Diouf - Is diouf a waste of money?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:09 am

A joke to english football who has a higher pass completetion rate than Steven Gerrard, 82% to 79%, a better free kick ratio than David Beckham in the league last season both in terms of goals and shots on target and also a joke that scores 13 goals a season and usually gets a minimum of 10 goals.

Oh yeah, a joke that was our player of the season last year and a joke that had more goal assists than any other of our players last season.

Good intelligent footballer who creates chances for strikers as well as contributes to the goals scored charts.

He's not world class but he's by no means a joke. Your the joke for suggesting it. Good nite :)
115-1073096938

Postby red4life4after » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:39 am

I am sorry u see it like dat. But rate is a matter of proportion if u can score a goal in your 1st game your scoring rate is 1goal every game. Last year a lot of players like Riise were kicking free kicks which reduce the quantity of free kicks Murphy had to take. You cannot in any mean compare Murphy with Gerrard and Beckham they belong in different worlds. I recognise he had an impressive season last year but one good season, any normal player can have it look at Heskey in Leicester, Beatie last year and a lot more players in different leagues specially a year where all the great players has a full previous season! I like Murphy and respect his honest work rate but he definitly is not a liverpoolfc first team standard player.
red4life4after

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:00 am

Diouf has ball skills but unfortunately he does not apply them too intelligently - more oftern than not always try to dribble past more than one opponent which is really difficult given the standard of the players in the Premiership. You can try that in a casual game or on the park but not at this level.
Even the Ronaldos, Rauls or Zidanes of this world who has better dribbling skills, will not attempt to dribble through opponents every time.
Having said that, his work rate is very high and he needs to improve his passing and shooting to become a better player.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:43 am

Red4life thats a bit more like it to be honest.

Your first post (on this subject) was a joke imo... that last one is much more respectable and understandable.

He is a good player who will consistently score 10+ goals a season.

13 last season, 10 this and the season before. 6 already this seaon after missing games through injury aswell. would have been 7 if Delaney hadn't marked him properly :D

We can all see he's not as good as Gerrard, Kewell, Hamann and there are players out there who'd be better in his position... i.e. Malbranque. But at the end of the day at present he's the 4th best midfielder we have and he is by no means a bad player. Hopefully one day he'll be a cracking squad player, until that day arrives he deserves his place in the first team.

Nuff said i think.
115-1073096938

Postby simic_ie » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:25 pm

A lot of people are getting on Diouf's back about him not being intelligent of whinging too much etc. But lets put it into perspective. He is 22 years old, and has been in the Premiership 18 months with a majority of that at right mid.

We all seen him in the World Cup in Japan, he took the French apart. Now, at 22 there is no way in hell you can expect him to be the finished product. He has got all the skill in the world and regularly beats his man. His final ball isn't the best but remember how long he's been a winger. I think if we wnat to see the best of Diouf it will be playing just behind the main striker where he can get on the ball and run at a defence. He would cause havok because if he beat just one centre back that would open up the whole defence leaving room for the strikers to move into.

If we want to play counter attacking football I can't see anybody better in the Liverpool squad than him to play this way. We could have one up top, say Michael Owen, and Diouf playing behind him. With stretched defences he will make a difference. But I do agree that at £10million he was too expensive, especially when you consider that Damien Duff could have been the alternative
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:39 pm

stu_the_red wrote:JBG... Back off your sounding stupid now.

Stu, you just can't help getting personal and start laying out the insults, van you?

All the signs of a guy who hasn't a clue what he's talking about.

If you want to make people who disagree with you look stupid come up with a better arguement than theirs, not insult them.

You're a big man for dishing out the swear words and insults on a Internet message board, aren't you?

My arguement, which I don't think is stupid, is that for one reason or another we have played Diouff as a winger for the last 14 months. If we want to be the best, Diouff (and others) has to compete at Man UTD, Chelsea and Arsenal's level.

Saying that comparing Diouff to Giggs etc is "not fair on Diouff" is nonsense because we have no other choice but to compare him to these guys, because like it or lump it he is a first teamer.

If you disagree take your frustration out on Gerrard Houllier for signing him and picking him on the wing, not at me for just pointing out a sore reality.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:20 pm

Its very sad that our standards have fallen so low that we are not allowed to  compare the second most expensive player in liverpool history with similar players in the premier league.Why shouldnt we compare diouf with giggs duff or pires? he was bought to compete with these players.What does that say about houlliers judgement in the transfer market? If he is not good enough to compare with others or not good enough to play in his natural position then why did houllier spend 10 million quid on him? It makes me vomit to hear people describe diouf as a decent squad player.10 million on a f##king squad player!!! This club will continue to slide as long as we have people making excuses for mediocrity.Fourth spot should never be considered good enough for a club like liverpool,houllier should have been sacked the day he said it was.Shankly and Paisley must be turning in their graves.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bpm1976 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:23 pm

I was hoping for great things from Diouf, people can go on about his work rate, but his overall game is ferking awful!  From his passing, senseless running to poor finishing.  If it was work rate we wanted we should of signed bloody Robbie Savage! lol.  Oh, think he has scored more goals than Diouf to, as for the Celtic spitting epsidode, GH should of used that as an excuse to off-load him.  Not seen enough of Cisse, in this transfer market 12 million ish is alot of money.  However we are desperate for a proven goal scorer.  Maybe Fulham would take Diouf as part exchange for Saha, although maybe not as they have Barry Hayles as cover!
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

bpm1976

Postby JBG » Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:25 pm

GreenRed....spot on.

11 mill on a squad player?

We could have used the Cheyrou and Diouff money and spent it on Duff, and kept Litmannen, and we wouldn't be grumbling about Houllier anymore.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:11 pm

Like i've said he's made mistakes. This is one, he's not worth £10m but isn't a bad squad player.

The fact is he's here now and we're going to lose money selling him, there may also be times when his flair comes in useful so there is no point cribbing about it.

Whats done is done and its time we got on with it. In all honesty i think Gerard knows this. He's no fool as much as you want him to be. The good he's done by far outweighs the bad. He's had to rebuild the whole structure and hes done it successfully to a point, he's also got alot of excellent players under 25 so the squad will imrpove with experience and age.

He deserves this and one more season to prove we're still going in the right direction, last season we were awful, this season has been f##ked up by a rediculous injury list which would cripple any side let alone one thats trying to improve.
115-1073096938

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion