Credit where credit is due - The board

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:17 pm

I feel this had to be said given the stick (some of it justified) that the people in charge of this club received last summer over our transfer activity. Many fans felt that the board did not sufficiently back the manager as they had done to previous managers such as Houllier and I feel they may have had a point.

I'll be honest, I'm not Rick Parry's greatest fan but, skint or not no one can accuse him and Moores of not backing Rafa well this summer. The only target we missed out on was Alves because his price was simply too high. Whilst i was gutted at the time and remain so, the board deserve a lot of credit for this summer. They have got every single top target Rafa has wanted bar one and in that case they managed to get in his second choice.

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

Thats an outlay of around £30m which is fantastic and shows we're trying to compete with Chelsea as best we can for the title. Let us just hope that these players Rafa has brought in are worth the money becauise if they are (and everyone i've seen play has been very good so far) then our squad is as complete as it has ever been.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:20 pm

30 million    :D

chelsea pay that for one player and we get 6 very good additions.

they are getting ripped odd, sure having money has advantages but it also drives the price up
112-1077774096

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:26 pm

it was rumoured that Liverpool had given Rafa a £20-£25million war chest at the end of last season, if you take off the money we received from our sales it was about right. Considering we are struggling to get the money for a new stadium I think the board have backed Rafa as much as they could. I am very pleased (at the moment :D ) Looks like we have done very good business to me.
account deleted by request

Postby ivor_the_injun » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 pm

Definitely no complaints here. All the new signings so far have hit the ground running, and obviously we're all interested to see how Kuyt fares.

Similarly, some good business on the sales front as well.

Good and patient business done by the club, I reckon. :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:32 pm

To be honest they had to back Rafa following on from his successful first two years. People need to remember the squad we had when he took over. It was our weakest squad in living memory. What we have now is our best squad since the early nineties.

The next logical step is the title, it's what we all want more than anything and if they hadn't backed rafa this summer then the opportunity would have passed. Right now, it is on!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby thegreedo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 pm

stmichael wrote:I feel this had to be said given the stick (some of it justified) that the people in charge of this club received last summer over our transfer activity. Many fans felt that the board did not sufficiently back the manager as they had done to previous managers such as Houllier and I feel they may have had a point.

I'll be honest, I'm not Rick Parry's greatest fan but, skint or not no one can accuse him and Moores of not backing Rafa well this summer. The only target we missed out on was Alves because his price was simply too high. Whilst i was gutted at the time and remain so, the board deserve a lot of credit for this summer. They have got every single top target Rafa has wanted bar one and in that case they managed to get in his second choice.

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

Thats an outlay of around £30m which is fantastic and shows we're trying to compete with Chelsea as best we can for the title. Let us just hope that these players Rafa has brought in are worth the money becauise if they are (and everyone i've seen play has been very good so far) then our squad is as complete as it has ever been.

Good shout St Mike I have been fairly vocal in the past with my criticism of the board, especially regarding the new stadium fiasco, but I must say I wouldn't disagree with a word you said in your post. This years conduct in the transfer market has been a vast improvement on last year. With the board now clearly backing Rafa there should be no limit to what he can achieve. The squad we now have truly excites me and Saturday simply can't come quick enough!!

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:56 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Similarly, some good business on the sales front as well.

yeah, anybody who can get traore a CL winners medal and then sell him for quadruple what we brought him for deserves the freedom of the city if you ask me.

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:58 pm

stmichael wrote:
ivor_the_injun wrote:Similarly, some good business on the sales front as well.

yeah, anybody who can get traore a CL winners medal and then sell him for quadruple what we brought him for deserves the freedom of the city if you ask me.

:laugh:

A knighthood if he can sell Diao  :D
account deleted by request

Postby dward » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:03 pm

People thought that Rafa wasn't getting enough backing, but he's spent almost £30m!

Good to see to Rafa's team making progress with the help of the board. :)
Last edited by dward on Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:07 pm

Houllier fecked us up good style with his over spending on the wrong players, even though we give the likes of Biscan and Diao abuse over the years it wasnt their fault they where :censored: it was Houllier who signed them at the end of the day.
We are still paying the conseqences with that over spending, Cisse, Le Tallec, Cheyrou, tw@tface Diouf, and the likes.

But at the end of the day if the board had not have backed him, we would have given them dogs abuse.

I was over the moon when Rafa extended his contract a few weeks ago, and the board must have been honest with him and told him about how much would be available.

But as Rafa said its not about the best players, its about the right players.

And to be honest I would'nt want LFC in anyone else's hands, I know we havent got Real Madrids or Romans millions.
But Parry and Moores put LFC first and for most its always been a sort of family run business and thats why our clubs special.

So thanx Rick and David for giving Rafa what he needs to make us more successfull.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:21 pm

Great business. If someone had told me we would sign Bellamy, Kuyt, Gonzalez and Pennant and all for £26m i would have thought it impossible. We have a real chance in the League now. :)
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby HacksawJimDuggin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:37 pm

The final piece of the Rafa/Liverpool 2006/2007 jigsaw is in place. I am a happy fan. A very happy fan.

Well done Rafa and the board! :D
HacksawJimDuggin
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:05 pm

Perhaps the mistake of the board was allowing Houllier waste that amount of money. Now they have to find a balance between the money they give to Benitez (support to him) and keeping the accounts safe (not going to bankrupcy).

30M might be not enough if you compare to Chelsea, but it is an important sum of money if you go with it to Europe. RM is offering "Ridiculous" amounts for Alonso or Diarra, because right now the money being offered in England has broke the market. No Spanish, German or Italian team is paying that amounts.

I don't think that Benitez is unhappy with what he's spending. And he must be chuffed with the independence that he's enjoying in England. By independence I mean, that in Spain the president has too much power and often makes the signings that he chooses not what the  coach/manager chooses (and often to win some money in the proccess).

So from outside it seems that they're doing just ok!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:07 pm

All hail the board  :bowdown

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:04 pm

And to be honest I would'nt want LFC in anyone else's hands, I know we havent got Real Madrids or Romans millions.
But Parry and Moores put LFC first and for most its always been a sort of family run business and thats why our clubs special.

I agree totally, although at times its frustrating hearing we cant afford this and we dither over that. I'd rather the likes of Moores in control of our club than some tycoon with billions to spend on a new project, And in turn see the clubs morals go down the drain.
66-1112520797

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion