firemen do not get paid the same a footballers, but they still have to produce the goods every day. Footballers can't even produce the goods once a week.
I just want our spolt footballers to see what it is like in the real world and get their derrieres in gear, stop moaning, keep fit and get on and EARN their money!!

Who is going to win the league this season then, who will win the championship, the premiera leagua and le championat??

It is not that black and white.

I agree that the Doctors and Nurses get a raw deal, but I have to put it in every day in my job, but no one will ever want to come and cheer me or the doctors on.

Football is the national game, and like it or not it can demand lots of money from me you and Sky, and pay vast sums to their employee's, the players.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gabbyh » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:02 pm

Hands up!
Schumacher will win F1, in Football it could be either Arsenal, Chelsea, or ManU; Liverpool if we get in gear. (prolly not- am not that daft!) God forbid, but Everton are looking good.
Other leagues, am not an expert so would never guess.
I too work my r's off, I don't want people to watch me, I just wish that those we pay to watch realised how lucky they are.
gabbyh

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion