Eto'o in the summer?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:06 pm

As mentioned in the transfer rumour thread, reports today circulate that we have been given the blue light to go and sign Samuel Eto'oo in the summer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport....ge.html

Now like every Liverpool fan I'd love to see this come off but would they sell for £20m though? Can't see that myself, not when Chelsea will probably offer double just to stop him moving elsewhere. However I'm also led to believe Chelsea are really up Valencia's ar$e for Villa. Serious bidding from Chelsea according to Balague and Hunter and numerous other sources so hopefully if there is anything to this then Chelsea will be out the way. Eto'o could be the sort of signing the new owners want to make as a statement of intent. Add to that the bad blood between Barca and the chavs, and it doesn't seem totally ridiculous that he would come here.

Just a word of caution though. Every summer we go through this. After we won the Champions League some ludicrously suggested we had £40-50m to spend net. Then last summer people started believing we'd pay some absurd amount for new players, we didn't.

Now because of the investment people are off on one again on every forum believing we have more money than we know what to do with. Not saying anyone on this forum specifically, but I'd rather wait and see and prepare myself for disappointment rather than suffer it unexpectedly. We're still not in the financial bracket of Manchester United, we're miles off the spending power of Chelsea and probably in around the same position as Arsenal when it comes to buying proven first team players.

Also, if its a case of Barca wanting to sell him not him wanting to leave then surely it would be upto the player himself where he goes. I know he has talked about us favourably in the past and next Tuesday he is going to see what its like when you play for Liverpool.

By the same token, reports also saying Robben is fed up at having a bit part role at Chelsea so may be available in the summer. Would anyone here be happy to see the diving little tw@t playing for Liverpool after what he did with Reina? As far as I'm concerned, even though he has been a little sh#tbag and takes a dive, I would snap him up. A class player. Ironically I can also see him being easier to get hold of than Alves, who along with Villa must be the two most sought after players in La Liga right now.

Thoughts?
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 pm

How old it Eto???

I think he would be a great signing, but IMO we need wingers more than we need a striker, as for Robben I wouldn't like that kind of player at Liverpool.
KRobbo10

Postby stmichael » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:31 pm

KRobbo10 wrote:How old it Eto???

eto'o is 26 next week.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby weringo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:48 pm

I also noticed the Eto'o story in the Mirror this morning but they might just be jumping on the fact that hes not been on good terms with Rijkaard and are just speculating.

We do need to be more agressive in the transfer market and move in for players when they seem unsettled at their club, I wouldnt say no to use buying Robben but I really can't see it happening as Chelsea would never sell argueably the best left winger in the world to one of their closest rivals. Unless his contract runs out soon....?
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby nifan82 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:49 pm

Eto'o would be a class signing for us, scores loads of important goals. An easy 20-25 goals a season, something that we need and that are missing!

As for Robben, id say he would be another good one, but there is alot of bad blood between us and him as mentioned above! Also very injury prone is he not???

Two players with loads of pace and the ability to score goals, wouldnt hear any complaints from me if they were to sign!!
nifan82

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:54 pm

Just wait until he samples the atmosphere at Anfield next week...he will be gagging to come to LFC next season :;):
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:55 pm

stmichael wrote:I can also see him being easier to get hold of than Alves, who along with Villa must be the two most sought after players in La Liga right now.

Thoughts?

We should have coughed up the extra money when we had a chance to get him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Eto'o

2003/04 : Mallorca
Games: 36
Goals: 21

2005/06 : Barcelona
Games: 46
Goals: 32

2006/07 : Barcelona
Games: 7
Goals: 6

2006/07 : Cameroon
Games: 4
Goals: 4

David Villa

2004/05 : Real Zaragoza
Games: 30
Goals: 15

2005/06 : Valencia
Goals: 26

2006/07 : Valencia
Games: 29

2006/07 : Spain

------------

Both are awesome strikers. Both (imo) would suit our game. Both would cost alot of money. Both are on the wish-list of every club that is rich enough. And both will be extremely hard to prise away from their clubs (as I believe the current eto'o spat will resolve itself when he starts scoring a shed-load of goals again) And I would be happy, no extremely happy if one of them came to anfield in the summer
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:00 pm

stmichael wrote:given the blue light to go

shouldnt that be the 'green light' mate    :D

i read that the new owners have told rafa the money is there to buy him, but to be honest i wouldnt believe anything the papers say, lets see what happens
112-1077774096

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm

As for Robben. Again, I would be very happy to see him here, as there is no doubt about his quality as a winger, but would chelsea sell him to us?

And I would be very happy to see Alves here, but sounds like we are gonna have a real fight on our hands, not just from chelsea and other clubs, but also the fact that Sevilla are currently 2nd in the league, 4points clear of valencia and madrid, and only 2 points off Barca.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:08 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Eto'o

2003/04 : Mallorca
Goals: 21

2005/06 : Barcelona
Games: 46
Goals: 32

2006/07 : Barcelona
Games: 7
Goals: 6

2006/07 : Cameroon

David Villa

2004/05 : Real Zaragoza
Games: 30

2005/06 : Valencia
Goals: 26

2006/07 : Valencia
Games: 29

2006/07 : Spain

------------

Both are awesome strikers. Both (imo) would suit our game. Both would cost alot of money. Both are on the wish-list of every club that is rich enough. And both will be extremely hard to prise away from their clubs (as I believe the current eto'o spat will resolve itself when he starts scoring a shed-load of goals again) And I would be happy, no extremely happy if one of them came to anfield in the summer

I think we should buy both, and Robben :D

Imagine that:

Gerrard Sissoko Alonso Robben

Eto'o    Villa

Unfortunately that will never happen  :(
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby tithead » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:22 pm

First things first, it was the mirror reporting that, secondly Chelsea would outbid you in wages and in a transfer fee, and Eto'o comes across as a huffy mercenary, happy to take the most money he can get.
tithead

Postby supersub » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:25 pm

Have to agree with tithead on that score.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby KRobbo10 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Eto and Villa are the type of players we need to start buying if we want to win the league, even though they would cost us alot of money they would be worth it.

I would like to see SWP or Lennon bought, to give us abit of pace and skill on the wing
KRobbo10

Postby kop king » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:34 pm

Don't bother with Eto just get Villa world class and try a bid for Arjen Robben him and one more defender and we will be sorted.
"Fook Off Chelsea FC, You aint got no history"
kop king

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion