Eto'o in the summer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kopite_1232002 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:25 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Not sure about Eto'o

May be asking for too much.

I wonder if a more economical option exists.

I think we also need to add some "steel" players to the squad too. Some leg crunchers.

Sometimes we get out-muscled.

i have said that for a while. dont get me wrong momo alonso and SG will all go in for a tackle. but i think a centre mid player with a mouth on them wudnt go a miss.

a proper cocky nasty peice of work. attitue like razor or soey

but we do need a striker who is going to put the ball in the back ofthe net. bellamy is decent kuyt cant nok him for his work rate but proved he aint as clinical in the prem, maby that will come nest year.

robbie fowler is still the best finisher on the books
kopite_1232002

Postby azriahmad » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 pm

Souness has attitude but also great talent, loads of determination and such a sore loser which turned him into such a determined individual. The decision of Bob Paisley to make him captain in 1981/82 in place of Thommo was one of the best decisions and I thought Souness should have been made captain even before that.

On Eto'o, he is a great player who also has similarities in character with Souness - very determined and talented - that he reportedly gives his all even in training. He also works incredibly hard for the team, he doesn't lurk around just waiting to pounce like van Horseface, but drops deep from time to time to link with his midfielders and starts attacks. His so-called tantrums at Barca may have been painted as "Eto'o's ego" but I have read a lot that Rijkaard does give Ronaldinho a leeway and Eto'o may have felt unappreciated comparfed to Ronaldinho despite his phenomenal contributions.

Although the transfer fee will be very high, IMHO he would be a great addition with his ability and attitude. The only thing is that he may not like being rotated.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:51 pm

Just for the sake of especulation. Most of the mates around here think that we need a better striker. What if Barcelona proposed a change, say, Alonso for Etoo+MOney? would you consider it? ???
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:54 pm

Sabre wrote:Just for the sake of especulation. Most of the mates around here think that we need a better striker. What if Barcelona proposed a change, say, Alonso for Etoo+MOney? would you consider it? ???

30m + etoo in exchange for alonso... ill accept  :D
Last edited by metalhead on Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am

Sabre wrote:Just for the sake of especulation. Most of the mates around here think that we need a better striker. What if Barcelona proposed a change, say, Alonso for Etoo+MOney? would you consider it? ???

When this story first surfaced the other week I knew that the question of Alonso being involved in a deal would soon be brought up and for a split second I DID consider it.  :Oo:

And then I realised even throwing Eto'o in Barca still couldn't afford him!  :laugh:

Seriouisly though I just don't think that allowing Alonso to leave would be any good for the progression of the team; it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that he is key to our midfield as much as Gerrard is.
If Alonso is allowed to leave I really could only see it either being a long time in the future or him requesting a move.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:12 am

Not for all the tea in China.

Eto'o is a truely brilliant striker, but removing Alonso from the team would wreck everything Rafa has built, as it's his continued presence which holds our entire team together.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:55 am

the consensus is that we are going to go after a big name world class striker in the summer for big dollars, possibly eto'o possibly villa possibly fill in the blank.  If we do this I would imagine our normal strikeforce would be kuyt and whomever we acquire.  that being the case what is to happen with bellamy and crouch?  sell one? sell both?  they both have nice qualities to keep around bellamy's pace and crouch's height, but I am sure one of them would not be happy being the 4th option even if it was on a 1st place or treble team.
JoeTerp

Postby weringo » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:12 am

JoeTerp wrote:the consensus is that we are going to go after a big name world class striker in the summer for big dollars, possibly eto'o possibly villa possibly fill in the blank.  If we do this I would imagine our normal strikeforce would be kuyt and whomever we acquire.  that being the case what is to happen with bellamy and crouch?  sell one? sell both?  they both have nice qualities to keep around bellamy's pace and crouch's height, but I am sure one of them would not be happy being the 4th option even if it was on a 1st place or treble team.

I wouldn't want either of Crouch or Bellamy to leave, they both offer something different coming off the bench and are both certainly good enough to start a game which would fit into Rafa's rotation policy. Although with Voromin coming in it would be hard to keep all 5 strikers happy, so one would have to leave unfortunately.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:27 am

Eto will not be coming to Liverpool I'll put my house on it, likely scenerio Henry goes to Barca he goes to the @rse, or Eto goes to Chelsea, or just stays a the Camp Nou.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:03 pm

I suppose another way you could look at it is that a top class goalscorer such as Eto'o would just increase our eventual winning margin. Similarly, even if we got three top class goalscorers (Eto, Villa and Bent) in the summer and started as badly as we have in the last two seasons the league will be gone anyway.

A good start to the next campaign is FAR FAR more important for our title challenge than another striker. It doesn't matter how good your strikers are. If you've lost 3 or 4 games by the end of September you've got no chance.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:28 pm

sabre what about zenden + money :D
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 pm

stmichael wrote:even if we got three top class goalscorers (Eto, Villa and Bent) in the summer

st mike    BENT WORLD CLASS, have you started the weekend early mate
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:39 pm

redmikey wrote:
stmichael wrote:even if we got three top class goalscorers (Eto, Villa and Bent) in the summer

st mike    BENT WORLD CLASS, have you started the weekend early mate

:D I wish.

I never called him world class, I said he was a top class goalscorer, which he is (in this league). Last season he scored 18 Premiership goals in a poor side. Whatever way you look at it, 18 goals in the Prem is 18 goals in the Prem and that's twice what any of our strikers have achieved so far. Although Charlton were set up to play around him, how many times has Owen scored 18 Premiership goals in a season, in a team set up for him and that was ALSO in the top four?

It's all hypothetical anyway.  :D
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 pm

stmichael wrote:I suppose another way you could look at it is that a top class goalscorer such as Eto'o would just increase our eventual winning margin. Similarly, even if we got three top class goalscorers (Eto, Villa and Bent) in the summer and started as badly as we have in the last two seasons the league will be gone anyway.

A good start to the next campaign is FAR FAR more important for our title challenge than another striker. It doesn't matter how good your strikers are. If you've lost 3 or 4 games by the end of September you've got no chance.

With the strikers you mentioned and our current players also we may not have lost any of those games let alone all of them.
We battered Chelsea at the bridge and lost, we alos had far more clear cur chances against Everton and lost, United we were really poor, but someone like Eto'o or Villa might only need one chance, rather like Drogba did against us at the bridge.
Blackburn,Newcastle away we missed hatfulls of chances, united Barca at home again far too many chances spurned.

A top class goalscorer might just take this team to the next level.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:54 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
stmichael wrote:I suppose another way you could look at it is that a top class goalscorer such as Eto'o would just increase our eventual winning margin. Similarly, even if we got three top class goalscorers (Eto, Villa and Bent) in the summer and started as badly as we have in the last two seasons the league will be gone anyway.

With the strikers you mentioned and our current players also we may not have lost any of those games let alone all of them.
We battered Chelsea at the bridge and lost, we alos had far more clear cur chances against Everton and lost, United we were really poor, but someone like Eto'o or Villa might only need one chance, rather like Drogba did against us at the bridge.
Blackburn,Newcastle away we missed hatfulls of chances, united Barca at home again far too many chances spurned.

A top class goalscorer might just take this team to the next level.

There's no 'might' about it Ace.

A top class striker will definitely take this team to the next level.  Since Owen went we've not had a top goalscorer at this club.

The current crop aren't good enough unfortunately.  Kuyt is worth his place in the team for his hold up play, workrate and the way he makes space for others.  I believe his scoring rate will pick up and he'll do better next season, but he's not going to be the type of player who'll score 20+ premiership goals.  Bellamy and Crouch are good players, but miss too many chances to be first choice strikers at a club like Liverpool.  I think one of those 2 will be sold in the summer, and depending who we can bring in, maybe both.  I don't think Fowler will be here next season, Voronin will most likely fill his role of 4th striker.

The team is crying out for a first-choice striker who has pace to play along side the slower Kuyt and who will score goals.  Eto'o fits the bill and if rumours are to be believed he'll be available for the right price in the summer.

To be honest though I'll be surprised if we get him, every top club in Europe will trying to sign him.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion