Asia trophy - is it a waste of time?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ian Rush's Right foot » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:11 am

As you all are probably aware we have this tour of the Far East:

Liverpool will play Hong Kong team South China on the opening day of the Barclays Asia Trophy next month, organisers said here on Wednesday.

English Premier League teams Portsmouth and Fulham will kick off the four-team tournament at the 40,000-capacity Hong Kong Stadium on July 24.

The third-place play-off and final will be played on July 27.

"For the Premier League the Barclays Asia Trophy is an opportunity to showcase both our competition and some of the biggest clubs in a part of the world where our support is strongest," said Richard Masters, the Premier League's director of sales and marketing.

Masters said the teams had not yet been finalised but he expected all the clubs would bring "very strong squads."

The Trophy, a pre-season tournament organised by the Premier League, is being hosted by Hong Kong for the first time.

We also have a game against shanghai on the 3rd of August. (only a week before we've got Villa)

Now i know that this is a good marketing oportunity for us but do you think this trip will benefit the team.

We will obviuosly have new players to acclimatise to the club and i feel these tours are a bit of a hindrence. i would much prefer for the team to do most pre-Season here in the UK.

Let me know your thoughts

....I'm the bee's knee, his legs and his arms.....
Ian Rush's Right foot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 am

Not the best preperation for the start of a season but in this day and age financial considerations have to be taken into account. Rafa has already said he was unhappy about the arrangement, but money talks.

I prefer a european tour, keeps the players together to bond, but doesnt tire them out with too much travelling.
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:33 am

A trophy is a trophy.

Along with the Rotterdam tournament.

If we are in it, then I want us to win.

Last season, our pre-season wasn't so good. We need a running start in the Prem so these two cups are a good opportunity to get serious and get into a good mindset.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:35 am

Masters said the teams had not yet been finalised but he expected all the clubs would bring "very strong squads."

Yeah, of course they want that, and no more than 3 subs in order we have great matches in Asia in the middle of the summer eh?

Sod off.

This rich ASian enterprises want the best teams in their tiny summer competitions, and of course they call Premiership and Spanish teams.

Tottenham played in Korea last year and could not say it had a negative impact in their season.

However, both Barcelona and Madrid paid this badly planned tournaments, especially when it was in "tour mode", no matter if it's America, or Asia. It's a bad idea because those people do not want you play Garcia and Arbeloa and Benayoun, they want Gerrad in the pitch. And if 90 mins even the better. And they want it because they pay you to go there.

So this tournaments, IMHO, break the plans of the manager to prepare well the season. I can't think of Rafa being happy to play this.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:10 am

well last season we stayed in europe and that went really well didnt it   ???

now stop being elitist, why shouldnt asians be allowed to watch quality players in the flesh, i dont think some of you realise how popular english football is out here, we watch every game in full, at weekends we have 5 live games on a saturday as well as the sunday games live, and midweek games, this of course generates revenue as the tv companies need to pay to get the rights, also there is marketing to take into account.

in thailand liverpool are the most popular club and the knowledge of most supporters is great, the older fans chat about the dalglish era etc. when liverpool last came to thailand every game was sold out and they were treated like gods, the hotel was swamped. the support is fanatical.

this tournemant has been held the last few years, the first was in malaysia where newcastle, chelsea and i cant remember who else came out, then it was thailand where i remember man city and i think everton (who are sponsored by a thai company) this year hong kong.

its not where we play thats important guys, its how we play and lets hope its not like last pre season in europe. also lets not forget we will play against two premier league teams, something we dont normally get to do in pre season
112-1077774096

Postby redtrader74 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:24 am

Ideally you wouldn't want to go there, as far as preparation for the new season goes, but at the same time it allows our fellow fans a chance to see the reds, probably once in a lifetime. Remember all the sh!t about the CL tickets and how the fans never got enough, well those fans in the far East are just as important. Infact their support is even more commendable, imagine never seeing the players live, or going to Anfield.

I just hope for the sake of successful marketing the players go out and play to win, it will help with the growth of the club and ensure the players are ready for the new season.
redtrader74
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:35 am

My main worry about these trips is how tired the players get. It also seems to effect the players tempers too. Remember the Ronaldo and Van Nist spat  :D  or Joey Barton's spat with Dunn? We dont want Bellamy taking his golf clubs :D

I appreciate what your saying peewee, but from a purely best for the team approach, I would prefer us to stay in europe. From a money and fan base point of view I can understand why we are going.
account deleted by request

Postby mungi » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:41 am

tbh dont think bellamy will be around for the pre season
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:47 am

now stop being elitist, why shouldnt asians be allowed to watch quality players in the flesh, i dont think some of you realise how popular english football is out here, we watch every game in full, at weekends we have 5 live games on a saturday as well as the sunday games live, and midweek games, this of course generates revenue as the tv companies need to pay to get the rights, also there is marketing to take into account.

I don't like being elitist and I didn't mean it, of course I'd like to have more fans in Asia.

But with this crowded Calendars full of games, international and club games, our players having little rest (Gerrard said he needed one), what we don't need is this kind of arrangements if we want to do a good pre season plan.

And no, I'm not finding excuses for next year :laugh: it's just that I think it doesn't help.  :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:57 am

fair enough, but i think we have to acept that the premier league is global and all premier league teams will be snt for this tournament at some point,

but its only the flight that can be tiring but i am sure they will all sleep soundly in business class
112-1077774096

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:52 am

i think its a good opportunity to develop our marketing. yer ok to be fair its true that the players may gain fatique before the season has even started. in that point i understand.
but liverpool is so popular and the extra finances the club will gain through the sales of merchandise in asia if successful could result in enough to help the club maybe with a few million. hey that might be enough to get us ronaldinho...i can dream :eyebrow
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:44 am

I can think of some pros. We are guarenteed a bit of quality oppo in the final, something that last season's pre-season lacked. We will make a mint (perhaps around 1m in total) which could be the difference in the transfer market. And we will further the brand which will make even more money in the rapidly expanding asian markets.
It's a bit of a treck but probably worth it.

Personally, I'd take pre-season a bit old school. Shankly used to make people play 120 minute matches to get them in peak fitness when they came in, a tactic that would probably give our chances of a running start a real boost. Still, as always, in a Rafa we trust.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:17 pm

I think its a great idea.  Of course, as HK is just around the corner from me I might be a little biased.

Its happening whether you like it or not, best make the most of it I think.  And it surely can't be too bad a warm up, with a game against a premiership team in the preseason.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Well it sure beats flying all the way to Japan in the midst of the league season to play in some rinky-dink FIFA club championship.  If it helps the players bond and get match fit, it'll be worth it.  And, of course, upping the club's revenue and solidifying the Asian supporter base will pay off down the road.  Let's just not field our best 11 for 90 minutes in Shanghai on August 3rd, though! ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:08 pm

I think its a great idea in all honesty. Global brand and all that. Also a good team bonding thingy in a different continnent, cant hurt.

and you know rafa wontlet them exert themselves too much
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion