Dossena - Credit crunch

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby roberto green » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 pm

I think its more a problem because he hasnt done much for as of yet if it was Toress last season we would be saying so what
roberto green

Postby DAV » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:19 pm

infact what is more disturbing is
some people on here
we hate chelsea as they bort the league signing players as they just wanted the wage.
some liverpool fans hated gerrard for his once possible move to chelsea
Seems the way it is going (i am supporter who has been travelling to anfield since 1986 first season ticket 1987)
seems tradition,history ,loyalty (not with players in this case but fans) means nothing anymore.
If all the fans want is glory at any cost.
then keep hicks and co let them arrange a ground share with man utd. as money talks more than anything else in your eyes. win the league and let bobby charlton present us with the trophy.
where does the line get drawn before our game becomes part of wall street
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:19 pm

i think what DAV is trying to say is there is no need for some things to be spilled out? its surely disgusting if a player is motivated by money to play for us and it will affect his performances on the pitch coz he wont show as much passion as a local lad who has much more pride. but im sure the journo stirred some sh!t here.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby DAV » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:21 pm

robert green i dont no you and to be frank i dont want it
no wonder so many people of back in the day dont post on here any more.

u really think if this was torress it would change anything

is that it, thats your post, thats your point you really think its down to ability

silly boy

one day you will grow up and see the big wide world
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:32 pm

Not sure that's entirely necessary... does every discussion on here end in people patronising each other?
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:34 pm

DAV wrote:infact what is more disturbing is
some people on here
we hate chelsea as they bort the league signing players as they just wanted the wage.
some liverpool fans hated gerrard for his once possible move to chelsea
Seems the way it is going (i am supporter who has been travelling to anfield since 1986 first season ticket 1987)
seems tradition,history ,loyalty (not with players in this case but fans) means nothing anymore.
If all the fans want is glory at any cost.
then keep hicks and co let them arrange a ground share with man utd. as money talks more than anything else in your eyes. win the league and let bobby charlton present us with the trophy.
where does the line get drawn before our game becomes part of wall street

That's quite a vector you've gone on there... very extreme.

Money talks - I don't like it, but that's the footballing world we live in, the reality if you like.

If everyone who is motivated by money leaves the club, I wonder how many players we'd have left?
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby Yooj Bigullz » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Jimmy the Weasel wrote:Not sure that's entirely necessary... does every discussion on here end in people patronising each other?

Run along.
Yooj Bigullz

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:42 pm

Yooj Bigullz wrote:
Jimmy the Weasel wrote:Not sure that's entirely necessary... does every discussion on here end in people patronising each other?

Run along.

V good!
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

An Interview With Andrea Dossena

Andrea Dossena has had a mixed start to his Liverpool career, showing promising signs when going forward but equally worrying ones when he has to defend. Back in Italy, however, there are few doubts about the player who became Liverpool’s most expensive defender when he joined from Udinese last July.

A regular in Marcello Lippi’s new look national team, so highly rated is Dossena that questions have been asked about why a player of his ability had to go abroad to further his career. That matter was at the core of a recent interview by Christian Giordano for the weekly magazine Guerin Sportivo

Andrea, how does it feel?

It is all different, both on and off the pitch. Starting from the stadia that are more beautiful and advanced. The way the game is played is also different. I watched Inter against Roma on television: they played with the ball on the ground. Here the game is much more physical, you run more and there is less time to think.

Afraid of not making it?

I wouldn’t say that I don’t feel up to it, but it takes time to get used to it. In Glasgow against Rangers I understood that here you can get away with everything with the referees: they only blow for tackles with two feet or worse. And training is completely different. There’s neither the running nor the repetition that I was used to. It is only an hour with the ball, but it is very intense. I can’t understand how they do it: compared to us they do half the work but run twice as much. It is a question of mentality, how they approach the game. If we Italians ran as much as they did, we’d be world champions every time.

Difficulties outside football?

The normal adaptation problems. Everything is new both in football and in life. Together with my wife (whom he married just before leaving for England) we have bought a house in the centre. I understand English and can make myself understood. Two or three times a week we take lessons before going for training. I already knew something and I get better every day.

With Benitez you talk in Italian?

No, English. Just as he does with the rest. He talks four languages but shouts in neither one. He occasionally gives me some pointers in Italian.

Perhaps on how to handle pressure? This year you have to win the Premier League.
We are Liverpool. Pressure is normal. It was there in the preliminary round of the Champions League and it is there in the league that they’ve been waiting for since 1990. But it is pressure that you don’t mind. The important thing is being healthy. Football is secondary.

What do you miss the most?

The simple things that then become the vital things. The way of life, going out to eat. Little habits that you need. You only realize how much they mater when you lose them. I’ve signed for four years, I hope that my wife manages to settle.

Are you managing in the team?

Everyone is willing to help, starting from Gerrard. The supporters appreciate those who do their utmost so I haven’t had any problems. I don’t forget how I got here. In football it is easy to go up yet even easier to go down. Compared with Udine I’ve changed my position: with Marino I played higher up the pitch and we often played with three in the centre of defence. Benitez wants me to play in the more traditional left-back role in a four man defence.

Given also the lack of decent left backs, how come an Italian international had to leave Italy?

I didn’t chose to leave. The big teams had other plans whilst Benitez called and asked me: “Andrea, are you ready?” We settled everything within a week.
From Lodi to Anfield, your story seems like a fairy tale. With a happy ending?I started at Fanfulla and moved to Verona when I was fourteen. If I’ve arrived so far it is thanks to the hard work and sacrifice. We’re doing will but I want to live day by day.
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:51 pm

Think the original interview has been twisted by sky somehow
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby GYBS » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 pm

cant see anything major there - think pretty much most players are motivated by money in many ways - doesnt mean he will give anything less when he is on the pitch and im pretty sure boing him is the way of england fans not liverpool fans .

owen was motivated by money for years while with us - didnt stop him playing his heart out every week .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:40 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:An Interview With Andrea Dossena

Andrea Dossena has had a mixed start to his Liverpool career, showing promising signs when going forward but equally worrying ones when he has to defend. Back in Italy, however, there are few doubts about the player who became Liverpool’s most expensive defender when he joined from Udinese last July.

A regular in Marcello Lippi’s new look national team, so highly rated is Dossena that questions have been asked about why a player of his ability had to go abroad to further his career. That matter was at the core of a recent interview by Christian Giordano for the weekly magazine Guerin Sportivo

Andrea, how does it feel?

It is all different, both on and off the pitch. Starting from the stadia that are more beautiful and advanced. The way the game is played is also different. I watched Inter against Roma on television: they played with the ball on the ground. Here the game is much more physical, you run more and there is less time to think.

Afraid of not making it?

I wouldn’t say that I don’t feel up to it, but it takes time to get used to it. In Glasgow against Rangers I understood that here you can get away with everything with the referees: they only blow for tackles with two feet or worse. And training is completely different. There’s neither the running nor the repetition that I was used to. It is only an hour with the ball, but it is very intense. I can’t understand how they do it: compared to us they do half the work but run twice as much. It is a question of mentality, how they approach the game. If we Italians ran as much as they did, we’d be world champions every time.

Difficulties outside football?

The normal adaptation problems. Everything is new both in football and in life. Together with my wife (whom he married just before leaving for England) we have bought a house in the centre. I understand English and can make myself understood. Two or three times a week we take lessons before going for training. I already knew something and I get better every day.

With Benitez you talk in Italian?

No, English. Just as he does with the rest. He talks four languages but shouts in neither one. He occasionally gives me some pointers in Italian.

Perhaps on how to handle pressure? This year you have to win the Premier League.
We are Liverpool. Pressure is normal. It was there in the preliminary round of the Champions League and it is there in the league that they’ve been waiting for since 1990. But it is pressure that you don’t mind. The important thing is being healthy. Football is secondary.

What do you miss the most?

The simple things that then become the vital things. The way of life, going out to eat. Little habits that you need. You only realize how much they mater when you lose them. I’ve signed for four years, I hope that my wife manages to settle.

Are you managing in the team?

Everyone is willing to help, starting from Gerrard. The supporters appreciate those who do their utmost so I haven’t had any problems. I don’t forget how I got here. In football it is easy to go up yet even easier to go down. Compared with Udine I’ve changed my position: with Marino I played higher up the pitch and we often played with three in the centre of defence. Benitez wants me to play in the more traditional left-back role in a four man defence.

Given also the lack of decent left backs, how come an Italian international had to leave Italy?

I didn’t chose to leave. The big teams had other plans whilst Benitez called and asked me: “Andrea, are you ready?” We settled everything within a week.
From Lodi to Anfield, your story seems like a fairy tale. With a happy ending?I started at Fanfulla and moved to Verona when I was fourteen. If I’ve arrived so far it is thanks to the hard work and sacrifice. We’re doing will but I want to live day by day.

I'm happy to admit that i don't think he is worth the money but it is good to read an interview like that to understand the changes the foreign lads face when they come over to England. Not just the pace of the football and the differences in training but also the culture, the language, the accent!!!, the weather, worrying whether the family will settle etc. You can certainly understand why so many fail to settle at all plus why some take time to find their feet.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:07 am

I can understand why a lot of people are getting aggravated by this but it was translated from Italian and i would like to see someone else besides the sensationalist journalists translate him.

I am not going to jump down his throat about something that he eligibly said. For someone who is trying to make a good impression at his new club I seriously doubt that he would say something so stupid. On the other hand I do not doubt that football journalists would make a meal out of nothing just to :censored: us off
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:36 am

roberto green wrote:I think everyone is reading too much into it.It has probaly be worded wrong and come out the wrong way,even if he did come for the money how many players that have played for us in the past 5 years have come for the money? the list would be endless.

It isn,t as if Liverpool are giving him mega bucks like a Chelsea or man city cos really he is a unknown quantity im sure if he herd Liverpool f.c were interested in him with their history in Europe that would of went some way towards his move.

:nod , i think you've got it right
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:09 pm

He is worried about the credit crunch?  I'm worried that a footballer obviously spends his freetime reading the Financial Times rather than on the Playstation.  What the hell is the world coming to?
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion