Credit where credit is due - The board

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:07 pm

stmichael wrote:I feel this had to be said given the stick (some of it justified) that the people in charge of this club received last summer over our transfer activity. Many fans felt that the board did not sufficiently back the manager as they had done to previous managers such as Houllier and I feel they may have had a point.

I'll be honest, I'm not Rick Parry's greatest fan but, skint or not no one can accuse him and Moores of not backing Rafa well this summer. The only target we missed out on was Alves because his price was simply too high. Whilst i was gutted at the time and remain so, the board deserve a lot of credit for this summer. They have got every single top target Rafa has wanted bar one and in that case they managed to get in his second choice.

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

Thats an outlay of around £30m which is fantastic and shows we're trying to compete with Chelsea as best we can for the title. Let us just hope that these players Rafa has brought in are worth the money becauise if they are (and everyone i've seen play has been very good so far) then our squad is as complete as it has ever been.

This is the key thing for me.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and its only been a couple of games that Pennants played and Kuyt is yet to dot the i's on his contract but:

Would you rather we had signed Alves and not got Kuyt as well, or are you (retrospectively) very happy with Pennant and Kuyt ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:08 pm

great shout st mike we have been cool calm and collected in the market this year which is a million miles away from the past couple of years but i also believe that this is alot to do with rafa not demanding this player then that but looking at a few targets that can get the job done...

all we need now is the right stadium to dominate club football from... what a great chance for liverpool as a city to have a stadium that could attact the attention of the world, similar to cardiff that has improved the city as a whole due to the major events, and moneythat it has attracted, sporting and show biz wise
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
stmichael wrote:I feel this had to be said given the stick (some of it justified) that the people in charge of this club received last summer over our transfer activity. Many fans felt that the board did not sufficiently back the manager as they had done to previous managers such as Houllier and I feel they may have had a point.

I'll be honest, I'm not Rick Parry's greatest fan but, skint or not no one can accuse him and Moores of not backing Rafa well this summer. The only target we missed out on was Alves because his price was simply too high. Whilst i was gutted at the time and remain so, the board deserve a lot of credit for this summer. They have got every single top target Rafa has wanted bar one and in that case they managed to get in his second choice.

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

Thats an outlay of around £30m which is fantastic and shows we're trying to compete with Chelsea as best we can for the title. Let us just hope that these players Rafa has brought in are worth the money becauise if they are (and everyone i've seen play has been very good so far) then our squad is as complete as it has ever been.

I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and its only been a couple of games that Pennants played and Kuyt is yet to dot the i's on his contract but:

Would you rather we had signed Alves and not got Kuyt as well, or are you (retrospectively) very happy with Pennant and Kuyt ?

I would have preferred Alves to be honest but that's solely down to the fact that I know fark-all bout Kuyt and have never been a big fan of Pennant.

But what the hell do I know? I'm sure Rafa's gone and got us the right players.....

Sure makes for an interesting time this season though as expectations are now sky high... at least here....  :D

So C'mon the reds!!!!
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

What about you, what do you think ?
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm

ConnO'var wrote:Sure makes for an interesting time this season though as expectations are now sky high... at least here....  :D

I'm trying to reign in my expectations because we're certainly being hyped up at the moment. We've had too many false dawns in the last 16 years, particularly under Houllier, and I don't want to start expecting us to win the title until we've started to prove we have the consistency to do it because the crushing disappointments that have followed isolated moments of success in the past are still too recent.

I know Rafa is a totally different beast to GH and has given us the right to start believing with conviction again but there are still some areas that need to be addressed.

Proof of the pudding could arrive in mid September when we visit the Bridge. If we're unbeaten going there and remain unbeaten when we leave then there's room for more than just hope.

I'll stick to hope over expectation. For now. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:27 pm

hopefully cisse will be doing good in marseille, he can turn to a massive cash when coming back, i wouldn't complain if he's worth around 8 or £9M
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:37 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:

Kuyt £10m
Gonzalez £4m
Aurelio (free)
Palleta £2m
Bellamy £6m
Pennant £6.7m

What about you, what do you think ?

I think that the no risk element of Pennant, (ie he was already proven at this level), along wit hthe fact that Kuyt was obviously a target of Rafa's for a long time (we have been linked with him since Rafa's arrival) means we have the best option.

Had we gone for the extra dosh with Alves and not been able to add Kuyt to the attack, I feel we would have been in a weaker position.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:23 pm

The board have done a decent job of backing rafa this season......

But came across this article. Most likely it is 99.9% false....but if it was true ..........i will be PI$$ED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.talklfc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24210
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:33 pm

The_Rock wrote:But came across this article. Most likely it is 99.9% false....but if it was true ..........i will be PI$$ED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me your not being serious Rock  ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GOAT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:39 pm

Ciggy wrote:
The_Rock wrote:But came across this article. Most likely it is 99.9% false....but if it was true ..........i will be PI$$ED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah i read that, better f.uckin not be true
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:42 pm

GOAT wrote:
Ciggy wrote:

Yeah i read that, better f.uckin not be true

:D
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Everton were on SSN earlier, spinning a story about how they are always looking to improve their fans' experience at Goodison despite the fact they are looking for a ground move.

Their evidence to support this claim? They installed a system for season tickets like the one we already have where you get it scanned and it opens the turnstile.

You couldn't make this sh#t up.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm

stmichael wrote:Everton were on SSN earlier, spinning a story about how they are always looking to improve their fans' experience at Goodison
Their evidence to support this claim? They installed a system for season tickets like the one we already have where you get it scanned and it opens the turnstile.

You couldn't make this sh#t up.

Yer improve their sh1thole, they are still advertising season tickets on Radio City and in the Echo so them turnstyles wont be getting used much.
Peoples club my @rse.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby thegreedo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:50 pm

The_Rock wrote:The board have done a decent job of backing rafa this season......

But came across this article. Most likely it is 99.9% false....but if it was true ..........i will be PI$$ED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Load of.....

:D

"BIGGER??.... I'M NOT 'AVIN' THAT!.... TELL ME WHO'S BIGGER THAN LIVERPOOL???" - Jamie Carragher.

Drummer, gone but never forgotten!
thegreedo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:44 am

:laugh:
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion