FABIO BORINI- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 am

No matter what everyones opinion is on Fabio the lad is still our player and we will need the whole of our squad for the rest of the season

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am

killerp » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 am wrote:I would not give Boroni any more time, once he recovers in the shop window he goes.

When will we learn not to sign injury prone Italians!!!!

Have we really seen enough of him? Must admit I haven't been impressed but I would hate not to give him a chance in a team that is playing well. Does look to have serious problems with being injured very easily. Not sure what I would do. Most of us would have willingly accepted five quid and a packet of crisps for Downing before Christmas but that certainly is no longer the case with most supporters. Lucas is another example of giving somebody a chance. I think we possibly need a bit more patience.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:58 am

Im sure hes a decent player when fit, but what Ive seen of him does not fill me with hope that he will become a crucial part of our team
Maybe, like Morientes or Aquilani, or Keane, its just not meant to be?
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 am

Come on lads be fair, the lad hasn't had a chance to prove himself. I'm normally fairly black and white with players but I think this lad needs another season. H';s young so it won't affect his prospects nor his value. He's no Aqualani time bomb waiting to go off for example.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:22 am

Reg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:04 am wrote:Come on lads be fair, the lad hasn't had a chance to prove himself. I'm normally fairly black and white with players but I think this lad needs another season. H';s young so it won't affect his prospects nor his value. He's no Aqualani time bomb waiting to go off for example.

"Aquilani time bomb waiting to go off"?
What can you mean Reginald??
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Aquaboy didnt want to hang around and was quite content to take the money. Yes he was a good player but clearly his heart wasn't in the job.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 am

thought he overdid it with the screaming myself  :lookaround
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:12 am

On Fabio Borini : Most Fans know that BR signed him for Liverpool on the basis of his successful loan spell at Swansea. What fans might not realsie is that he only played NINE games for Swansea scoring 5 goals and winning a  penalty in the Play Off final to help Swansea make the Premier League for the first time in their history so he is a bit of a legend there.

He obviously hit the ground running whilst at Swansea but I've seen very little impact at Liverpool. Of course it's a big step up for the lad in the Prem and time may well tell if he can achieve at this club or this level.

His injury means we won't discover that until next season but we all hope by then the team/squad will be a bit more settled and the experience of playing together more. However with players like Sturridge and Suarez, Coutinho and the resurgence of Henderson his chances may be few and far between.....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:27 am

Just remember he is younger than the likes of Coates, Henderson, Kelly, Allen and Spearing. He struggled to make an impact at the beginning of the season in a team that wasn’t functioning very well from an attacking point of view. He hasn’t got the individual qualities to make things happen by himself but I think he is the type of player to get quite a few simple goals and scrappy goals. If he had stayed fit and played I think he would have scored 7 or 8 league goals by now.
Eagle

Postby heimdall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Dalglish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:12 pm wrote:On Fabio Borini : Most Fans know that BR signed him for Liverpool on the basis of his successful loan spell at Swansea. What fans might not realsie is that he only played NINE games for Swansea scoring 5 goals and winning a  penalty in the Play Off final to help Swansea make the Premier League for the first time in their history so he is a bit of a legend there.

He obviously hit the ground running whilst at Swansea but I've seen very little impact at Liverpool. Of course it's a big step up for the lad in the Prem and time may well tell if he can achieve at this club or this level.

His injury means we won't discover that until next season but we all hope by then the team/squad will be a bit more settled and the experience of playing together more. However with players like Sturridge and Suarez, Coutinho and the resurgence of Henderson his chances may be few and far between.....

Sorry but we are a step up in what way, I can only imagine you mean in prestige because in footballing terms we are exactly like Swansea. From what I've seen of him he has great positional sense but that's about it, he has a terrible shot and is far to light weight plus his work rate sucks.
heimdall

Postby parchpea » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:58 pm

The trouble these lads have is clubs cannot afford to wait forever to see a
contribution and especially when they have invested good money and paying
decent wages.

Borini had a clear run in the team when he signed on but after a stuttering start
and injury already players are coming in to take his position with no doubt more
arriving in the summer when he could be further down the pecking order.

If we do recruit someone like Ince and another centre forward I can see Borini
being loaned out with a view to buy as we cant afford to carry passengers.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Dalglish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 am

heimdall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm wrote:
Dalglish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:12 pm wrote:On Fabio Borini : Most Fans know that BR signed him for Liverpool on the basis of his successful loan spell at Swansea. What fans might not realsie is that he only played NINE games for Swansea scoring 5 goals and winning a  penalty in the Play Off final to help Swansea make the Premier League for the first time in their history so he is a bit of a legend there.

Sorry but we are a step up in what way, I can only imagine you mean in prestige because in footballing terms we are exactly like Swansea. From what I've seen of him he has great positional sense but that's about it, he has a terrible shot and is far to light weight plus his work rate sucks.

Well if you can't see that playing for LFC is a big step up from turning out for Swansea in the Championship at the end of a season where they were flying and firing on all cylinders in a team full of confidence and superiority I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain  :D

If LFC isn't a big step up then why did BR leave Swansea to manage us ?

Borini has great positional sense ? Hardly a ringing endorsement is it when we shell out best part of 8Million on a Striker who hasn't scored a single goal and didn't look like he was going to either.

Borini was a punt and its not paid off so far. I don't pick the team but if I did Borini would be well down the pecking order with or without a dislocated shoulder !
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 am

Patience, patience.....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Dalglish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:02 am wrote:
heimdall » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm wrote:

Well if you can't see that playing for LFC is a big step up from turning out for Swansea in the Championship at the end of a season where they were flying and firing on all cylinders in a team full of confidence and superiority I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain  :D

If LFC isn't a big step up then why did BR leave Swansea to manage us ?

Borini has great positional sense ? Hardly a ringing endorsement is it when we shell out best part of 8Million on a Striker who hasn't scored a single goal and didn't look like he was going to either.

Borini was a punt and its not paid off so far. I don't pick the team but if I did Borini would be well down the pecking order with or without a dislocated shoulder !

Ok so basically you agree with me.  :D
heimdall

Postby Reg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Fabio Borini: Reasons to Believe He Will Come Good at Liverpool

By Mark Jones(Featured Columnist) on March 5, 2013

Amidst all of the praise directed at Luis Suarez and the excitement at the arrival of Daniel Sturridge, there is a forgotten man amongst the Liverpool strike force.

It hasn’t helped when, after struggling to adapt upon his arrival from Roma, the Italian international youngster Fabio Borini broke his foot when training with the Italian under-21 side. Just a few short weeks after his return, Borini then dislocated a shoulder and ended his campaign before it ever got going.

It was a far cry from early August, when Borini struck his first and so far only goal for the Reds in the Europa League qualifying victory over the Belarusian side FC Gomel at Anfield. It was the Italian’s home debut, and much was expected of him.

Reds fans weren’t exactly looking at him as the finished article, or the type of player who could immediately slot into the team and provide the perfect goalscoring foil for Suarez, but Borini’s previous unions with new boss Brendan Rodgers at Chelsea youth levels and then in the first team at Swansea at least indicated that excitement wasn’t too hard to muster. He was going to be a valuable addition.

Roma had seemed reluctant to let the 21-year-old―who has one cap for the senior national team and was part of the squad which reached the final of Euro 2012―leave in the summer, and given that the Reds were suddenly looking incredibly thin on the ground in the attacking department it was a welcome move.

Craig Bellamy and Dirk Kuyt had left, whilst Andy Carroll was soon to follow, and so Borini’s ability to play all across the forward line was supposed to prove vital.

In the event, the Reds’ failure to bring their much-discussed pursuit of Clint Dempsey to a successful conclusion at the closure of the summer transfer window saw pressure heaped on Borini. Now he was required to step up and score the goals that the team were lacking from other departments. His body proved not to be up to the task.

Now forced to his familiar spot on the sidelines for the remainder of the campaign, Borini has an opportunity to watch and learn.

He is sure to be linked with a move away from the Reds (Daily Mail) as another summer of upheaval approaches, but with Suarez shining and Sturridge taking to life at his new club like a duck does to water, Borini should be able to observe the pair and learn what it will take to provide better backup to them next season.

His early experiences in England―and Wales―make his much more than just the usual story of a young foreign player struggling to adapt, and if Borini can approach a more consistent level of fitness next season then his is a Liverpool career which can still be salvaged. It is far too early to write him off yet.

One of the biggest differences between Liverpool and the teams they are now chasing at the top of the game over recent times has been their relative dearth of striking options. When a team such as Manchester United are chasing a goal they have the ability to bring on a Javier Hernandez or a Danny Welbeck. When in the same position, Liverpool have been relying on unproven youngsters.

There is still much about Borini which remains unproven of course―not least his ability to stand up to the rigours of a full campaign―but the forward could provide welcome backup to Suarez and Sturridge next season. With the likes of Philippe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling and Stewart Downing around too, then a team which has often struggled for goals may have the potential to fire many in 2013/14, just as they have been doing in recent weeks.

Borini has missed out on those goal-filled afternoons and evenings, but hopefully they’ve inspired him towards thinking about just what he could achieve next season.

The Italian still has a future at Liverpool.

He doesn’t have to be the forgotten man forever.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion