Eto'o in the summer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:46 pm

If Barcelona let Eto'o go in the summer it would be the worst piece of footballing business since Houllier was allowed to spend the best part of £15m on the duds from Senegal (Diouf and Diao).

Eto'o is literally a striker who has it all. Blistering pace, energy to burn, brilliant footballing skills, technical ability, finishing, and a desire to be the best. He is almost a perfect striker in my eyes and you would struggle to name a striker better than him in the world at present. He has had his injury problems this year and also his greatly publicised off the field problems with Ronaldinho and Frank Rijkard but I highly doubt Barcelona would let him go. Theres no use talking of money - Barcelona are swimming in it. Their style of football is also vastly different to ours and to be honest would suit Eto'o better, more direct, attacking etc. There pedigree as a football club is up there with the best of them (including us) and could be argued they are the best club in the world at the moment. There stadium is fantastic and there fans love Eto'o. Why would he want to, and why would they let him go?

However if you delve a little deeper, there are a few possible promising signs. Firstly his spat with the manager and Ronaldinho - he seems to have a grudge with the way the goofy one is treated, he seems to be able to do what he wants and the club just go along. Eto'o is not happy about this and rightly said so. There was that PR stunt with them hugging and kissing but lets be honest would you be happy if you were Eto'o? There is obviously a grudge there somewhere and if push came to shove, who would Barcelona keep, Eto'o or the million shirt selling Ronaldinho?

Secondly the racism that is present is Spanish football is absolutely disgusting and eto'o has been on the receiving end of this first hand. Remember him trying to leave the field against someone? Would you want to play in a country where the colour of your skin somehow devalued you to the paying masses? I wouldn't.

Thirdly and possibly most importantly, the Premiership is widely reguarded as the best league in the world now. Its the most popular world wide, as you can see with the new TV deals that the clubs have struck. Its watched by billions of people on the planet and watch player in the right mind would not want to play in the best league in the world? Some may say Milan, Inter, Real or any other top European team would want him, but think about it, why would he go anywhere else than the Premiership, the new money obviously is going to mean better wages, the new TV deal will mean a bigger audience and as the sudden influx of foreign owners have proved - the Premiership is where its at in todays football.

A major stickling point with many fans from Barcelona and Liverpool, is that IF he does leave, he would want to go to Chelsea. I had heard Barcelona fans say it, Liverpool fans, Everton fans and even Tranmere fans! And to be honest I am quite convinced that if he does leave Barcelona in the summer, Chelsea certainly won't be his destination. How? Think about it, think back. Firstly just a minor point - remember the treatment he and his teammates received at Chelsea in 2005, the ugly scenes at the end of the match? What type of impression did that leave on him?

Secondly and my most potent argument is Drogba is at Chelsea and after this season he is a hero there. Both being African and both being brilliant, Eto'o and Drogba have always had a rivalry namely over the African Player of the Year award. There have always been having little digs at each other and sometimes its got quite nasty between them. Why on earth would Eto'o go somewhere were he is going to be 2nd choice behind Drogba. Say what you want about Drogba but he is brilliant. And after this season he will definetly be Chelseas top dog next year. Eto'o would not want to go to a club where his is 2nd fiddle to his major rival.

I don't honestly know what to make of it all, to be honest and I doubt whether Barcelona would let him go. But if things are as bad as its meant to be there, then for me Liverpool seems his perfect destination.He's experienced Anfield in full flow the other week and what player would not of been impressed by that. The "new" owners and their money is obviously a big plus for us and shows Eto'o how we are committed to be challenging every year for major honours. Our history and our recent European success must have some sort of influence and the fact that Rafa has chased him so vigourously in the past must mean something. I think a player like Eto'o likes to be loved, he thrives on the fans adulation and to be honest, at this time where Liverpool are crying out for a top class striker, there's nowhere in the world where he would get the love and reception that the Anfield faithful will lavish on him.

Come on Eto'o , get that passport out and come and join the greatest club in the world.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:20 pm

It's a good post Rafa, although you don't need much more arguements than "Liverpool Football Club" and what it means to try to convince a player. Every decent Spanish player that is asked about the other leagues that they admire talk about the english football. They might think we play better football, but they have that respect to the country that invented the whole thing. I can remember players like Raul or Butragueño speaking that they wouldn't consider playing against Real Madrid in La Liga, and if they had to leave, England would be a lovely country. And you know what's the club with most silverware and respect in England, Liverpool. So you don't need much more than that to convince somebody.

Yet I comment a couple of points

Secondly the racism that is present is Spanish football is absolutely disgusting and eto'o has been on the receiving end of this first hand. Remember him trying to leave the field against someone? Would you want to play in a country where the colour of your skin somehow devalued you to the paying masses? I wouldn't.

In fact, players like Henry have said that where as they fancy the Spanish football, they couldn't play under such racist shouts, that's the reason why they'd never come to Barcelona. Henry was very clear about that. All that is a shame, and it happens, but in the defence of my football I must specify that this racist chants happen in certain and well known stadiums. Not every club has this kind of supporters.

Eto'o is literally a striker who has it all. Blistering pace, energy to burn, brilliant footballing skills, technical ability, finishing, and a desire to be the best.

right about good pace, right about the good finishing, right about the technical ability, and absolutely spot on about the desire to be the best. TEchnically Bergkamp and Kluivert, not to mention Romario were far better than Eto'o. Kluivert was smart and technical, yet his finishing wasn't good enough.

My point is that perhaps  in each of the attributes you mention you can find a better player than Eto'o, but since he's good in several attributes that makes of him an excellent striker. His finishing is good, but not that good: he scores a lot because he knows creating a lot of chances. If you ask me Henry is better. But then, I think he'd be a great signing for us.

Rijkaard had some troubles with him as his discipline is somewhat lousy. He gets angry when subbed, he declares he doesn't like be rotated... the desire to be the best is sometimes a sword of two sides.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:33 pm

Sabre wrote:he declares he doesn't like be rotated...

now am i the only one that see s a problem with that!!!!

rafa rotates the strikers more than anyone else to keep the freshness there

would he enjoy rafa's discipline  who knows
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:35 pm

Obviously you get to see him week in week out over there mate, and you analysis is worth far more than mine on the matter. I just think the lads quality.

The problems you mention about the rotation and his discipline are obvious concerns but I feel that Rafa is far more stricter and far more respected than Rijkard is by the players. Rafa has built up a brilliant reputation for himself and the players give him the respect he deserves.

And my post was not a knock on the Spanish league and the fans in general.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:41 pm

When I first mentioned to a mate of mine about this story recently, he surprisingly made the suggestion that Rafa might offer Alonso + cash to land Eto'o'. Personally I think that's nonsense. Rafa would sell Gerrard before Alonso imo.

For me Xabi wont be going anywhere unless he says listen, I want out. He's too important and Rafa immediately jumped on him when he came. He's a real classy player and I personally am chuffed to bits to see a player like him in a red shirt, he just oozes class. People talk about swift and elegant players like Kaka, Ronaldinho and so on and I wouldn't swap Xabi for any of them.

You can never rule anything out in football unless it's absolutely crazy but I just can't see a player like Xabi Alonso going, not for anybody and certainly not cheaply. He's settled in, enjoys the english game which has become a rarity in our Spanish lads, he's young although you wouldn't think it the way he plays and he still hasn't hit his peak. He's just an outstanding player.

I think the more than likely reason for Mascherano's arrival is simply this, he's a quality young player who adds, depth, stability and quality to our midfield and he's a totaly different player to anybody currently in our midfield. Rafa has just replaced the hole with a better Didi Hamann and I think Rafa will seriously consider going back to five in the middle at some point. We have an immense midfield now, truly immense.

Another reason why I dont think anything like an Alonso swap will happen is because I think we'll have enough money to buy players who we want in the summer and if Eto'o is there for the taking, I highly doubt our new owners will let a player of his quality slip away to rival clubs unless we're talking obscene amounts.
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:42 pm

Obviously you get to see him week in week out over there mate, and you analysis is worth far more than mine on the matter. I just think the lads quality.

The problems you mention about the rotation and his discipline are obvious concerns but I feel that Rafa is far more stricter and far more respected than Rijkard is by the players. Rafa has built up a brilliant reputation for himself and the players give him the respect he deserves.

And my post was not a knock on the Spanish league and the fans in general.

Don't worry mate, I think your criticism to those chants was fair. Simple as that, it's a shame and it must be said.

I also think he's a great striker! perhaps not as good as you described but a great striker anyway.

And about Rijkaard-Benitez comparison I agree. But then we must remember that Eto'o has played for Mallorca under Luis Aragones and in Real Madrid B.

In Real Madrid B it was the first time to refuse to play some minutes when he was in the bench, that's to say, his recent event in Barcelona is not new.

In Mallorca he had a terrible clash with a personality like Luis'. They said each other harsh things, but then everything changed and Luis became some sort of a father for Eto'o. He even has adviced after his recent outburst in the press. My point is wherever he has been, he had some troubles. I think he's the kind of guy who say what he thinks, but he doesn't think what he says and that means trouble.

Other incidents were more funny, like the one when he won his first league in Barcelona. He took a micro and shouted : "Madrid Cabrón, saluda al campeon" which would be like shouting "Madrid :censored:, salute the winners". That brought a lot of polemics as cabrón is a quite offensive shout, but then it would be funny to hear an english version about the mancs :laugh:

All in all, if I was to choose, I'd happily have him here.

P.s. The video of the "Madrid Cabrón". He first thanks everybody he then start his outburst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEXYoWNyqlo  :D

Another minor trouble with Etoo is the international games. He always plays with Cameroon and when there's the Africa's cup you lose him in the midde of the season!
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:16 am

Haha, that video is hillarious Sabre, imagine if somebody started a chant like in the premiership :laugh:
RedRoots

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:09 pm

Eto has done it and seen it. Hes got all the money in the world and has nothing to prove. Villa on the outher hand is only just establishing himself on the world stage and still has it all to prove. Eto may not have the hunger any more.
grayghost

Postby puroresu » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:36 pm

I dont think Eto being in african nations is a problem.  This is just a fact of life which many teams have to face.
puroresu

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:56 pm

yer thats not the problem but what could be the problem Eto is a bit of a prima doona and he will defo think his top dog at anfeld and when he finds out thats not the case cus that belongs to SG and JC how will he react. I mean look at Shev and Bollck at Chelse top dogs at there outher clubs but when they came to chelse and Lampost and Terry are the fans fav they have't seet the prem alight.:)
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:59 pm

yer thats not the problem but what could be the problem Eto is a bit of a prima doona and he will defo think his top dog at anfeld and when he finds out thats not the case cus that belongs to SG and JC how will he react. I mean look at Shev and Bollck at Chelse top dogs at there outher clubs but when they came to chelse and Lampost and Terry are the fans fav they have't set the prem alight.:)
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:00 pm

:censored: made a mistake my bad sorry.:D
grayghost

Postby Dimshen » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:22 pm

grayghost wrote:Eto has done it and seen it. Hes got all the money in the world and has nothing to prove. Villa on the outher hand is only just establishing himself on the world stage and still has it all to prove. Eto may not have the hunger any more.

i take the point about Eto'o not having anything to prove, his hunger to succeed is not going to be on the same level as a villa or torres, but i cant help but think he would improve our team so much with his ability it would provide the missing link we have all been waiting so long for.

Even so, you would like to believe that he would come out of the blocks hard at a new club and if it comes off for him, i tend to think it will come off for the club as a whole...

...all we need is that illusive good start to a prem season and the skys the limit.
Dimshen

Postby Rafa D » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Eto'o banged in 2 tonight and looked good as Barcelona wiped the floor with Recreativo and won 4 - 0.

On the subject of Eto'o and his desire, grayghost you are very much mistaken. Eto'o has a burning desire in him to be the best and you see this every time he takes to the field. Its his desire to be the best that makes him such an attractive propersition to any club in the world.

Eto'o has the heart and the desire to be a success, and thats all you can ask of any player. He's world class because he has the skills to go with it.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:23 am

Etoo would be the same kinda liability as El Hadji Dickhead. Its not Liverpool's way, Ánglo Saxons struggle to accept lads with wierd attitudes. I'd take Villa who would fit in with the manager and rest of the squad from the first day.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion