Europa league - Here we come

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:00 pm

Still can't believe we are in this comp now. Id have rather we went out of Europe altogether. It's not like Rafa will play only reserves in this.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 pm

There are plenty of teams in the competition that are arguably better than Fiorentina and Lyon, and that is without considering the teams that are going to join from the Champions League. It is not an easy competition to win.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:05 pm

bavlondon wrote:Still can't believe we are in this comp now. Id have rather we went out of Europe altogether. It's not like Rafa will play only reserves in this.

hey the way our player keep getting hurt that might well happen.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:45 am

In our current form & injuries we would not have gotten to far in the CL anyway.

Europa League ain't as easy as it sound, these teams can still give you a run for your money.
killerp

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:50 am

killerp wrote:In our current form & injuries we would not have gotten to far in the CL anyway.

Europa League ain't as easy as it sound, these teams can still give you a run for your money.

but we wont be on our current form and the injury situation will (hopefully) be different by the time the knockout stages come around.
JoeTerp

Postby iCampbell » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:35 am

No doubt we'll have to face Villa, Silva and Mata in this comp and they'll show why we've been linked to them so much.
iCampbell

Postby shawnk » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:59 am

Best time to try out new formation, new players and/or new position to prepare for next season or future.
shawnk

Postby milou » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:33 am

After the reality sunk in, I do not feel too badly now about us going out of UCL TBH. Let's face it, with our kind of performance.. there is NO fecking way we could win that thing this year! I almost "prefer" Europa now bcos we will almost certainly go on a better run, with the possibility of winning it. But mind you, it won't be easy either bcos there are some big teams there as well.

Ya I know we will lose money blah blah blah but we don't quite care as fans until it bites us. I can guarantee that our early exit from UCL will come back to haunt rafa when he gets his transfer kit next season (if he can last that long).. and we fans don't even know the happenings behind the scene most of the time.

I don't think the excitement would be anything less and we will be back to supporting the team in europa very soon.. I can bet on that. 

Despite what others might say now, it is NOT a small cup. We would rejoice if we win the cup.. just like back in 2001.
milou

Postby red_guy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:02 am

with our current form, i can only see us capable of winning the intertoto cup...the other top 4 are the team to beat and as for us atm, we're more of a team any other team can beat... :(
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby milou » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:10 am

red_guy wrote:with our current form, i can only see us capable of winning the intertoto cup...the other top 4 are the team to beat and as for us atm, we're more of a team any other team can beat... :(

Don't despair.. injured players are returning and it will only get better from here.. mark my words.

Unfortunately, it is too little too late for UCL and EPL, of which the latter is mathematically still possible to win! :p
milou

Postby boodiddy1 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:48 am

benfica, valencia, liverpool. One of them three will win it. I mean, even bayern could drop into it.

I'd love to play the bitters in the semi's. Bring it on.
boodiddy1

Postby Rush Job » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:41 am

Hopefully we take this chance to play some of the promising youngsters we have, we should go all out for the league and FA cup.
Making sure we are in the CL next season is an absolute must, fk gettin SG and Torres injured playing in some Romanian back water
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:16 pm

According to this writer for the Daily Mirror we have been installed as 6/1 favourites to win the competition, with it 16/1 that we will meet Everton in the draw. Not sure if the bookies have actually seen us recently as if they had then surely we would not have been given the favourites tag.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:58 pm

Hadn't seen this thread about the Europa League so posted my thoughts in the Debrechen match thread. Anyways I've just copied them into this thread, so here are my two pence on the subject:

Well I for one would like to win the EL (heck, I'd just like to win SOMETHING this season :D) but the trouble is that it won't exactly be that easy: there are quite a few very good teams in there and many at around the level of Lyon and Fiorentina. Furthermore there is a round more than in the CL knockout phase (which incidentally also shoots down the claim that "at least it gives us more time to focus on the league" - it actually gives us LESS free midweeks if we get far). Therefore I'm a bit worried that it might still distract our fight for fourth place and at what cost? On the other hand - as I stated to begin with - I would like to win something this season, so I guess you could say I'm somewhat torn on the matter, as I don't want to win at the cost of missing out on CL next year (which would be the worst thing to happen for our club in the current situation imo).
JamCar05

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:59 pm

We are in it now. May as well win it. UEFA could make this comp more attractive if they upped the prize money as well as maybe offered a CL place to the winner.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion