Diouf - Is diouf a waste of money?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sdobson83 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:07 pm

El Hadj Diouf is a popular point of discussion between me and my mates. some of whom, unfortunately support the scum. Diouf is a constant cause of laughter during every liverpool game i watch. To be honest i can see where they come from.i mean is he worth £10 million.  Compared to Anelka who we could have kept at the same price - i wonder.  To be fair to Diouf he tries really hard, but his constant wingeing is a worry. also the amount of times he gives the ball away in a a game is criminal. What do you think? Hot prospect or flop?
sdobson83

Postby Gareth G » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:47 pm

I think there's room for improvement with Diouf, the best thing he's done for Liverpool was that flick on Saturday. Anyway i do think he's good, well can be good but he has to go down as a flop for his price tag. As you said his constant moaning is a worry and not to mention his acting skill's he so poorly display's in diving, he remind's me of the little guy in the Coca Cola promotion on the premiership!

He will ending up costing us a match some time when he will get sent off for diving or moaning, i've never seen him sent off or booked for a visious tackle before.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:31 pm

He's a decent player. Nothing more, nothing less.

Never worth £10m.... £3m-£4m maybe.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Not worth the money unfortunately.

Not as bad as some people make out, and slowly (but very slowly) improving, but he's a big disappointment given that he was signed instead or Anelka or Damien Duff.

He has his talents, but he's not that great in the box and he doesn't have the vision to set him aside: on Saturday when he wiggled past J Lloyd Samual in the first half and ran to the by-line he just flashed the ball across the face of the goal, when he should have picked out Owen, who was totally unmarked, standing and screaming for the ball.

The likes of Duff, Pires, Giggs etc would have picked out their man.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:52 pm

Duff, Giggs, Pires and Kewell are probably the best 4 left wingers around so its unfair to compare him to them. But i can see your point.

As i said before... decent player. Would be good coming off the bench if we're a goal down or something. Good squad player basically.
115-1073096938

Postby JBG » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:11 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Duff, Giggs, Pires and Kewell are probably the best 4 left wingers around so its unfair to compare him to them. But i can see your point.

As i said before... decent player. Would be good coming off the bench if we're a goal down or something. Good squad player basically.

Sorry.

Since when did Liverpool football club ever want to compete with the very best?

Poor ickle Diouff, maybe we should play him in the Welsh league so as not to be too hard on him.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby catenacio » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:55 pm

Why are there so many hypocrits out there ?  If diouf was english, with his work rate you know you would be saying "he's a cracker that diouf - hes such an honest hardworking lad" but because he's not english?  - you judge him by different (higher) standards.  BE FAIR
catenacio

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:16 am

JBG... Back off your sounding stupid now.

Catenacio we aren't saying this about him because he's not English, Hyypia, Hamann (German of all nationalities) and Kewell (Aussie) are all loved by the fans.

The fact is he's not good enough to be a first 11 player and probably never will be.

The comment about the Germans isn't meant to offend by the way, i'm just stating that if it was soley down to nationality the reason we'd not favour one player over another, the amount of people that would be on Hamann's back would be immense due to past events.
115-1073096938

Postby Dalglish » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:32 am

Diouf has slowly improved this season but I tend to agree that at the price he simply doesn't compare with the likes of Duff, Pires and Kewell. When you consider we let Anelka go for a similar price its painful :O
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby catenacio » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:33 am

Stu i am not saying that as a nation we invariably disfavour other nations in a xenophobic manner.  My point is that dioufs style of play would be more accepted if he were english i.e. hard working - people have the misconception that africans are all flair players.

Think about players such as danny murphy - honest, hard working, accepted, not terribly gifted......... do i need to go on ?
catenacio

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:46 am

Murphy has intelligence and the ability to read the game. Diouf weather he's english, african or from mars doesn't and isn't worth £10m.
115-1073096938

Postby supersub » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:59 am

Diouf..worth £10 million? Not as a winger,but he wasn't bought to play on the wing.He began the season very well but he stll flatters to decieve.Sadly there never seems to be an end product after beating the defender down the flanks.Maybe if he was given the oppurtunity to play,what surely must be his favoured position,up-front he may begin to blossom now he's had a decent spell in the side or have the sands of time run out for El Hadji.I still believe there is potential but not at right midfield.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:26 am

The problem isnt with diouf its with the attitude of supporters. Me personally i think the only aspect of diouf that lets him down is his crossing of the ball but apart from that hes brilliant. Remember McManaman? if I remember rightly he wasnt noted for his crossing but his dribbling skills and his ability to get forward. What makes diouf much different from him? A bit more support from us supporters and you could just picture him now picking the ball up and running through the Man Utd defence and making them look foolishly at each other as he plants the ball in the back of the net ! It will happen !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red4life4after » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:57 am

stu_the_red wrote:Murphy has intelligence and the ability to read the game. Diouf weather he's english, african or from mars doesn't and isn't worth £10m.

U r kidding really!?Murphy is without an atom of intellelligence or maybe he used it in the ooposit way! Do u know how many balls he gives 2 the opponent players per game? ???? Murphy is a joke to English football.
red4life4after

Postby catenacio » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:07 am

Behave red4life!

Murphy is honest and hard working whilst not a truly great player.  He is good enough to get into our team at present (as proved by being picked!), he is tactically estute and he does score more than his fair share of goals for a midfielder (i know most are from set pieces).

At worst he is a valuable squad player, at best a regular team member
catenacio

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion