Asia trophy - is it a waste of time?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Do they play much golf in Hong Kong? :D
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crillylfc » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:57 pm

if we had bought some players by now it would be a fantastic oppertunity start them off!!
crillylfc

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:26 pm

crillylfc wrote:if we had bought some players by now it would be a fantastic oppertunity start them off!!

Er seeing as the games are over three weeks away it probably still will be the perfect chance to play new players.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mr_weed_80@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 pm

lol lets not get back to the talk of when players will be signed
itl happen damnit, have liverpool ever not spent money in the summer???
mr_weed_80@hotmail.com

Postby ajaxs21 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:31 am

its all for the money lad
ajaxs21

Postby quayboy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:10 am

hi all
i am a pompey fan who is lucky enough to commentate on all our games and our local radio station is going to hong kong to broadcast.
lots of pompey fans are going and we were wondering if any liverpool fans fancy getting invovled in a fans cup to mirror the main one ?
thought it would be great to show the whole world just how good the liverpool fans really are and also to form a bond between the fans of the clubs playing

if you fancy it please get in touch by mailing me
mark.mudie@quayradio.com

thanks lads and have a great season (except against us lolol)
quayboy

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:30 am

liverpool last came to thailand every game was sold out and they were treated like gods, the hotel was swamped

I know I was there.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:35 am

Whether or not this tournament or indeed any other pre-season affair is a waste of time largely depends of course on how we approach it. If it turns into a seloctoral free for all where all the names get thrown into a hat and the random number generator chooses the formation, then yes it's a waste of time at best, and a fecking damaging exercise at worst.

If however we use the games sensibly, to give the team that is going to start against Villa at least an hour together, along with likely subs for that game and any "rotations" which may or may not occur for the next game against Chelsea then we may actually gain something from it. Having said that, that would apply regardless of where the tournament took place, and in any case has almost no chance of happening given our usual silliness in the coming months.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Salty Sock » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:56 pm

We should be chasing the grail my friends!!
Salty Honors Acceptee List: Graham01, grayghost, dawson99, Bamaga Man, GYBS, LegBarnes, frankp57, Toffeehater, crazyhorse , Number 9, dward, Judge, Sabre :) PM for info!

Salty Sock

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:55 pm

thanks lads and have a great season (except against us lolol)

The Asia Cup is OURS!!!!!

You cannot have it!!!!

:p
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:26 am

In case anyone cares, this is from the HKFA website

BARCLAYS ASIA TROPHY KEY FACTS

The Barclays Asia Trophy is to be held in Hong Kong in partnership with the Hong Kong FA

The 2007/08 curtain raiser tournament features Liverpool, Portsmouth, Fulham and South China

Portsmouth v Fulham:
  Tue 24 July 2007 6pm

Liverpool v South China:
  Tue 24 July 2007 8.30pm

3rd & 4th play-off:
  Fri  27 July 2007 6pm

Final:
  Fri  27 July 2007 8.30pm

All matches will be played at the 40,000 capacity Hong Kong Stadium

The two previous Premier League Asia Trophy competitions were played in Kuala Lumpur (2003) and Bangkok (2005).

The Kuala Lumpur Premier League Asia Trophy featured Birmingham City, Chelsea, Newcastle Untied and the Malaysia national side – winners: Chelsea (first trophy under Roman Abramovich).

The Bangkok Premier League Asia Trophy featured Bolton Wanderers, Everton, Manchester City and the Thai u23 national side – winners: Bolton Wanderers.

The Hong Kong Barclays Asia Trophy host broadcaster is now TV (PCCW) the new Hong Kong rights holder for the Barclays Premier League.

Match tickets for the tournament go on general sale from early July and will be available to purchase at the Hong Kong Stadium.

Ticket prices are HK$100 (senior citizens and students), HK$150, HK$200, HK$250 and HK$350.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:40 am

C'mon guys, you lot get to see the red heroes in the flesh virtually every weekend, heck some of you might even be neighbours, so why not spread the love around.

We(asians) too like to experience the Liverpool games. Just think of it of as acknowledging us asian support so we too can feel like we're part of the club. I'm sure we've made our contributions towards the good of this team.

-YNWA- :laugh:
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby Raoul » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:58 pm

Asia Trophy Ticket Sales

Tickets for the Barclays Asia Trophy go on sale today (July 7th) at the Hong Kong Stadium.  Tickets of price HK$250 & HK$350 were all sold out today.  Remaining 18,000 tickets of both match days (ticket price HK$100 - senior citizens and students, HK$150, HK$200) will continue to go on sale tomorrow (8th July) from 0900 to 1800 at the Hong Kong Stadium.

The tournament, which will feature Liverpool, Fulham, Portsmouth and South China AA after their triumph in the Hong Kong FA Cup, will take on a knock out format with a final to determine the winner and a play off to decide third place.
____

I arrived about midnight Friday night, there were about 2000 already there then, 3-4000 by the time ticket sales started at 9am Saturday.  I finally got my tickets at 3pm.

In the 15 or so hours I was in the stadium I saw no Fulham shirts, one Pompey shirt, a couple of South China shirts, while every third or fourth person was in a Liverpool replica shirt (mainly the current one, but i did see a few classics) or some sort of Liverpool T-shirt, hat, etc, etc, etc.  Amazing levels of support for the team in HK.

For what its worth, Gerrard is by far and away the most popular name on the back of shirts, with Alonso a distant second.  Even saw one guy with Torres on the back, so that was good quick work.

I don't know how many of these guys can sing YNWA, but these are passionate fans, who can't wait for the opportunity to see their team live.  I'm glad I've got the opportunity too - I might never get another one.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joko » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:14 pm

it's very important!

nuff said! :angry:

:D
ImageImage Image
joko
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:02 pm

These things are important to increase brand awareness of our club. The new owners want us to make to most of any opportunities that could lead to revenue. Its something Man Utd have done well but sadley its something we have never capitalised on even after winning the EC in 2005.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion