Football is a religion ? - ..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:25 am

Personally I see my following of Liverpool (and therefore the whole football thing) not as a religion but as cult following, a tribal thing as opposed to some ethereal thinking determined by a higher body

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of it being like a new religion but my understanding of religions is different to that, I just can't buy into that idea

I'm actually a committed atheist so maybe I'm missing something brilliant in religion of any faith, but I can't equate my understanding of religion to my understanding of football. That's not to say I see football as an unimportant thing, far from it - I just see football as more tribal than theological

I'd actually be interested in an in-depth discussion on this issue with somebody with real devout religious beliefs, the whole thing fascinates me but probably better done by PM as this is of course a footy forum :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:30 am

Oh, deffinatley. An athiest is free from the constraints of standardised religion and is therefore fully capable of transfering whatever beliefs he/she has on to a more literal form which does not rely on theology, but rather a physical certainty. I personally believe that everyone, everywhere must believe in something to be alive. This transfers into our current thesis, thus:

1. Belief = Alive
2. I believe (in LFC)
=. I am Alive.

Therefore, under the looser terms of this argument, football, for example, can be a substitute for religion, and so can be seen in the eyes of some as a religion itself. Simple really.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:31 am

i had a debate over msn for a good 3-4 months with this really religious christian girl on whether god really exsisted or not. I said he does not, but it ended in a stale mate because believing in a figure like god is more of a state of mind i think. Not to be confused with what i said earlier about stalking, its alot different.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Oh, deffinatley. An athiest is free from the constraints of standardised religion and is therefore fully capable of transfering whatever beliefs he/she has on to a more literal form which does not rely on theology, but rather a physical certainty. I personally believe that everyone, everywhere must believe in something to be alive. This transfers into our current thesis, thus:

1. Belief = Alive
2. I believe (in LFC)
=. I am Alive.

Therefore, under the looser terms of this argument, football, for example, can be a substitute for religion, and so can be seen in the eyes of some as a religion itself. Simple really.

Ace, I like your thinking fella :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:37 am

Well on sept 11th I could not believe that god would let something like that happen TBH.  And with the Tsuami on boxing day I thought wtf ??? . At least we get hurt by poor results in football and not through death by idiots blowing themselves up, or by a freak of nature.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:41 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Well on sept 11th I could not believe that god would let something like that happen TBH.  And with the Tsuami on boxing day I thought wtf ??? . At least we get hurt by poor results in football and not through death by idiots blowing themselves up, or by a freak of nature.

sorry i wont turn this into a political thing, but if god was real why the flip did he create george w. bush
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:43 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Well on sept 11th I could not believe that god would let something like that happen TBH.  And with the Tsuami on boxing day I thought wtf ??? . At least we get hurt by poor results in football and not through death by idiots blowing themselves up, or by a freak of nature.

Lyndz sometimes I think life might be easier if you have a religion, lots of life's downs could be blamed on a higher being rather than searching within one's self for an explanation but things like the tsunami which couldn't possibly have been caused by a human strengthen my belief that there is no higher being. 

Seriously, if there was, he/she wouldn't have allowed that to happen, not least to some of the poorest places on the planet. To me the only higher being is mother nature who decides when and where we'll all go
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:44 am

Ah yes, but the major difficulty that God, Allah, Visnu, and all the other dieties have is that they are perfect. In the sense we use this word now, this means great, brilliant, wonderful. But in the religious sense this means that you are "everything" which means that God is as much evil as he is good. The Hindu trinity explain this best as they have The Creater, The Maintainer and The Destroyer. I'm not saying that God is bad, I'm saying that he is perfect and unfortunatley this means he must do as many wrongs as he does rights, though of course to him, there is no wrong or right. To him (or her, it, that, whatever) there is no justice, their is just him.

Can you tell I took A-level Philosophy?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:45 am

The Canadian Red Army wrote:

sorry i wont turn this into a political thing, but if god was real why the flip did he create george w. bush

F*cking good point CRA :D

Having said that, Dubya thinks he's on a personal mission from "God", as do far too many yanks I fear :(
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:45 am

but dont you think god exsisted the planet would get kinda boring?
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:47 am

god is in the eye of the beholder, so whether or not he really exists in any form is irrelevant
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:48 am

Woollyback wrote:god is in the eye of the beholder, so whether or not he really exists in any form is irrelevant

that is very true woolly
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:50 am

Woollyback wrote:god is in the eye of the beholder, so whether or not he really exists in any form is irrelevant

that is very true woolly

God and Athieism ARE both in the eye of the beholder, but I fail to see how one's faith or lack of it can be considered irrelivant?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:50 am

Woollyback wrote:

F*cking good point CRA :D

Having said that, Dubya thinks he's on a personal mission from "God", as do far too many yanks I fear :(

Same can be said about others aswell wooly but im not going to get into an arguement on religion, cause it sucks big time.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:52 am

No, and religion can be sent to General Chat.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion